Author Topic: New in town  (Read 4120 times)

Nightwing

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
New in town
« on: June 05, 2007, 10:37:01 am »
New in town. No friends by his side. No family there to support him. He knew no one here. For the first time in his life, he was on his own.

Gorwen looked around. People were hurrying past him as he stood in the shade under the trees, observing everyone and wondering where to start. He knew why he was here, but that didn’t mean that he knew where to go. The dermorian was small and looked weak, he was not physically strong. The heritage from his ancestors was of another nature.

The boy amazed before the grandness of this city, was a boy also strong of will and determination. Because of his gentle build he could move fast with good reflexes. He could only hope that would help him here just as it had in the past. He was thinking that he would need all the abilties nature had put within him to make anything of himself in this busy place.

Hydlaa. He had heard about her all his life. The city was so big, he never imagined that its magnitude would be so overwhelming. He could see the great plaza and the enormous temple on the other side. People everywhere. He had never been that good with crowds and gatherings.

"Take this steel with you, my son", his father Bodarc had said before he left home. "It is one of the best swords I have made, but don’t let your pride get you like it got your grandfather. Steel is grand, it can be great. But so can your foe be. Never underestimate what you face."

Gorwen’s sister had teased him during the whole time of preparations for his leaving, telling Gorwen he would be eaten by this and that and never return since he would be at the end of Gobbler claws and Tefusang teeth. Until the day he left. On that day, she cried so much she couldn’t even speak. Gorwen’s mother had to tear her daughter away from him so he could go.

"You will always know someone’s true nature by looking them in the eyes", his mother Sasheena said. "Be it animal or a person, it is the eyes that tell who is true and who is false, who commands and who follows."

Gorwen hesitated but finally left the safety of the trees. He stepped out into the street and wondered where to go. He slowly started off down the wide stone stairs towards the plaza. He almost couldn’t breathe.
Gorwen Merath, Dermorian, son of Bodarc and Sasheena

Aerianna Kzin

• Hydlaa Resident
  • We have come to teach...
    • View Profile
Re: New in town
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 12:56:07 pm »
Aerianna smiles warmly at the new face in Yliakum and gives a slitght nod of her head

"Welcome young Demorian, you look nervous and lost" She said with a welecoming smile. "If I can help you in anyway whatsoever, please don't hessatate to ask, there are lots of things to be discovered all over Yliakum that awaits you"

RayvenD

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Feelin' the funk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:24:54 pm »
*Frak staggers across the plaza and notices a young Dermorian, looking around the city wide eyed*

Ello there, feller! Wha's a wee lil' pointy like you is doin' that which it is bein known as walkin' roun' a big place like ol' 'Ydlaa all by ye lonesome? I tells ye waht feller, lemme be fer the takin' o' ye down t'ol' Kada's fer a bit o' worship an we'll 'ave a good ol' game o' trips t'get ye used t'city life, ey?
Let it whip!

Hear me sing www.myspace.com/diamonddobb

Nightwing

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 11:02:06 am »
( Thank you for entering and continuing the story. :)  May I ask you to describe yourselves somewhat more? For me who is new to this place/game and not knowing that much about people, races and history yet it would be easier if I knew your race and maybe some details on your looks. )

Gorwen stopped. Was it that easy to tell he was totally lost here? He wouldn’t last a day if people could spot his weaknesses this easily. He had heard that this city could be harsh on the weak and vulnerable. The woman seemed nice and welcoming though. That might be a good thing... as long as he knew that his money was safe. Gorwen felt the pouch still there, which was comforting.

The boy wondered what the other one was talking about. He hardly understood even a single word of what had been said. Was the man intoxicated at noon already... or still? These thoughts, worries and questions rushed through the dermorian’s mind in a flash. The options before him narrowed down to one, and he firmly gripped his belt and tried to look somewhat poised.

"I would like to visit a tavern", Gorwen said. "I need refreshments after my long journey. Could you please show me in what direction I should go?"

Aerianna Kzin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 01:22:08 pm »
[hehe this is fun, and in yet tricky lol. feel free to contact me in game if you wish for any help or even some fun role play!]

*Aerianna stood tall and slender as the crystal shined brightly down upoun her Enkidukial fur on this warm summer day.
In a calming delicate voice she said*

"Why certianly, Kada-El's Tavern is just over this way and up some big stairs, there is plenty to eat and drink and beds upstairs if you need a place to stay."
*She notices how Gorwen clutches his tria sack and with a soft smile she whispers*
"Don't worry, your safe with me, and if you do run into trouble, just give me a holler and I'll be right there, okay?"

Okim

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:10:18 am »
[This is a roleplay?  I'm in, I hope]

Standing by the statue in the plaza, a tall, well-built woman with dark skin and piercing green eyes looked around until her eyes fell on Gorwen and his new friend.  A common site in her eyes, a lost visitor looking for directions.  Yet, she still stared on while many other people around her when about their own business.  Stroking her long, white hair she fell into deep thought while her glance was still in Gorwen and Aerianna.  Were they who she thought they were?  Likely not, but she was bored in a city full of demons, some more vile then the ones she tangoed with in a past long ago.  Brushing down her leather armor she started walking down the plaza towards them.  The young Dermorian man was heading away from the plaza and up the large staircase, likely towards the local tavern.  Sensing something odd in the boy she knew in her bones she had to follow him.  She had to hope no one noticed...

[I'm trying to make a mysterious, secretive character that will gradually reveal herself as the story progresses.  So, don't tell me i haven't put a lot of description into the character, I plan to add more as the story progresses.]

Nightwing

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 04:19:06 am »
( Please join in. The more the better as to make an interesting and hopefully dynamic story! )

"Thank you", Gorwen smiled as he left the nice enkidukai woman. They had crossed the plaza together and for that he was grateful. This big area and all the people made him feel insecure.

As the dermorian made it up the stairs he intensly looked for the next set of stairs that was supposed to be there. And they were. Great, he wouldn’t have to ask for directions again right now, he hoped. Gorwen’s fingers ran through the black hair. His mother had wanted him to cut it shorter before he left, but he liked it at this shoulder length. As the stairs made a turn he looked out over the city, not noticing the oncoming group of people.

All of a sudden, humans, dwarves and diaboli rushed past him and around him. The clinging of metal, the harsh voices, the muscular bodies and scarred faces - Gorwen almost fell over from being startled. His hand immediately went for the hilt of the sword, knuckles turning white from the grip.

Just as sudden as they had appeared, just as sudden they were gone down the stairs. Gorwen remained frozen where he stood, still shaking. So many people, he thought. Why am I even here? But he knew why. He slowly continued on legs he almost couldn’t feel now.

"You can do anything that you set your mind on", Gorwen heard his grandfather’s voice in his head. The boy wished that the reassuring old man had still been alive. But he had fallen in battle.

As Gorwen passed by two armored guards, they eyed him closely. Apparently everyone could tell that he was lost. But the boy wouldn’t be discouraged. He would honor his grandfather and he would make his parents proud of him. He would make something of himself! With new found courage Gorwen entered the tavern, quickly looking around and setting aim for the bar.

"There is no need for them pointy things in here", someone said.

Gorwen looked in the direction of the voice. A dwarf sat on a bench, back against the wall, and held a large mug in one hand and seemed to be trimming his beard with the other. The boy realized that he had actually drawn his father’s shortsword, and that he was still holding it as if expecting a fight. No wonder the guards had watched him! Gorwen quickly sheathed the sword again, feeling utterly stupid and blushing.

"My apologies", he said, wanting to sink through the wooden floor.

"There is no need for apologies either", smiled the dwarf and went back to focusing on the drinking.

Gorwen could hear a woman’s voice from the other end of the room asking the dwarf if he had had a rough day.

"No rougher than usual", the dwarf replied.

Gorwen went over to the barkeep, greeted her and asked for a drink. A not so strong drink.

"The name’s Allelia", the woman said. "If you happen to use that sword to clear out the sewers sometime, I would be interested in buying what you might get from the beasts down there. Hmm, no hides though, can’t do much with those."

Gorwen found the joke kind of funny and laughed. It did relieve his tension some and made him feel better. When he looked back at the barkeep, he realized by the frowning look on her face that... But why would a tavern need pieces from rats and things he thought?!

"Well now, wouldn’t you like to know?" Allelia winked at the boy as if she had read his mind.

Gorwen looked down into the mug. What was he drinking? He decided he had to sit down for a bit.

fabpupuce

• Traveller
  • Character : Gromili, rune engraver
    • View Profile
    • My home page
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 07:41:41 am »
[Sorry for my english, it may be approximative sometimes  :-[ ]

Gorwen felt suddenly pushed on the back by a small person. Turning around, he saw an old dwarf in leather armour, with a silver braided beard. Strange drawings appeared on his armour and on the two battle axes that hung at his sides. He was carrying one beer mug in each hand.

"Oh sorry, boy ! I don't understand why this tavern is so crowded, the beer tastes like some sewer water here..."

The dwarf looked up at the dermorian and began to exmaine it intensely. Friendship did not seem to be part of his feeling at this very moment. Gorwen, felt more and more ill at ease ; the dwarf seemed to have noticed it and to take some pleasure of the situation. But as his eyes met the glass the dermorian was clutching, he began to laugh frenetically. When he succeed to catch his breath again, he asked to the dermorian :

"Don't you drink your milk too fast, my little baby ! Or you'll suffocate !"

He laughed again, letting a non negligeable quantity of beer from his mugs fall on the floor.
His attention being attracted by the wasted precious liquid, he drank the whole content of one mug in one row. At least, he wouldn't lose that part... Any trace of suspicion in his eyes had disappeared.

"I haven't laughed like that since a while ! I'm grateful for that. Really." said the dwarf still smiling. "I'm Gromili Ironbeard from the ancient Clan of the Black Hammer... Well, I'm Gromili."

Gromili puts his empty mug quickly on the bar and raised his right hand to shake.
The dermorian looked confused at the hand before him : the dwarf was wearing old leather gloves. Beer was melting with ashes on them.
Gromili seemed to realise no dermorian or any other sensible being except a dwarf would take this dirty hand, so he lowered his arm, and wiped distractly his hand on his beard.

"My name is Gorwen, sir" he replied, with a simple nod.

"I hope I didn't scare you, me lad."

The fact that Gorwen was impressed by the city and the crowd, but not by him, didn't even come to Gromili's mind. He continued :

"No offense boy, but you look like little bird fallen from the nest. I guess you're new here.
I'm not here since a long time either. I'm reduced to learn smithing here among tall ones, because my clan has..."

As his voice lowered, Gromili's eyes looked nowhere for a second. Sadness and anger appeared on his face during this short time. He shaked his head as if to drive out these thoughts.

"AAhh come on ! I won't bother you with my old stories. Why did you come here ?"

But Gromili didn't even waited for an answer :

"Well, maybe it's none of my business. If you want to talk, I'm sitting not far away." he said, pointing a chair in the room.
"Don't worry, me boy, that town is not that big. You just have to be careful about some people, you know.
For example : did you know that once, I've been chased by a weird kran who wanted to make babies with me ? God, that was the most terrible fright of my life...
Anyway, if you need a strong hand... well don't ask me, but if you need anything else don't hesitate !" said Gromili, laughing. Then he hit heavily Gorwen on the back with his free hand and took a seat.

Gorwen felt a bit shaken by this blow, but the more important question for Gorwen right now was : "Do I have this dwarf's big hand printed on my back ?".
He didn't dare to look at his cloth, but decided to stick on the back of his seat to hide the mark.
Rune lord" border="0" align="topGromili, rune engraver
"When an elf, with his ancestral knowledge, meets a dwarf, with his ancestral axe, one is happy to be small an bearded !"

Okim

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 06:59:15 pm »

"Silly old man..." quietly muttered the shadow that had followed Gorwen into the tavern unnoticed.  She had taken a seat by a table near where Gorwen was sitting.  His conversation with the Hammerweilder was nothing more than small talk to disturb a wayfaring stranger.  Nevertheless, her own senses where off the scale as she stared at Gorwen as he sipped his drink from the mug, avoiding eye contact with everyone that was there.

"Is everything ok?" Allelia asked the odd shadow of a woman.
"Huh..., oh yeah, everything's ok," the woman struggled to say back.
"Got a thing for that Dermarian, don't you?" Allelia, being a perceptive bartender, asked while pointing at Gorwen.
"Oh, no.  Of course not," the woman responded, "what gave you that silly idea?  His obviously too young for me."
"Age is rarely a factor when it comes to matters of the heart," Allelia replied, "and you have been staring at him for a rather long time."
"I didn't notice..." the woman replied, then tightened lip and stared at the table until Allelia took the hint and walked away to serve other patrons.  Once gone the woman started staring at Gorwen again.

Gorwen felt that strange, dark skinned, white haired woman stare at him, but he didn't want to make eye contact and stared at his mug.

Nightwing

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 05:23:23 am »
Gorwen didn’t know whether to relax or not although he was seated now. He had thought that the dwarf was going to smack him over by the initial looks this Gromili Ironbeard had given him. But now the dwarf was sitting over there with his friends, laughing and drinking. The dermorian did wonder about the statement Ironbeard had done regarding the beer. Maybe it was that which made Hydlaa residents seem so -

The boy’s thoughts were interrupted. Gorwen felt his face getting red and staying that way, and his heart would not settle. That strange woman was looking at him so intensly. Was she also going to come over, looking like a battle was about to commence, only to greet him with laughter and then try to disable his back?

The boy decided on keeping a low profile. That was going to be his way in this town. What goes unseen will stay unnoticed, he thought. What attracts little attention, can go by its own ways without interference.

Somehow Gorwen felt that this was going to be very hard to achieve in a place like Hydlaa.

Okim

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 02:44:51 pm »
Keeping a low profile in a city like Hydraa would otherwise be an easy task, but with a strange person taking an interest in him already this might be harder than many would think.  Why me, Gorwen kept thinking as he avoided eye contact the best he could.  It wasn't easy, her stare was powerful and enticing, she was hypnotizing him with her eyes almost. 

Moments later, a dark cloaked figure entered the tavern.  That was when the strange woman's stare was broken and she set her sites on the new stranger.  Gorwen felt more at ease at first, as he finished what was in his mug and readied the pay for the barkeep.  That was when the dark figure started staring at him, with more of a disturbing look than the woman.  He looked away and saw a terrified look on the strange woman's face.  She poured some gold coins out of a leather pouch and speed-walked to Gorwen.

With success she masked her look of terror and she whispered into Gorwen's ear "You, dare boy, are in danger."  This sent a chill up Gorwen's spine as those soft-spoken words reached his head.  He noticed her reach into her pouch and pull out a scrap of leather and placed it on Gorwen's table, then whispered again "This will protect you from the dark." 

She then walked towards the blackened figure and stared him down.  Words were exchanged quietly, then the black figure held her hand tight and whispered, loud enough for Gorwen to hear, "You cannot stand in the way of destiny.  May your polluted blood kill you as it should."  She struggled for her hand, screaming loudly and making as much of a commotion as possible.  The tavern patrons panicked and chaos came about.  The strange woman finally grew weak and fainted, with a sharped piece of platinum dug into her hand.  Gorwen had a feeling that he couldn't stay and motioned into the upstairs just when the strange figure chanted in an odd dialect.  Once there everything was quiet.  Gorwen didn't dare look down.  He finally looked at the leather piece the woman had given him, and realized that something was buried inside it.

Nightwing

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 08:20:25 am »
A black magic assassin! It had to be something like that! Just his luck, odd people everywhere and now they were after him.

Gorwen came out on the second story balcony - and continuing up the outside stairs to the roof he looked inside the leather he had received. He didn’t know what he would have thought it to contain, yet what he found surprised him.

It was a small, polished, very detailed metal... rat, with curved tail clinging around it and all. The dermorian almost stopped dead in his tracks. He also noticed that the inside of the leather wore letters - or symbols - but rushing onward he didn’t have the time nor the concentration needed to even try to figure out their meaning right now.

As the boy made it up to the roof he looked around. Over at the other end of the building he could see a woman seemingly admiring the city. Gorwen ran over to her, to ask her for aid, when he looked to his sides. On the right his keen eyes detected stairs leading down into the ground. That could be the sewers then, a place to flee for safety! If only he could get back down. Gorwen looked around - and saw the wooden elevator to his other side.

The boy jumped onto the platform, almost tipping over the edge from the speed and force, and in a state of panic he tried to figure out how the thing worked. Platform, ropes, pulleys, schackles - but no movement despite his efforts.

There was only one thing to do. The man of oncoming doom could be up here any moment. Without looking down, the dermorian quickly produced his father’s sword and cut the ropes! The platform plunged to the ground and Gorwen braced himself for the impact that was to come.

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 02:30:39 pm »
Moments before the impact Gorwen put his leg on the ledge of the platform and jumped with as much strenght as he could muster.Luckily he fel to the ground with but a few strong bumps in several places.It took a moment for Gorwen to realise that he was still alive and able to move.He then quicly scutered to his feet and ran as fast as his batered legs allowed him hoping to put as much distance between himself and the dark stranger

Quietly he ran through the confusion that he had felt this day and wondered how could he atract so much attention.In just one day he found someone who would help him,someone who whacked his back,someone who scared him extremely and someone who assumably wanted him dead.If Hydlaa was this hard to stay unseen in then he may have to look for another city to go to.

Although important those thoughts quicly went away as the fear and realisation struck him again but by now he was deep in the sewer tunnels and he was to distracted to take notice of the turns he took.So simply put he was lost.
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?

Aerianna Kzin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 11:55:32 pm »
*Aerianna is walking around in the sewers carefull where she steps when she happens to bump into Gorwen*
"why hello there little fellow, imagine seeing you in here, and what's wrong? you look half scared to death, surely these rats pose no thereat to you? do you need help? are you okay? I was just on my way to see Goribaik but I can wait, unless your lost..then all I can offer is myself to walk around untill we stumble onto the exit. I tend to lose my way down here, its smells to much to use my sense of smell to track my way out..but the good news is..I always eventually find my way out.."

*She smiles warmly and sincerly as she awaits for him to answer all her questions and laugh at her for always getting lost down here, no matter how many times she visits Gorbaik.*

Nightwing

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 01:23:18 pm »
The dermorian looked at the lady thankfully. He had escaped the tavern most fortunately, only to end up totally lost down here. Gorwen still had his sword and so far had not met a rat that could pose a serious threat to him. His father had taught him well.

The boy wondered whether to show the strange symbols and the small metal rat to this enkidukai. She seemed used to visiting the sewers and could perhaps have clues to what meaning the items handed to him by the dark skinned woman could have. The eyes of that woman had been so intense! The boy decided that she either had been very powerful - or completely insane. For now he would assume the first.

Gorwen therefore thought it best to keep the objects of mystery to himself for the time being. If this nice lady would help him as she offered, then he might reconsider. So far he knew little of who might be friend and who might be foe in Hydlaa.

"I would appreciate it if you could guide me down here", Gorwen said, "although I am not in any hurry to go back up to the surface." In his mind, the dermorian saw the image of the towering man in black in the tavern door. "Who is this Gorbiak, if I may ask?"

The tall woman had a nice smile, her presence felt comforting to the boy. The dermorian really had a feeling he could trust her. Gorwen could only hope that he was not wrong about this. Down here, he might not be much of a match for many, should they decide to rob or attack him.

"Oh, I am sorry!" the boy suddenly continued. "I have not introduced myself. My name is Gorwen."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:04:58 pm by Nightwing »