Author Topic: Etherwight Manual  (Read 3454 times)

Kieve

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Creative Hack
    • View Profile
    • KRS MediaWorks
Re: Etherwight Manual
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 04:06:24 pm »
Meh, that's your choice. See the preface in the OP. ;)
And yes, yes it does.

Weavers

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 09:03:26 pm »
As long as all those involved with this RP fully understand that it is outside of known Settings, does not and will never officially exist, and do not try to force the roleplay on others where it is not wanted, there should be no issue here. We encourage players to be creative in their RPs.

In our observations, there are two basic types of 'rule benders'. The first type are breakers, going against the known Settings by creating plots that are specifically against the known lore, often for their own enjoyment. They will try to bring things into the game that do not fit believably, and try to justify them in vague ways. If challenged, the response is often outrage and rebellious acts.

The other type are those who try to follow the Settings closely while stepping just outside of its bounds to create an enjoyable story for everyone involved. When challenged, they will try to adapt their plots to be more acceptable. Much of the current Settings team is comprised of this type of player, including the Settings team leader, Xillix (claims to fame: Tried to be Octarch, then ran the Laanx Temple), Under the moon (claim to fame: The Un-common Cold), and others to a lesser degree.

The Lore and Settings of the game do matter, and as long as they are respected, a little 'bending' is acceptable.

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 02:39:34 pm »
So, if a little bending is acceptable... For example, could a character possibly learn "Blood Way" (like, controlling the blood from any organism, could be an extension of Blue Way since that seems to make sense, or a combination of Blue and Dark Way)? Or is that breaking instead of bending? It would make for an awesome horror roleplay...  :devil: At least it follows settings more than these Etherwhatevers.

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 03:34:56 pm »
"Blood Way? "  Lolitra slaps her forehead.  "What have you started here?"

Whereby I like the original idea in this thread - I do think it is prone to 'abuse' in that others will make up their own too.   If you want to make up things they should really not be new races or magic.  Name places are sort of acceptable as those can be 'changed' as towns and places do change names... but even then, this is a tenuous thing - believe me I know.
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Prolix

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 07:09:32 pm »
I think what I was mostly trying to say is that it is a shame to do all this exceptional work and not have it stick. I would definitely encourage kieve to apply for a position as an event gm or settings developer. I suspect that his posted stuff might go a long way toward his acceptance. It is just unfortunate to do all this work when the rule is user created additions will not be officially included.

Any suggestion about what I might create were rhetorical.

Kieve

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Creative Hack
    • View Profile
    • KRS MediaWorks
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 12:09:00 am »
Prolix, in that regard Art keeps me more than busy enough. Plenty of other tasks that need doing. But trust me, if you see any other creations developed so extensively, it won't be until they're in-game. Hopefully, with as little "filtering" as possible.

As far as the "what others might do" argument, it tends to fall under what we call a "slippery slope" fallacy. I won't say it's entirely without basis, but nor do I think my wraiths will tip the scales heavily in one direction or the other: if for no other reason than the one Duraza stated, they're not that popular. :lol: Point being, folks will do what they like, with or without my encouragement. And in this instance, I have every intention of staying as "on top of things" as I can possibly be, to ensure that it doesn't go beyond its original intent.