Author Topic: Adraax Klyro's City: Story Telling  (Read 6004 times)

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
Re: Klyro's City Project: Story Telling
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 06:03:23 am »
Just for sure: Friends, do you take into consideration info from main PS-site? Check this links:
http://www.planeshift.it/setting_overview.html
http://www.planeshift.it/razkly.htm
http://www.planeshift.it/setting_history.html - notice that Klyroses appeared in Yliakim at last.
I did indeed scour the history and settings for these little tidbits, but I felt none of them were substancial to make anything worthy of mentioning. I was expecting to read a little more into other deeds by the klyros, but it seems untill you guys invent some, there will be a large lack of them. So, I think that if you guys REALLY want to progress the information on the Klyros race, you need to ignore what the developers post while they're so busy, and just work on stories to the best of your abilities. Write lore, famous locations, interesting tidbits of knowlege and fact. All of that stuff is important, and you can worry later whether it synchs into the planeshift universe completely. :)

EDIT: You see, that was why I enjoyed the "Spell check button".  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 06:05:23 am by Kixie »

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 08:02:51 am »
Edit:Renamed topic to "Klyro's City Project Lore Request"

Inca Sator

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Was born in USSR
    • View Profile
    • inca.my1.ru
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 02:01:45 pm »
...you need to ignore what the developers post while they're so busy...
... But, as I posted earlier, we should take these liberties besides how we think the developers will react...

In links i mentioned above you can find very basic information about klyros race. (Actually we have more info in PS-archieve and sometime i forgotten that you, guys, don't have it :) As Kixie wisely noticed, we have "large lack of" klyros descriptions in PS-site--> I think, you have more than enough of Freedom of Creation you are declared, Kixie.
It is very easy to ignor everything antecedent, and then...again invent "klyros race"?--> You want to start from Zero? Good luck.
Anyway, i very like your story, Kixie. I don't understand everything but it's subject very romantic and impressive. It is much more then we can expected for "Klyros City Stories"-thread, it's a imaginative literature :D Respect.

*And so, Inca rises his Green Flag of Tolerance...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 02:59:18 pm by Inca Sator »

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 02:19:44 pm »
I think Kixie's meaning that there's not alot of Klyro's history so for him to get a proper story he's had to invent some. He asked if you could work more on lore so he could get something to work with( as he feels this isn't enough), not change the entire race.

Now all take a deep breath ;)

Loto

• Traveller
  • Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 05:24:46 pm »
Let me just clarify some things. Just for accuracy. That way I can go on and write something.  :)

-We Klyros were the last to come to Yliakum

-I gather that we do not worship Laanx. When we came to Yliakum, many of us were slaughtered for not accepting her as our god. I would then assume we are athiest or worshipers of Talad.

-We are pretty much a jack-of-al-trades race. Brave Warriors, Rich Merchants, Proficient in magic (from the Race Info)

-We can cook crabs in thousands of ways.

-Since we did not accept Laanx, would that make us a rebellious or secluded race by nature? Perhaps then our cities are in hard to reach places for other races.

-Good on land, sea, and air.

-Sense of Brotherhood (Close-knit communities?)
Loto...wandering bard and operator of the Night of a Thousand Words.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 07:23:45 pm »
Here are some logical answers

-They're pure atheists but Talad accepts them unlike Laanx.
-Yes, though Klyros make poor warriors because of their physiology
-Yes you can^^
-Not really, as they're accepted as inhabitants of Yliakum they get to move almost anywhere.
-That's right, their hollow skeleton makes them weaker to most weapons but enables them to fly short distances and their gills make them excellent sealubbers.
- Yes, I presume they do as they all originated from one "tribe" once.

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 07:38:13 pm »
I think Kixie's meaning that there's not alot of Klyro's history so for him to get a proper story he's had to invent some. He asked if you could work more on lore so he could get something to work with( as he feels this isn't enough), not change the entire race.

Now all take a deep breath ;)
A perfect summary I think.

Good thing to post there, Loto. If we can keep these basic ideas together, it will be much easier to add onto them. One disagreement; try not to generalize religion. There may still be loyal Klyros who feel that they should stay under Laanx' hand. Extremists are always interesting (hint hint, future story line?)

Loto

• Traveller
  • Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 08:13:36 pm »
Yeah. I don't know where my religion lies.  :sweatdrop:

I would imagine that a Klyros city would be near water of some source. One by a waterfall would be really cool. but I don't know. I've grown up in Hydlaa my whole life and don't know much about Klyran City. I always imagined it of having really artsy architecture. The houses would be made of very light material. No stone or brick. But that's all I every dreamed of. I don't know if a place like that even exists.  :-[
Loto...wandering bard and operator of the Night of a Thousand Words.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 08:21:03 pm »

I would imagine that a Klyros city would be near water of some source. One by a waterfall would be really cool. but I don't know. I've grown up in Hydlaa my whole life and don't know much about Klyran City. I always imagined it of having really artsy architecture. The houses would be made of very light material. No stone or brick. But that's all I every dreamed of. I don't know if a place like that even exists.  :-[

Interesting idea, i'll tell the others.

Inca Sator

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Was born in USSR
    • View Profile
    • inca.my1.ru
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 03:15:40 am »
Huh, guys, before posting try to overcome your laziness and read other our threads (check links the first post in this topic). You can find all total information of this Klyros City project in Fan Art/Klyros City Project.

Kixie, there is no doubts that Klyros Life - is more complicated then we designing. In every rool there is always an exception, so if the most of klyros are atheists, some amongst of them are not. If we build klyros city - it is not means that all of city houses must be only in klyros style. Real town  has eclectic style of architecture, an amalgamation of races styles. Also, in every nation we have a number of opposite social groups: nomads and settled people, urban people and farmers, women and men, rich people and beggars, fishermen and pirates. Also they can belongs to different regional nations of Klyros (southern klyros tribes, west coast klyros, swamp farmers etc). E.T.C....
But, if you guys choose to start with details and expect to recieve an holistic picture of Klyros living at the end... Then i got to say that you have chosen very difficult way of creation - induction. (from detail to common). Then, you propose your-self as very professional experienced creators with huge complex imaginative thought. :D Then you risk in ~70% not to finish your work. I not triyng to say that it's a wrong way, i just say that it's much more difficult then other method of creation -deduction (from common to detail).

About klyros atheism: it rooted in their Pride - the important idiosyncrasy of Klyros nation. In their Home World "they considered themselves to be gods in their own right, and their racial pride allowed them to bend to none." (hmm... interesting, then Klyros have features from european's civilization - Klyros - is a king of nature, he adapts nature for his needs. (as remark: eastern civilization - human - just a part of nature, he adapts he-self to nature for harmony living with it.))
But then, an Unknown God apeared, and try to overmaster klyroses. He (or She?) sent many tribulations on klyroses, but no pressure or force can ever bring them to kneel. So their chose to live their howeworld and search for better place. This is how they come to Yliakim. (it is not my history, this is PS-basics for Klyros race).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 03:53:07 am by Inca Sator »

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2006, 04:00:42 am »

We could always take a stab in the dark, you know. Let's take a look at our handy dandy Ylakian stalactite map.

As you can see, the world of Ylakium dwells within a giant stone, which you may or not know hangs off the roof of an enormous cave. As we can see in the map, there are 2 extremes on the map, which look as though they should bear a race such as the klyros. There lies a problem; we don't know what the klyros look like, so it's very hard to describe them without taking liberties, and giving them attributes which the developers did not have in mind. Here are some key physical properties which should determine where a Klyros would live:

Energy Source- Is this creature endothermic or exothermic?
Movement Speed- How does this creature move to gather it's needed materials to survive?
Common Heirarchy- The typical Klyros society dwells in which fashion?
Oxygen Source- Not always 100% reliable, as this is a fantasy where carbon may be excepted from the basic biological building block in which a creature is made of; however, it can be assumed that the Klyros need oxygen, and are indeed carbon based creatures.

These four things should determine where the klyros live, so let's analyze each section.

The oxygen source is obviously from two sources: normal breathing, and gills, so now we know how it functions in it's regular oxygen replenishment. The creature so far can live anywhere in Ylakium, due to it's underwater capabilities and it's regular breathing aparatus.

Common Heirarchy can decide prominent locations where common Klyros gather to live in groups. We know that the klyros are hunter and gatherer types, so they may not need a temperate climate zone to grow their food. The klyros, due to having nomadic tendencies will most likely live where they can pick fruit from the trees, fish from the sea, and reap the benefits of their ecosystem with little work. That means 9/10 times, we're going to be in a tropical climate. Let's look on, so we can get a better definition of the klyros.

Here's a big one, movement. The Klyros are of course not only the jack of all trades, when it comes to transportation, but masters of their domain. Flight capabilities, extended underwater breathing, and bipedal transportation make the klyros body type is the ideal form for self travel. We may need to break this one down a bit:

Flight-  Since the klyros can't power them selves for long in the air, it can be assumed they mostly glide from one higher elevation, downward in a controlled glide. This would mean a place with many canyons. Due to condonsation, and common humudities of anywhere with such rough topography on earth, many places with these radical elevation changes are usually hot and arid. However, this isn't earth, so you cannot always be sure. Places with high wind speeds would be ideal, such as oceans or plains, where the wind is not broken up by geographical features which would slow down the rate (think seagulls). This would allow gliding as well, but in a much freer domain.

Extended underwater movement- This means obviously, water. No doubts, no shots in the dark. Straight up; water. The klyros want a place where there's gonna be water, and lots of it.

So we can summarize movement in that the Klyros get kind of shifty on us; they may or may not like radical terrain due to their flight abilities. As evidenced from the water movement, we can safely say that they often submerge in water. But, seeing as the entire realm of Ylakium is underground, we don't know if this is used to find underground pockets of cold water. We can't really decide thus far where the Klyros live, because they may glide on ocean currents, or they may glide down from high elevations. We've eliminated some places, so let's venture onto the last subject, and it's a big one.

Where this creature gathers it's energy SHOULD pinpoint on the map where the heck the Klyros live. If the creature is indeed Endothermic as most large sentient beings (the only ones we know of in fact :P) are, then the klyros can produce their own body heat and live just about anywhere, so long as they have food. If the creature is exothermic, it cannot produce it's own heat obviously, and can only dwell in a tropical climate zone, or the creature will consequently DIE. This is an interesting devide. The beasts could be exothermic, which would mean that a tropical climate zone would be needed to survive. BUT, we know that they do indeed dwell in all around hydlaa, and are accepted as common in the world of Ylakium. This, along with the lack of information from the dev team would evidence that the klyros are endothermic. They are, obviously slightly reptilian in nature, which on earth translates as to, "Durr, it's a lizard yo." and that means relying on the weather to fuel itself.

This is a fantasy world though. We can't assume that the world is just like earth. However, seeing as our reality is the only one suitable to base anything on, untill the world which Planeshift is elaborated, we can only base Ylakium off of such. A summary:
Water- Good
Topography- Most likely places with water, which could be flat or radical in stature.
Family type- Nomadic, and on the move

My conclusion? Tropical climate definately. Water included. Flat topography.

Where can we find this on the map? Let's take reference once more. There are two places where you can find this: The top, and the bottom. The top, is closer to the Azure Crystal, which should produce both heat and light. The bottom has a giant sea of water, which takes up the lower 10% of the Great Stalactite. There is water, at the bottom, which could lead to erosion, thereby flattening the land. The fact the water isn't flozen should mean somewhat warm climate.

So, I think that the klyros live at the bottom somewhere on this map. We can't be sure, as I'm basing this off earth's likeness, but I think we can be sure enough.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 09:31:45 am »
*bump* We still need some extended info on the city was brought up, amybe add some legends to object that should exist/will exist, this is a topic for all ideas that has to do with info mainly concerning the history/description of the city we're making, alternatively a backstory about the Klyros who travelled within Yliakum before they settled.

Check thruogh the original thread(Link posted in 1st post) for extended info about our concept.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:37:07 am by Baldur »

Arangol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 10:50:36 am »
IDEA:
When you write a story, could you add to the bottom of the post all the names in story and a small description ( doesn't have to be more than a few words).

It would really help our thread Klyros City...Names and Places. Check it here:
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=23667.0

That way we have a lot of new names we could easily use.
Thanks
"The answer to all life's problems aren't on the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV!"-Homer Simpsons

Choose how the Klyros town will look like:
Klyros City Project
Klyros Names

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 03:16:53 pm »
Here's the second part to that story. Enjoy!   :whistling:

Orlan woke in a puddle of his own cold sweat. His brow in a frustrated sequence of ridges, pushing from his neck to his forehead. A bead fell from his crown, and it dropped onto each ridge in a controlled fall. Eventually the crystallized tear of salt slipped between the ridges of his face, and fell to the ground with a final patter.
   The cave had a hum of moving water, which rebounded off every single pore of the cavern. Every corner seemed to be alive with rushing activity, and it had taken Orlan hours just to get to sleep. He felt a presence, as if someone was watching. Perhaps someone was watching him; perhaps he prone to more danger than he believed, and this was their way of contacting him from beyond some plane which he could not see. Some plane of exitance could be contacting him right now, aligning the stars the moon and this very moment just to keep him free from the clutches of some evil.
   No, it couldn't be. I'm just being silly, Orlan thought to himself. While at home, he often stared off into the sea, imagining the creatures which plunged it's deep murky depths. The darkness, harbored many mysteries. As none had ever pierced it's depth, who could say what existed and what didn't? Orlan's imagination could be set like a fuse when he ventured closer to the docks, and heard the tall tales of crusty old captains, and their sea-faring tales. Tales of megalithic monsters, with jaws of steel and countless limbs.
   Orlan loved to think about what could be just over the horizon of knowledge. What could lurk behind every corner ready to jump out, or leer from afar. It wasn't as much paranoia, as interest in the unknown. Orlan could never remember a genuine time he was scared of what might be hidden; in fact, you could say he was drawn to it. As if his very soul yearned to seek the unsought.
   "What's wrong" Bleeo sat up in his bed of straw and matted sea weed with a concerned look.
   "Oh nothing, just a bad dream..."
   "Are you sure? If you're too cold, I can get some more sea weed for the fire."
   "I'm fine," Orlan responded, "It's just weird hearing the water all around us. It feels like someone's whispering in my ear... but from a mile away."
   "What? You're not getting delirious on me, are you?" Bleeo stood up with a face that was half filled with genuine concern, and half filled with suspicion.
   "No, I told you I'm fine. I don't know, I just feel weird about this place. The whole place is unsettling; I hope we find a way out after this storm passes."
   Orlan stood as well, and cast his shadow on the wall of the cave. For a moment, his eyes readjusted in the darkness, and he felt as if he saw movement in his peripheral vision. No one's here, silly, Orlan thought. As he turned his head, he gasped, when movement once again danced in the darkness. No, it must be a trick of the light or something.
   Water in the pool  was frigid as ice. As Orlan touched the icy water with his finger, he immediately drew it back. As his finger drew back, the water lit up. The ripples on the water glowed with a luminescent tinge of green. He gasped, and stood immediately. It wasn't long before the whole pool gave off a neon green light.
   "Woah."
   The lights in the pool soon circled together, then as they as quickly as they had appeared, they had spread out again similar to a celestial formation. Moving in magnificent swirls, moving up and down the hues of green the lights displayed a light show worthy of the most professed magician.
   Then as if summoned, they retreated to their murky depths. As Orlan sat with his knees before him, and his brow wet with nervous sweat, beading off his face onto his open lips, Bleeo appeared minutes later behind him with a look of confusion.
   "Are you ok? What's wrong?"
   "Y-Yo-You didn't see that?" stammered Orlan, as shook attempting to stand up.
   "No... what are you talking about? What did you see?" asked Bleeo with a face of concern.
   "Nothing. It must have been..." Orlan looked into the waters, where the magnificent hues had once danced like so many moons and suns, all with the murky green glow, reminiscent of that same neon matter they had picked from the walls. "Nothing. It must have been nothing. Where were you anyways?"
   Bleeo responded, "Just looking for a way out. Come quickly, I found another tunnel that I think we can fit through. It'll be a tight fit, but anything will be better than being stuck here."
   "How long do you think we've been here?" Orlan said, obviously longing the hours shortly before in which he had been in open and free of these cavernous confines.
   "Not long, I don't think. 4 hours tops. I don't think any of this rock is giving way, so we might as well be a little adventurous and see if there's anything beyond this room."
   "You're right," said Orlan "I'm sure mom and dad are worried sick about us by now."
   Bleeo looked distant for a moment. His lower lip shook, and his face became strewn as if a needle had hooked him in an abrupt shock of pain. He seemed to shake it off for a moment, until he spoke with a wavering voice, "Yeah. I'm sure they're looking all over for us. Come on, let's get going."   
   The two moved towards the back of the cavern, where even the combined light of the algae, and their sensitive eyes couldn't penetrate the darkness. Rock around this area was extremely slick, but with a film that seemed to move unlike water. Instead, the film of this liquid seemed almost alive, or a trick of the light. It seemed to be moving down the hall, pulled by some unknown force. Drawn to it, like a river or a stream, but in a much slower speed.
   Stepping with alert care, both the boys moved very slowly towards the mouth of the hole. Orlan analyzed the outside, then looked into the ebon pitch. His voice shook momentarily, then he placed one knee on the ground as he looked up to Bleeo.
   "I suppose I'm going first?" Orlan asked.
   "Yeah. I won't kick you this time, I promise." Bleeo stammered, trailing with a nervous laugh, ending the insincere joke with an abrupt gulp for air.
   "Alright, just be sure to follow me closely. Watch out for the top, I think there may be some stalactites up towards the ceiling."
   And with that, Orlan laid his other knee onto the slick rock, then sat his palms flat onto the stone before him, and shuffled back and forth towards the cave. As he moved, he occasionally slipped off of his knees, but then caught him self suddenly from completely flailing onto the slick granite.
   As they moved through the pass, their heads occasionally met the tips of stalactites which hung overhead. Although they were both of several feet in stature, even their small frames met some difficulty working through the tiny cavern. Had they been less than a foot taller, both of them would have had trouble just making it past the mouth of the cave.
   Claustrophobia began to set into Orlan, and soon his feet scurried fast and faster with reckless abandon, with a single mind set of escaping the confines of the slick cavern. Determination pushed him faster and faster, but soon his forehead his the hind end of a stalactite, with a force that almost brought him to the ground cold.
   He yipped a,"Dammit! Ow!!" before his brother finally responded.
   "Are you alright, kid? Go slower. We'll make it, don't worry about it. There's gotta be and end to this."
   Orlan pushed himself up, then raised a hand from the ground and wiped his forehead. They moved on slowly, but steadily. Before long they saw a small glow from the end of the cave. Once more moving quickly, they both shuffled furiously to final pass. As they both stood, their ankles clattered together from the aching job their knees had just formerly been put to.
   As soon as they could stand, Orlan noticed a humming in his ears. It reminded him of the rushing water which had wakened him before, but this time it seemed more powerful than before. Being in the small cavern had seemed to mute the sound a bit, but as he stood he could now notice it's prominence in this area of the cave. He felt as if he was underwater, and the hum of the water soon overwhelmed him, and his eyes glazed over staring off into nothingness.
   "Can you hear that," Orlan whispered. "We're closer to the water."
   "Yeah, I guess we are. If there's water around, we must be near the ocean. If that's true, there might just be an exit nearby. You know, like one of those pools near the bay."
   "It could be," Orlan said to Bleeo "Or it could mean we're very far away from a dry entrance. I'd rather starve before drowning."
   "True. But at least it's progress. This place is starting to drive me nuts, I just want to get out of here. C'mon, let's pick up the pace." Bleeo quipped.
   They walked for what seemed like hours. Each cavern the same as the former, and only the sound of water as their guide. They moved closer and closer, amongst the mysterious and unrecognizable face of the wall. The whole time, it felt to Orlan that they were being watched by something. Beckoned almost, such as the mysterious substance they had found at the entrance of the small passageway. Something was drawing them, and Orlan didn't like the feeling. But as Bleeo had so eloquently explained, the maddening feeling of claustrophobia and restlessness was enough to persuade his disillusioned mind to push on through the darkness.
   Green algae hung on the walls more thickly in some places of the walls, and one point there seemed to be a neon waterfall of the gooey basis. Being sure not to touch the mysterious substance any more than necessary, the boys stepped concernedly around the puddle which sat before the walls of auroral emerald solution.
   Walls of beryl soon opened up to a room, much larger than any they had previously walked in. The humming was almost maddening, and a raucous note beat their ears like the quick tempo of traditional drumming. The constantly bludgeoning was almost enough to drive anyone insane. They pushed on, and soon the note of continual despondency caused them to hold their hands up with futility to their heads in a lame attempt to end the pandemonium.
   Kept up with the maddening note of the crashing hum, the boys were oblivious to their surroundings. Blinded they met a river which cut  the room in half, but curiously enough they could notice it was only an inch in depth. Quite shallow, this could not possibly be the source of the noise. They looked up, and before them lie a horrid sight.
   Neon danced up from the ground. Such as a symphony of sage green, and luscious hues of beryl they had seen on the walls crashed up towards the ceiling of the cavern which towered above 30 feet. The whole nimble procession was almost frightening in it's intensity, and among the whole crashing dance of insanity, there fit a single silhouette who was gracing the stone floor with swaying choreography. She was large, but her feet met just as quickly as the substance leaped into the heights of the room.
   Orlan saw a large staircase of marble which led up to the performance. The figure who was dancing with increasing intensity seemed oblivious of their presence, and soon began to ramble on with a rhyme which was so loud it reigned over the surrounding curtain of noise.

Laanx's fire, cauldrons pyre, feel the madness reaching higher!
Crumbling smiting, icy writing, graves as deep gobble's biting!
Caverns deeply, crying, creeping, tears as clear as dryad weeping!
Feel the power, feel the tower, of Laanxian hands beating louder!

And with that the woman ended her cruel chant with a high pitched cackle which rung and echoed of the walls, in complete disobedience to the power of the massive humming.
   The two boys looked at each other with eyes wide, full of fear and a sense of consternation. They stepped back before a large rock, and sat down onto the granite. The neon seemed to fall down again, and soon the room grew dim, with the beating sound dulling to a light hum as it had before. Bleeo and Orlan breathed in heavily, deeply letting out breath as quickly as it had came in.    
   They could hear footsteps, and they were coming closer.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 03:25:17 pm by Kixie »

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2006, 03:41:50 pm »

Awsome, great job!

latly all I can do is

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum