Author Topic: Darkhaven  (Read 7152 times)

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2005, 07:07:38 pm »
It does not conflict with the setting because it is not mentioned anywhere that vampires do or do not exist in PS. Kran Infravision is explicitly stated to be in PS, even if it isn\'t implemented. By you mentioning that, it seems you didn\'t understand my post anyway.

And I\'m sorry you can\'t understand why we want to RP vampires, but I don\'t see why it\'s at all important that you do.

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2005, 07:35:45 pm »
Originally posted by Moogie
It does not conflict with the setting because it is not mentioned anywhere that vampires do or do not exist in PS. Kran Infravision is explicitly stated to be in PS, even if it isn\'t implemented. By you mentioning that, it seems you didn\'t understand my post anyway.

I think I did, but if I didn\'t, I would obviously not know. Just to be clear on this: if something isn\'t mentioned, this means that it may or may not exist. However, if the remaining setting is very different from it, one can fairly safely assume that it doesn\'t exist, especially if it would substantially alter the setting. This is the case here IMO.
Originally posted by Moogie
And I\'m sorry you can\'t understand why we want to RP vampires, but I don\'t see why it\'s at all important that you do.

To me, it actually was of some importance to know what your reasons are. Obviously it doesn\'t have to matter to you, and I\'ll leave it at that, at least for now, especially as this thread is meant to be IC since it was moved here from the Guilds section. You have been very informative anyway.

Keyaz

(No subject)
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2005, 07:49:40 pm »
Originally posted by Seytra

one can fairly safely assume that it doesn\'t exist.

one can assume, not all :)

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2005, 08:39:12 pm »
*Sigh* No one is saying \"We vampires, we l33t cool imortal pwnzor the rest of you\" ^^

Your right vampires stay in hiding and secret but for the sake of starting some RP, it was announced so people know its out there :P

(Vampires can exist anywhere!)

\"The blood is the life,\" says Bela Lugosi\'s Dracula (a phrase originally found in the Bible); later adding, \"to die, to be really dead -- that must be glorious.\" And it is this ancient issue of life and death and blood that explains the antiquity of the vampire myth as well. For the first vampire was not Count Dracula. The first vampires had their origins in the centuries long before Christ, who in modern times is the ultimate adversary of the ostensibly Satanic vampire -- remember, the vampire shrinks before the sacred cross.

The vampire legend dates back to the earliest times of human civilization to the Assyrians, the Babylonians, and other peoples of the ancient Orient. The original vampire was not like the sophisticated, suave European aristocrat that we know of today. The vampire, at its origins, was a monster.

--

References to vampires can be found in many lands, and some scholars believe this indicates that the vampire story developed independently in these various lands and was not passed from one to the other. Such an independently occurring folktale is curious indeed.

References to vampires can be found among the ancient civilizations of the Mediterranean such as Egypt, Greece and Rome. The ancient Greeks believed in the strigoe or lamiae, who were monsters who ate children and drank their blood. Lamia, as the mythology goes, was the lover of Zeus; but Zeus\' wife, Hera, fought against her. Lamia was driven insane, and she killed her own offspring. At night, it was said, she hunted other human children to kill as well.

--

Vampire tales occurred in ancient China, where the monsters were called kiang shi. In ancient India and Nepal, as well, vampires may have existed -- at least in legend. Ancient paintings on the walls of caves depict blood drinking creatures; the Nepalese \"Lord of Death\" is depicted holding a blood-filled goblet in the form of a human skull standing in a pool of blood. Some of these wall paintings are as old as 3000 B.C., it is believed. Rakshasas are described in the ancient Indian holy writings called the Vedas. These writings (circa 1500 B.C.) depict the Rakshasas (or destroyers) as vampires. There is also a monster in ancient India\'s lore which hangs from a tree upside-down, not unlike a bat, and is devoid of its own blood. This creature, called Baital, is in legend a vampire.

http://www.parascope.com/en/articles/vampires01.htm

I find this very informative to say the least and it helps to somewhat prove the idea that in no matter what setting Vampire lore has existed. So why is it such a problem to exist in PlaneShift...it isn\'t! No deathrealm or anything can make it not be right to exist, fantasy abides by no reality..so why should it suddenly now?

seperot

• Veteran
  • :G
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2005, 08:56:00 pm »
*Seperot dives in attacks the vampires with a dose of vengisum*

we\'re not going to have vampires

*Seperot backflips out a nearby window*

Hatchnet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2005, 09:46:08 pm »
*Drumeth shapeshifts and then crashes thru the wall after Seperot intending to impale him on one of his large claws*

*Hatchnet shakes his head and wonders if any of the disbelivers realise that just about anything could come thru the portals in the stone laberanths*

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2005, 09:49:08 pm »
I think we\'ve already established that Vampires won\'t be officially in PS. Now that you\'ve heard it from an admin you can go do something else than bug people about how they RP. :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 09:50:11 pm by Moogie »

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2005, 10:08:28 pm »
Depthblade: Again, all those references were from RL.  This is a fantasy setting in a seperate universe which is governed by completely different rules.

Seperot: Shut up.

Everyone Else: Shut Up.  This is the RP Forums if you\'re not here to rp in this thread then do not post here.  There is a flaming/bashing/being a completely dumbass thread in Hydlaa.  Go there.

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2005, 12:24:14 am »
Nobody seems interesting in RPing on this thread anymore, so to prevent further pointless arguing, *locked*. Remember to visit the Darkhaven site for current lists of people involved in this RP so you can find us. Anyone else wishing to join will need to speak to us ingame. :) Have fun!