Author Topic: C-Y-O: Obscure word of the week.  (Read 9684 times)

Prolix

Re: Fremescence: Obscure word of the week.
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2008, 02:26:46 am »
Ya I know yammering at NPCs was a cheap stunt but it was good for a laugh. Somebody had to go for the extra consideration from posting chat logs. It will not likely put me over the top, anyway.
* Prolix goes on grumbling....
...past my prime...
...over the hill...
...lost sight of the brass ring...
* Prolix gets more exercised as he walks away...
When Will I Learn...
Stupid...STupID ... STUPID!!.....
* Prolix fremescently berates himself as he rounds the hill and goes out of earshot.

Look at me Ma! Call me Avis as I "try harder"
I better quit while I'm behind.

*snicker*

It kind of seems to me that fremescence implies an assortment of audio inputs such as a crowd of people, a set of rapids or the like. That means I am probably using it wrong even if I am parsing correctly the various grammatical forms. I have always believed that no dictionary has ever been complete because there are more ways to form words than are commonly used. A noun can be changed into a verb, adjective or adverb under the right circumstances and they in turn can be made into nouns. That is why you have entries such as
-ence suffix of nouns Forming nouns of action, quality, state or condition of adjectives in -ent.
or
prefix en- Forming transitive verbs ... From nouns ... adjectives ... and verbs
and
-en  suffix  Forming verbs from adjectives ... nouns

All these examples came from my Funk and Wagnalls Standard Dictionary International Edition  copyright 1965.

I always lost Scrabble because I'd be challenged for making up words and pointing to the combining form was not accepted.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Fremescence: Obscure word of the week.
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2008, 11:20:09 am »
Here, have a link, in case you run out of these ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:13:47 pm by Candy »
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Weavers

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Evanescence: Obscure word of the week.
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2008, 12:59:08 am »
By summary judgment, we once again declare Lolitra the winner for actually making fremescence sound like a commonly used word while imparting the complete meaning of the word in an organic way. Prolix arrived in a close second due to his ingame usage. Had he used the word with actual players, he may have pulled ahead.

Our next word shall be:
Evanescence
We visit a word in the same family as our last word. No, not the band. This word has a tricky usage, so be cautious. You may find it useful in conjunction with our second word.

New rule: More bonus points to someone who uses two or more of these words in a coherent sentence or paragraph. In game consideration still applies.

Prolix

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2008, 08:49:55 am »
1. Evanescence may occur if the invisibility spell is not quite perfectly cast. Properly cast the effect is immediate.

2. As we passed further down the lee side of the mountain and caught up with the plethora of fleeing rivulets the surrounding brumous patches evanesced into rainbow spangled flumes fremescently spilling their bounty of alpine nutrients into the intromissive tarns below.

I Must Be Acknowledged! I used every word and recycled my best single effort.  \\o//

(Maybe I am trying too hard)  ;D

::)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2008, 09:47:17 am »
Well, time to try again:

In the month of Dwanden, hoarfrost forms on the lower levels. During this time the Great Furnaces Warm the water of the Lake from below. As you ride in you vessel across the water, steam gently curls upward into view. As you pass through it, it's evanescence reveals a beautiful view of the Lake that is unique to the time.

:)

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2008, 11:55:24 am »
The Enkidukai looked out of his window, enjoying the view giving by the brumous morning. As the day went on in the fremescent city the evanescence of the morning fog revealed the true beauty of Hydlaa, the temple of Laanx.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2008, 12:47:34 pm »
Lolitra was shaken after the latest gathering in the Royal Courts.  The fremescent jostling of her thoughts left her reeling, dulling her usually acute perseptions.  The brumous morning now caused her eyes to dance to and fro over the evanescing scenary without actually catching a clear glimpse of anything.  There was a plethora of things to be done; all vying for her attention, none, right now, receiving it.  The words that had rung about the great halls earlier still stung her heart.

"Could it be? no...  surely the authority of the Throne was not evanecible? surely not!" she found herself saying as a grey figure evanesced into bumous swirls that danced into the shadows like droplets of ink fading into turbulent waters...
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Prolix

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »

Too bad I spelt this weeks word wrong.... :beta:

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2008, 09:33:26 pm »
A cold steel blade pierced the lemurs chest. As he looked around he found his world quickly becoming evanescent, the rogue and blade fading away. Soon the lemur's very world disappeared from sight. When the evanescence of Ojaveda was complete the lemur found himself staring into the dark depths of the Death Realm, the fremescence of the city gone. Dread filled him as he realized that the very darkness of this realm was so brumous that he feared no light could pierce it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:31:47 am by Duraza »
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2008, 07:13:07 am »
A cold steel blade pierced the lemurs chest. As he looked around he found his world quickly becoming evanescent, the rogue and blade fadding away. Soon the lemur's very world disappeared from sight. When the evanescence of Ojaveda was complete the lemur found himself staring into the dark depths of the Death Realm, the fremescence of the city gone. Dread filled him as he realized that the very darkness of this realm was so brumous that he feared no light could pierce it.

The highlighted part is not quite right - an active happening, cannot be a past happening - your tense is rather odd.  Perhaps 'evanescing' would be a better useage?
I also fadding?  Fading I presume hehe.
Also the fremescence of the city?  perhaps you mean the fremescence of the city's hubub? [this one is borderline debatable.]

I hope this helps? if not, oh hum.

Lolitra
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2008, 09:36:40 am »
The fremescence of the music written by Evanescence is unbearable.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2008, 11:11:54 am »
The highlighted part is not quite right - an active happening, cannot be a past happening - your tense is rather odd.  Perhaps 'evanescing' would be a better useage?
I also fadding?  Fading I presume hehe.
Also the fremescence of the city?  perhaps you mean the fremescence of the city's hubub? [this one is borderline debatable.]

I hope this helps? if not, oh hum.

Lolitra

Thanks Lolitra. Grammer and spelling were never my strong points  ;D
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2008, 06:22:11 pm »
Thanks Lolitra. Grammer and spelling were never my strong points  ;D

*Ahem*

It's spelled G-R-A-M-M-A-R. :P

Prolix

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2008, 08:29:59 pm »
I think it was ok to begin with, "When the evanescence of Ojaveda" was a subjunctive clause telling us  what "was complete," which was the past pluperfect modifier telling us when "the lemur found himself staring." The whole paragraph gives the feel of happening in a timeless manner but probably some indefinite time in the past. I must get myself a book of grammar. He might have missed some punctuation there somewhere maybe a comma or a semi-colon.

Then again I might have just made up the preceding completely. It could have no bearing on proper English.  ::|

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2008, 01:10:14 am »
Prolix - you cannot have a future tense and past tense together in the same sentence where the 'modifier' as you put it states it is over...
It could be ''when the evenescence of Ojaveda is complete, then the Lemur would find himself..." that would be more accurate - but a clumsy sentence still.

Getting a bit off topic, here, but I do not see a future tense in that sentence. In fact the future tense is not something that fits with a narrative style as it is a retelling of events that have already occurred. It all looks past tense to me, "found" is the past tense of "to find," "was" is the past tense of "to be." Is one of the forms I suggested typically used in the future tense or where do you see it, Lolitra?

Sorry,  I meant present and future-past, for the sentence starts out talking about the now, then it goes onto the future speaking of it as the past... it is a clash of tenses that do not sit right - Sorry to Duraza for making so much of this - as I do like his actual idea.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 05:04:52 pm by Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins »