Author Topic: Announcing candidate for Octarch!  (Read 2262 times)

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
Announcing candidate for Octarch!
« on: May 21, 2005, 07:11:49 pm »
OOC:
Name: Netrhys Tanhren
Race, gender: Klyros, female
Age: her actual age is 16, but she doesn\'t know exactly and pretends to be 20
Following: none
Ways: azure and blue

ingame char description found here.

IC:
*Once again climbs the fountain in the plaza, looking around her, at the yliaki going about their daily business.*
{Now I\'m here... again. I should at least do it right this time...} *sighs* {I\'ll never get used to that...}
*Trying to ignore her nervousness, she takes a deep breath before speaking*

Erm... *takes another deep breath* You... probably know that there will be an election... the new octarch will be chosen.
The council has chosen Nilaya and me to be the two candidates, so...
This is what I think the octarch should do:

Everyone needs some basic education, including basic fighting skills and even some basic knowledge of magic. Nobody would be completely defenseless, but the guards will still be able to handle troublemakers.
The main trade routes and other cities should be protected just as well as Hydlaa is.
The normal guards will need some magical experience, and just as good fighters and archers, there should be mages within the guard. All of these will be used only to deal with tough situations, not normal guard duty.

*pauses to gather her thoughts*

In every city or area, regular meetings should be held, to know what the most pressing problems are. The results will be sent to... *was about to say \"the octarch\"* me.
Also, all laws should be checked if they actually help, and if not, be removed.
And the Octarch must be impartial, because dependence is a weakness.
*looks around, dedication in her eyes*
Most importantly, my goal is to remove slavery. Any sort of slavery. Even with payment one can be a slave, prostitution is the most common example of this.

*looks at the crowd*

So, if you have questions...?

Cyl

• Hydlaa Notable
  • *Ninja Poof*
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 01:27:57 am »
*stands up and moves our of the dark corner he was sitting in*

Hmm, removing slavery, right? When I was in the pits, slavery was illegal, and still I was in them for fifteen years.
*glances at Nethrys*
And mainly politians were betting on the outcome of the fights.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 01:28:54 am by Cyl »
MMORPG - Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 04:15:39 am »
/IC as Greenwood-- Young agile peasant farmer from the outskirts of Hydlaa, now seeking his way as a *warrior*

My... some people buy their wives from the slave traders! How will those people find wives without the slave trade?

Seytra

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 07:30:23 am »
*looks at Cyl, nodding grimly*
That\'s exactly the problem! A law is worth nothing if it isn\'t used. Not only obvious things, but also what is disguised. *shakes her head* It\'s *searches for words* the spirit that must be observed, not just the words! No exceptions or cop-outs!

*turns to Greenwood, frowning, trying hard not to get angry*
Having to buy wives? What is the reason why they don\'t find wives? What about the women, then?
No *curses* way! *tries to calm down a bit* What... what if that same thing happened to you, being sold to someone you don\'t even know, maybe even hate, huh? Maybe you already had someone you loved or whatever before you had been enslaved?

No! *shakes her head vigorously* These are disgusting and not must not be allowed to stay!

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 07:41:41 am »
Greenwood scratches head.

Didn\'t wan\'t to upset you like that.  Never been a slave.  Don\'t know what bein\' a slave would be like.  Buyin\' a slave wife is just something ugly men do wur I\'m from.

Seytra

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 08:32:24 am »
*breethes deeply, nodding slowly, containing herself*
Still it isn\'t right. Everyone must have a real choice. Noone should know what it\'s like to be a slave, ever!

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 08:47:11 am »
Greenwood nods in aproval for he does not want to make Netrys upset again.

Cyl

• Hydlaa Notable
  • *Ninja Poof*
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 09:43:14 am »
Well I at least can tell you that being a slave is horrible. Bah, I lost anyone down in those pits.

*nods towards nethrys*

Well at least you\'ve got the spirit, it is impressing to see politians who ain\'t already corrupted by money and, ... other services.

Time will show if you have the strength for being octarch.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 09:44:17 am »
*waits until the somewhat heated conversation is over before he interrupts*

Ahem .. I hear you speak of meetings and laws being laid down and discussed. Now I assume this means you will be working together with the Vigesimi obviously but what about a broader team, perhaps even one where commoners are also allowed to participate in the discussions?

I am simply curious how you plan to work and with whom you plan to work. It would be interesting to know how much say us commoners will have in the falling and standing of the laws we will all be subjected to. So I would like some more details about the structure of your governement.

*bows his head mildly and listens*
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 09:45:06 am by Zan »
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Seytra

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 12:24:20 pm »
{Politicians... am I really a politician?} *sighs* {Time will tell for sure...}
*is interrupted in her thoughts by Zans question*
Erm... {Structure of my government?} *she hadn\'t thought about that very much yet* The meetings, well... they would not by for the Vigesimi. I think that there will be regular meetings with them, anyway, so... the meetings would be for everyone else to say what they think is most important.

As for the laws... their actual effect would be part of the meetings... it will show if a law works or not by what everyone says about it, no?
So, erm, after that, there should probably be designated speakers from each city or region, for every group there... along with the Vigesimi... otherwise it\'d probably be too crowded to discuss. {That\'s still quite a crowd...} And, well, I\'ll also work with others, like the other hopefuls. *shrugs* This isn\'t fixed yet, it depends on how things actually work out when they\'re tried. Still... everyone should participate. Too often, laws completely fail to reach the actual problem, so yeah...

TheRedMonk

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 12:45:06 pm »
*stays in the background and listens to Netrhys as she answers people\'s questions.

She does not seem to realise the importance of these elections. She speaks to the people as if she was talking to a friend of hers...and her plans. I have to say something

*lifts his hand and speaks to Netrhys with his voice raised, for her to hear him properly from where she is standing

We have come here today to elect an Octarch, who will have to make important decisions to solve the problems currently bothering the people of our level. As Zan stated the other day, you have a strong will and seem ambitious, but I think that you might be a little too common and unexperienced to alone be able to do what is required from you as an Octarch. So how can we trust that the people you choose as your councilors will do what is best for the people, and not attempt to corrupt you in order to benefit from your decisions?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 02:21:57 pm by TheRedMonk »

Cyl

• Hydlaa Notable
  • *Ninja Poof*
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 01:12:18 pm »
I have talked enough for today. I am off.

*as Cyl walks by he greets his friend Tybalt, then melds with the shadows.*

Uloim

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 05:28:40 pm »
A dwarf, his face covered by a large dark green shroud, watches this from the shadow of one of the stairways.  He shakes his head, grumbling, and walks away.

Seytra

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 05:32:03 pm »
*nods* {Good point...} Most of them I know from before the election, so I trust them... As for the other hopefuls...  most of them seemed to have the level in mind, not themselves. {Except for Amheh, of course} There\'s disagreement in what everyone feels should be done, but the goal seems the same and... *shakes her head* erm, yes. *was about to add \"and I was hoping you would be one of them\", but figures it might be seen as try to woo him so doesn\'t.*
Of course everyone can change, but still...

TheRedMonk

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2005, 07:11:04 pm »
*smiles and nods at Nehtrys

I am satisified with that answer. Just be careful when choosing your councilor or councilors, for even friends can become enemies when driven by greed or lust for power.

*walks away to sit down under a tree, tired of all the pushing going where he stood among the crowd