Author Topic: A Spreading Darkness  (Read 685 times)

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
A Spreading Darkness
« on: August 25, 2004, 08:16:14 pm »
A young child stands before the entrance of a great city in disbelief for no longer is it a glorious city to which he was born. Flattened by the never ending seiges of men...men with so much greed and so little heart. There is no longer a standing gate, guarded by soliders wearing armor worth more then two peasents.
All that is left, rubble surrounded by more rubble..owned by the victors of a battle without cause.
Once there stood statues of great men who did great things and were rewarded great titles...now only dust and...rubble.

Children use to live here, use to play here, and grow old here..their lives were taken along with their mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers. No longer can family trees be started within this tore city...

After the loss of their city, the survivors who fled before battle will find a new peice of land and start reforming a new kingdom...with new gates...statues..families. It will bear a new history with new heros..who will stand to defend it, like the men before them..in a city before them. Then the chain of events will recycle like they have for so many decades...The darkness will spread to the gates but will the might of men hold them at bay..this time around....?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok now you can pick a choice continue the story of this new kingdom and detail its existence..or even to go farther as to its end. You can do that and continue the chains of events or just ignore this and let it end here.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 08:20:12 pm by DepthBlade »

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 12:47:08 pm »
steuben leaned the counter in sulka\'s tavern. he watched as the mulled rum was laddled into his mug. the cold wet weather outside and the cool damp of the caverns had seeped into his bones. after the steaming mug had been placed before him he takes a mouthful. the warmth and alcohol thawed both body and soul, except for the small nugget of ice behind his eyes. not even the full power of the azure sun would be able to thaw it.

steuben walked over to the pit and grabed a seat next to the fire place. the tavern was fuller then usual, but not that much busier. a group of refugees had arrived earlier in the week. some had come to the tavern to get out of the weather. but some had come to sell the only thing they had left, and they only had the clothes on their backs. steuben sat half watching the people, half absorbed in his mug.

in one corner sat an older man, a young woman stood behind protectivly him. opposite him at the table sat a thug. the thug gestured into the crowd. the old man nodded wearily. the thug laughed and stood up. before he left he looked at the woman. she tried not to cringe back, and mostly succeded.

steuben sat and watched them a while. he drained the last quarter of his mug and walked over to them. if asked why, his answer would have been, it is the thing to do. he sat down at the table. the old man looked up.

\"we don\'t have much,\" he said tiredly. \"but perhaps we can negotiate something. how much?\"

\"less then you\'re paying him.\" steuben gestured towards the thug that just left.

\"what, only one a night?\" the young woman retorted, anger failing to cover her fear.

steuben looked up at her. she tries to take a step back but collided with the wall. he turned back to the old man. \"merely, a bed, an equal share of food, and a chance to practice my trade.\"

the old man relaxed a bit. \"and what is your trade,\" he asks.

\"i was trained a smith. i think, perhaps,  it is time that i took up the trade again.\" he held up a hand to forestall comment. \"you may not have much need of one. but if he,\" he gestures towards the thug that had just left, \"is typical of the lot you\'ve hired, well they can barely take care of themselves let alone their equipment. when it finally fails you\'ll be worse off then if you hadn\'t hired them at all.\"

the old man nodded, \"can you weild a blade as well?\"

\"well, enough to be of use.\"

\"you come cheap, but you\'re welcome to join us. we leave from the main gate in two days.\"

\"two days.\" steuben noded and stood up from the table. \"i\'m not cheap. i\'m just charging what the buyer can bear\"

------------------

later that night in steuben\'s room,  he walks over to the dresser in the one corner. laid on top of it is a sword sheathed in a scabard. he pick up the scabard and pulls out the sword. it is a simple sword, but appears very well made. it is unadorned except for the impression of a scalloped ring on the blade just above the hand guard. the blade catches and throws the few bits of light coming in from the window. he resheathes the sword.

\"things will be interesting,\" he thinks to himself as it lays down on his bed.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 09:58:30 pm by steuben »
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 08:57:51 pm »
steuben sat by the small fire. he ran the whetstone along the edge of his sword blade. he reflected slightly on the events of the preceding day.

the bandit raid had been been swift. a few of the bandits hadn\'t made it back. neither had some of the guards. it had taken a couple of hours after that to organize the refugees into some semblence of order. during that time steuben managed to convince a number of the guards that it could be profitable to head after the bandits. the raid on the bandits had been profitable, the captured refugees rescued, additinal supplies obtained, and a proper look at the other guards in action.

the other guards were celebrateing their victory. a woman walked over to steuben as he sat by the fire. he drew the stone along the edge and off the curve. the blade rang slightly. the woman stopped on the opposite side of the fire from steuben. he reversed the blade and drew the stone along the other edge.

\"i guess you\'ll be wantn\' your payment now,\" she said.

he continued to draw the whetstone along the edge of sword. after the stone has rounded the tip of the stone he gestured towards the bowl and cutlery sitting off to one side before drawing the stone again along the edge. she stood there confused by his responce. he looked up, his hand continued the motions automatically.

\"if you want you can wash those.\"

\"but, the others,\" she gestured to the crowd behind her.

steuben\'s hand stopped.

\"they, \" his voice is distainful for the word, \"have made other arrangements. besides, if i don\'t take care of  this, \" he patted the sword lightly, \"it could mean that i come in second place the next time i need it. now you can either wash up and save me the ten minutes. or, you can continue on your way.\"

she walked over to the bowl and picked it up. steuben began to draw the stone along the edge of his sword again. the metallic hiss of stone against steel seemed to follow her as she walked off to wash the bowl and cutlery.

later that evening the young woman from the tavern walked over.

\"i should thank you for today. but i have to know why you did it,\" she asks.

steuben takes one last stroke along the blade with the stone. the sound seems to have a contented note to it.

\"it was my job,\" he responds simply.

he holds up the blade in the firelight. the light seems to split around the edge of the blade as he twists it to look at the edges.

\"you didn\'t have to go after them.\"

\"yes i did.\" he slid the blade home into its sheath. the hiss of leather on steel seemed faintly like a purr. \"if i hadn\'t i wouldn\'t be true to the oaths i swore when i forged this ring.\" his thumb fiddled with the ring on his right little finger, it glinted slightly in the fire light.

\"seems to be the only magic that iron will take.\" he chuckled slightly \"doesn\'t seem to weaken it either. once i took the job, i had to do what i did. but it isn\'t like i wouldn\'t have done it anyways.\"

he gestured towards the mostly passed out revelers. \"they at least had a choice. i\'m not sure that i do anymore.\"
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 09:39:33 pm by steuben »
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.