Author Topic: A Betrayal at Dusk [a forum RP]  (Read 1863 times)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A Betrayal at Dusk [a forum RP]
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 02:48:40 pm »
The Settling Night

Jajix watches the fireball rise into the night sky from the deepening shadows of the back alley. Mentally he crosses off three names from his list. One, a brave man, brave but stupid enough to sacrifice himself, and two just stupid enough to think they could get away with their betrayal. As the flare rolls and dissipates up into the dark sky he whispers a small incantation, wrapping the shadows around himself like a cloak, and slinks down further down the alley. There is a schedule to keep, and time is of the essence.

As he rounds a corner he finds the figure of Rhianon slumped against a filth covered wall. He stops and holds his breathing. Remaining motionless, he surveys the scene from within the safety of his shadowy veil. He can see that she is unconscious and his eyes search for the reason why, finding it in the dark blood oozing from the puncture in her thigh. Hers isn't a face that he has seen before, and in his position he takes care to know even the most intimate of details of every inhabitant of this town. Just lost three of my men, maybe more... Ah, I guess I have the time to gain a recruit in replacement.

He dismisses the cloak of shadows and in its stead summons a veil of faint azure light that softens his features, smoothes his voice and overall makes him more charming and trustful in the eye of the beholder. He approaches, crouches down before her and hovers his dark-skinned hands over her wound, emanating waves of benign crystal energies which quicken the healing process. After her flesh and skin have closed in around the wound leaving behind a small, round, white scar, he leans in and taps on her cheek with increasing strength until she wakes.

"Shhh..." he puts a finger to his lips and continues in a hushed whisper, "I can tell you're not from around here. Listen, tonight's not the best time to be a stranger in this town. I know how to stay hidden in these parts, so, unless you wanna be captured and questioned by the guards, it's best you come with me."

With this, the crafty Diaboli offers Rhianon his hand and a smile, his white teeth and golden eyes shining brightly from behind his jet black skin.

Back at the plaza chaos still ensues. Flaming rubble from the tavern is scattered across the open square. People lie injured and pinned beneath the wreckage, trampled under foot as those who remained unscathed scatter for safer grounds. The Vigesimi remains standing shocked on the stage, rotten egg on his face, bits of shell stuck to his hair, but only for an instant until all his years as a commanding officer of the guard catch up to him and he begins to shout orders, taking control of the situation.

He turns to the Guard Commander and barks, "I want men stationed at every exit. Make sure no one leaves the square. Anyone who has skills in healing tend to the wounded..."

The Commander has the audacity to interject, "Sir!... I daresay, we need to get you and your people out of here quickly. This is obviously a deliberate attack and we don't even know who the enemy is. There may still be assassins hidden amongst the crowd..."

The Vigesimi looks the Commander square in the eye, "Until the people of this city are safe, I will not be abandoning them. Have all exits barricaded. No one is to leave. If there are assassins, YOU will find them. I want any of your men with knowledge of Red Way at my side. We need to get this fire under control, and then we can begin to search for the culprit. Do I make myself clear Commander?"

"Yes Sir," the commander obliges and begins to relay the orders out to his men.

The Vigesimi then calls his court mage forward and orders, "Take my family to the palace and return here at once. You may be the most learned Crystal Way user within these city walls, so make haste."

The mage nods his affirmation and gathers the Vigesimi's wife and children around him. With a blink of an eye and a flash of azure light, they are gone.

The Vigesimi now turns and surveys the tumultuous plaza as he waits for his orders to take action. He feels the egg still dripping from his face and shouts out again, "And would someone please! Get me a towel!"

On the cobblestone pavement, Micah lies blinking in pain. His captors had thrown him aside in their panicked flight, and he had been trampled under foot. He can feel his foot is surely broken, and maybe a rib, as sharp pain runs up his leg and fills his side. There is nothing he can do though, but moan and cry out for help, while his eyes dart across the plaza to try and spot Keelana, but she is no where to be seen.

But there is one who does see her. It is the crimson haired Lemur minstrel, who had watched the fenki girl from the moment of her rebellious egg toss. She recognized Keelana from the dancefloor earlier that day, and knew that her friend and sister had been in the tavern along with her companions at the time of the explosion. An empathetic pity seizes her and she rushes towards the overturned barrel to offer her assistance. Luckily, she had only been shocked by the explosion, and remained physically unharmed. Luckier still, she had plenty of time during her travels to study the healing arts of Crystal Way, and had plenty of opportunities to use it too, the roads between towns being a haven for violent creatures and bandits alike.

She reaches the barrel and peers inside, finding Keelana unconscious within, a hastily misapplied tourniquet around her leg failing to stop a steady trickle of blood flowing from a nasty wound in her calf. The minstrel clutches her talisman of Talad, the god who she trusts has protected her on her journey through life and asks that he watch over this young girl as well. She pulls the fenki from the barrel and summons forth the healing energies capable of closing the wound and stopping the bleeding.

Szahia has carefully made it through the terrified crowd and avoided injury, but the guards are beginning to post at the plaza exits, preventing any easy escape. She's safe for now, if she remains calm and keeps her wits about her, but her associate in crime is in a bit of a pickle.

The explosion had knocked both Kjarin and Hynlan off of their feet, sending them colliding with each other. The Ynnwn's bulky size and heavy armor led to him toppling on top of the boy, and Kjarin is now pinned beneath the Blacksmith Guild Captain, the ruby encrusted dagger in his grasp. In other words, he's been caught red handed.

Hynlan rolls over on the boy, planting his knee in Kjarin's back, and bends his arm backwards, snatching the dagger out of his hand. "What's this?" he asks, "You dare to try and rob ME? Oh, foolish boy, what a grave mistake you've just made."

With a quick heave he lifts Kjarin up to his feet, his arms now both twisted behind his back in a most painful manner. "I should take you to the guards, but they're quite busy right now, as you can see. Maybe I should make an example of you right here and now, slit your throat with this dagger that you so covet," he sneers at the boy, his voice grown gravelly with rage. He shoves Kjarin into the booth and presses his face against the course grained wood. "You're one of Jag's  boys aren't you. I should have known that slimy thief would betray our trust."

Shoving his shoulder into the boy he pins him up against the stall, twisting his arms one at a time he uses the dagger to cut off a finger from each hand. "That'll show you thieves who you're messing with." As Kjarin cries out in pain, Hynlan smashes his head against the planking, knocking him out cold. He tosses the boy over the stall and growls to his associate now petrified with fear, "Tie him up. Gag him. And hide him under some tarps. The night is still young and I'm not through with him yet."

He turns his steely eyes back on the plaza, and watches as things continue to unfold.

[edited to fix some tense issues]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:50:48 am by Aramara Meibi »
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 12:26:30 pm »
Keelana's eyes open slowly. She feels the unfamiliar tingle of Crystal Way energy on her leg, and watches the Lemur heal her, fascinated at the rapdily closing wound.

"Thanks, miss," she says, then props herself up on her elbow, scanning the crowd. "Did you see a menki about my age in the chaos? I think I...I think he might be in trouble. Because of me."

She pauses for a split second before she groans, grumbling the idea that just popped into her mind, "I bet everyone'll think Micah and I were connected to the fire somehow. Had to pick today to blow someplace up, didn't they..."

She's still in tremendous pain, head pounding, lungs aching. At least it's less of a struggle to think clearly now. A male voice shouts something about barricaded exits. She tries to look brave, focusing on putting up this front to keep from mentally running through the consequences of her actions. She puts her belt back on properly after unbuckling it from her calf, finding her clothing half-soaked from what was left of the barrel's contents. "Could be worse, at least it's on the shirt, too, so you don't look like you peed yourself."
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 10:14:10 am »
Szahia swears lowly. It had to be her luck that all of that happened on the same day. If that stupid guy didn't join her earlier, she would have never attracted the attention of the other. She shifts her weight uncomfortably. She could try and free him, but then she will be caught with all those guards in there. And if she doesn't do anything, it will be her fault as well. Because she could have tried to free him.

Her ears flatten on her head. She had no joice. But first she had to get rid of evidence. Meaning her loot... There is a tree not far from here, she had used as a hiding place in the past. People usually just don't climb. She turns around and runs off. She will think about the next step when she returns.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »
Rhianon had a pretty good sense of people. She knew that this man was not the good Samaritan he wished she'd mistake him for, even as she felt the warm and comforting sensation of healing Crystal magic closing her wound. She took a deep breath of air, very conscious that the gap in her now torn trousers let fire-scarred flesh show through. She dismissed this fact quickly, necessity in place of irrelevance, and weighed her options.

She could refuse. But, despite his amiable facade, gut instinct told the elf that such a refusal would not bode well for her. After her last trip to the Realm, she had no desire to traipse again amidst the myriad labyrinth that was Dakkru's domain. Not that she found death a particularly startling thing any longer. It was merely inconvenient, and the taste of cold steel in her flesh, unsavory.

So the dermorian let a smile spread like a crack along her face, highlighting her bright green eyes, accenting her dimples. “What a gentleman,” she cooed, with just enough sincerity and levity in her voice to convey a sense of gratitude, without being overbearing. Like a cloak, she slipped into the happy role of rescued damsel, batted her eyelashes just so, and gently passed a gloved hand over the man's outstretched arm in a smooth gesture of thanks. Clasping his hand with her own, she pulled herself to her feet, and feigned fear, her eyes going quite wide and doe-like. “You don't think someone did that little show on purpose, do you?” She inquired, stepping closer to the Diaboli. Her face twisted and she nodded like a puppet on a string to his words. “Guards are unsavory creatures. I would be most grateful for your continued help.”

As she wove her arm through his, she subtly tested its strength. Fighter? Already she could deduce he was a mage, but at what level of capacity was he trained? Quickly Rhianon calculated her own defenses: light of foot, a trained killer, various knives hidden close to her skin and beneath her clothing. Hands that were trained to quickly free those daggers of their binding and sink the blades into vulnerable openings in someone's guard.

But for the moment, she only smiled graciously up at the man, and prepared to follow him into the dark back alleys wherever he would lead.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 12:26:20 pm »
Carefully, the Lemur minstrel helps Keelana to her feet and stroked the top of her head. She realizes that the fact that this fenki's friends were trapped in the inferno had not yet dawned on the girl, but she hasn't the heart to be the one to inform her. She feels the need to perhaps keep the girl's mind busy, distracted from this fact and at least be there to comfort and support her the moment she does come to comprehend it. Not only that, but she needs to keep her own mind distracted from the fact that her companions too were in that blast, life long friends they were, talented artists with merry personas, and the chances were high that she may never see them again.

"Please, call me Eyolil," she tells Keelana, "Let's see if we can find your friend... In the meantime, there are others who are injured and could use aid. I could use your help, please."

She offers Keelana her arm for support and together the meander through the now dazed and shuffling crowd. The general panic has begun to subside, and as people find themselves turned away from the plaza exits, they begin to console and care for each other as compassion overcomes the more base instinct of self preservation. Eyolil and Keelana move from one injured person to the next. The Lemur limits herself to simple Crystal Way spells to heal burns and flesh wounds, preserving her energies and leaving the severe injuries to more practiced healers.

It doesn't take long, though, for them to come across Micah, who by now is sitting with his back against the pedestal of a statue, clutching his sides, wincing, and seething in pain. Eyolil inspects him and remarks, "We need to get you to a doctor who can set your bones before any healing magic can be performed."

Micah nods to the amiable stranger and looks up at Keelana through misted eyes, still dazed and on the verge of shock from the pain, "Keelana... what happened? Who did this? It wasn't..." He leaves the thought incomplete as he takes in a sharp breath through clenched teeth.

Eyoli looks at the clamod fenki, "Keelana? Is that you're name? Stay with him, ok? I'm going to go find someone who can help." With that, the Lemur stands and disappears into the mingling crowd.

Szahia finds her cache tree at the edge of the plaza welcomingly unguarded and out of sight. If she is to help her unlucky would be accomplice, she better act quickly though. Kjarin remains unconscious beneath a tarp behind the Blacksmith Guild's booth, guarded by the Guild Captain Hynlan and the rookie barker. Hynlan scans the scene of the plaza cautiously, and when he is sure certain people are thoroughly distracted, he pulls a small crystal pendant from under his armor. The crystal begins to glow in a faint, cool blue light as he raises it to his lips and speaks into it.

"I got your boy. Our mutual friend sent his family away, as expected, but he remained behind..." A hushed sound not unlike the rustling of leaves in the wind emanates from the crystal and Hynlan stops to listen, "...what do you mean both of them?... a fenki? Hmph... No, no, I think I know just the one.... No, no, a deal's a deal brother. I'll get her for you."

Hynlan replaces the pendant with a smirk. He turns to his underling and orders, "Keep an eye on our cargo here. If he moves... hurt him. I got some business to take care of." He laughs and moves off into the crowd, leaving behind Kjarin and his young guardian who is trembling and sweating profusely.

Vigesimi Destrinoir gathers about him all the Red Way practitioners in the service of the guard, as well as some civilian volunteers, and they surround the burning rubble of the tavern subduing the extinguishing the flames before they are able to spread throughout the town. When all that is left is smoldering timber and the charred remains of furnishings and patrons alike, the guards begin to sift through the rubble for clues. It doesn't take them long to find a scroll which is conspicuously not singed by the flames. The guards present it to the Vigesimi who unrolls it to find a manifesto, bordered by protective Red Way runes, proclaiming the Gods given rights and liberties of the people, extolling the virtues of individualism and self governance. It calls for the destruction and fall of the oppressive rule of the Octarchal system and is signed by one Iasrillo Chathatki.

"I know this," speaks up the Guard Commander, "I've seen this type of stuff posted around town. It's the work of that crazy menki, the one we banished out of town cycles ago, remember?" He shakes his head in disbelief, adding, "Man... I knew he was clackers, but I didn't ever think he'd go this far..."

The Vigesimi rolls the scroll back up, his face set in grim determination, "I want a full squadron... your best men, mounted on rivnak. I'm going to need Arkus..." he stops and looks up, his eyes searching the plaza for his court mage who he had ordered to return immediately once his family had reached safety. "He should be back here by now, where is he?"

His men glance at each other first, none of them having seen the mage since his teleportation spell. "Something's wrong..." says the Vigesimi, "Guards to the city walls. I want all gates in and out of town shut and secured. Commander... we ride to the palace first."

Meanwhile, Jajix has lead Rhianon into a dark dead-end alley. Just as maybe her worst suspicions arise, the Diaboli raises a hand to the inconspicuous and unremarkable masonry. Rune-like tattoos otherwise hidden on his jet black skin glow an azure blue, and the apparent surface of the back wall shimmers and wavers and then vanishes completely, revealing a deep tunnel hidden behind the illusionary facade.

Always a performer, Jajix smiles at Rhianon as he reveals this illusion and motions her to step inside. Just as he is about to follow in after her, he stops suddenly. A previously unnoticeable small jewel pierced into the inner lobe of his ear begins to glow, the same cold blue as the tattoos on his hand. A barely audible whisper can be heard and the Diaboli's face sets into a stern frown. His eyes lock and narrow on Rhianon as he perceives the message coming from the jewel. He speaks aloud in response, his tone curt and short, "Don't worry about it. I'll take care of it. But the deal was for you to catch both of them... the Ylian kid and the fenki... Is this a problem?... Good. I wouldn't want you to short me..."

After the conversation ends and the jewel quits its soft glow, Jajix smiles again at Rhianon, his friendly countenance immediately reappearing. "Sorry about that, just a little unpleasant business..." he sighs and adds, "Good, reliable men are such a rarity these days... anyways, it seems now I will have to make a short stop on our way out, if you don't mind. It shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. Shall we?"

With this he steps fully into the tunnel and the illusionary wall appears again behind him. He takes a small conveniently placed torch off the wall, lights it with a snap of his fingers, and leads Rhianon into the Detrats underground.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 03:35:59 am »
Keelana follows Eyoli through the crowd, helping where she can - cleaning wounds, applying bandages, and following the instructions of anyone who knows more about healing than her, which is pretty much everyone. The plan to keep her mind busy works to some extent, although the fenki steals glances here and there, searching for her friend and sister.

"If anything's happened to Tagiri, Mom's gonna send me off to live with Dad," she thinks irrationally. "She probably ran straight home. Yeah. Got scared and she's safe with Rhishandra."

They find one person Keelana knows - and the last one she wants to see right now. "Eoli, I-" she says, but the Lemur is already gone by the time the words escape her. She turns to Micah.

"I've no idea who caused the explosion," she snaps. A guilty expression crosses her face as she looks Micah over. He really is in bad condition, and there's a nagging feeling that it's her fault. Plus, there was the argument she narrowly avoided having with him earlier. She continues, more gently, "I thought I was going to cause the biggest shock tonight. Guess I was upstaged. What about you - are you...well, you're not alright, obviously. How are you feeling?"
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 08:24:57 am »
Rats. Stupid Rats. Everything went wrong after that guy showed up while she waited. First this stupid request and now this. What an unlucky day. That Ynnwn had already vanished into the crowd. Getting the dagger without help is now impossible.

That useless guy is out cold as well, so if she wants to free him, she will have to drag him around. No way she is going to do it. The guard might not be a problem, she could smell his sweat even here, but dragging a nearly grown up man around is a bit much to ask from her.

She draws her claws, testing them for their sharpness. She doesn't use knives like the other kids. Her knives areher claws. More effecient and much better to hide than a knife will ever be. She had sharped them yesterday. After all she had expected to use them a lot today. She probably still would. But not for what she  expected.

She takes a deep breath and hushes along the shadow of the houses to get closer to the guard. If Kjarin moves, she would be ready to move as well and take out the guard. One way or another. She is no killer, but she would hurt that guard if needed.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 03:07:02 pm »
This one has connections.

Rhianon pondered this fact to herself unobtrusively as she went about the artful act of twirling a lock of her hair around one finger. It was an unfortunate revelation to be certain, as she stared past his shoulder and down into the tunnel he presented her with. More than a small rogue hoping to take advantage of a pretty girl, apparently. He had other motivations that, while by proxy might also fall under the category of more sinister, were more importantly likely hard to extricate oneself from. Not that the elf wasn't accustomed to such sticky situations, nor was she unawares of how to get her way out of the webs that men like this tended to weave. But she was at a considerable disadvantage. He had her in height and probably brute strength, and to top it off he'd been displaying bought after of bought of magic as though it were child's play. True, the runes on the surface of the wall were probably accountable for most of the power in this particular trick, but activating them still took a level of skill. A level she was not about to prod in an attempt to gouge its depth.

She followed him silently as she continued to deliberate. The fire on the torch, minimal as it was, was still enough to make her nervous, so she kept herself at arm's length to avoid feeling the haunting heat from the innocent flame. Tugging her cloak more tightly around herself, her feet moved deftly over the cool sod, denied of crystalshine, and she wondered precisely how old this tunnel could be. Her eyes drifted over the half-illuminated walls in an effort to pierce some of their mystery, as well as to ascertain what their original intention might be.

Sadly, architecture was not her field of study. With a deflating inward sigh, Rhianon sidled grudgingly closer to Jajix, and chimed in a light, conversational tone, “So who built this place anyway?”

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 03:40:58 pm »
From under the tarp comes a muffled moan. Kjarin is beginning to stir. Qoulian glances over, his thin blonde hair saturated with sweat sticks in snaking strands across his beaded forehead. He knows Kjarin. They grey up only two houses away from each other on the same street. One time, when they were younger, Kjarin's father was caught entering their house and trying to steal the family heirloom crest. Instead of bringing his father to the guards, Qoulian's parents loaned him the needed tria and established him as a worker in their bakery until he had worked off the debt. The two boys grew up as best friends. Both families were in financial trouble now, and Qoulian had been sent off to apprentice with the Blacksmith Guild 3 months ago, and the boys lost touch. Apparently, in the mean time, Kjarin had been helping his family out by following in his father's footsteps.

What was he thinking trying to steal that dagger! Hynlan is going to have him killed!  That is for certain. Qoulian whimpers. He needs to get his best friend out of here, but Hynlan would be after him too if he does. And what's worse, Hynlan knows everything about his family; it was all written into the contract his parents had entered him into.  Ah mannnn, I am NOT cut out for this... WHAT DO I DO?

Qoulian takes one long last sniveling look at the heap of darts and moans, "Ohhh... I'm so sorry Kjarin," and darts out the back of the booth, where he immediately bumps into Szahia.

It doesn't take long for his already fearful mind to register what purpose she intends and he cowers backwards, "Your here to get him... Kjarin.. take him, please... just... don't hurt me!"

He raises his hands in front of his face in a defensive gesture, but peaks through his fingers after a moment of not being hit. "W-w-w-w-wait..." he stammers, "Y-you can't carry him all by yourself... and... and I know where we can take him... L-l-let me help you... take me with you!" His voice cracks and he covers his mouth, realizing how loud he was just speaking and adds in a whispering plea, "pleeeease?"

Meanwhile, Qoulian's employer is scouring the crowd looking for a very particular fenki. It's obvious to him that the egg throwing spectacle was meant as a distraction while that sniveling diseased rat tried to take the dagger. It had nearly worked too, if the explosion hadn't knocked him backwards and into the boy thief. These kids think they're so smart, but not smart enough to get away from taking an extra cut from Jag. The thought brings a smirk to his face as her peruses through the injured bodies littering the plaza yard. As far as he knows, the simple set up to catch both looters has been halfway successful. He is intent on seeing it complete.

The one he is mistakenly looking for is ironically being reassured by her wounded friend. Micah bravely waves off Keelana's question, but a tight wince betrays his bluff, "I'm alright... don't worry about me... I'm just glad I wasn't in that blast. Still, it's gotta make you wonder why... who would do such a thing?" As all things do, slowly it dawns on him, "Keelana!" his eyes widen, "You got to get out of here! They'll think that your part of it!"

Before she can answer, Eyolil quickly returns with help in tow. "There he is!" she points the wounded menki teen out and without pause explains, "Keelana, they're evacuating the rest of the wounded to the hospital. I'm going to go with them, for they need all the help they can get. You should come with us." She tries to sound encouraging but in the back of her mind knows the prospect may not seem favorable to the fenki. Her hope is to keep Keelana out of the eye of any suspicion and her mind occupied all the while.

"This man says he can help your friend to get special treatment." Keelana and Micah both should be able to recognize who she is referring to. The man she brought to help, a towering Ynnwn with silvery hair and adorned in armor equal in splendor to that of the Vigesimi, bends down to scoop Micah up. His very identity should confirm her statement, for he is Hynlan the Captain of the Blacksmith's Guild, and it's well known he has pull throughout the town.

Hynlan cracks a smile down at Keelana as he shifts Micah in his arms. "Heh. That was a gutsy move you pulled kid, but don't worry, your secret's safe with me. You should listen to the lady here, they'll be asking less questions at the hospital than they will if you stick around."

Gathered around the charred ruins of the tavern, the Vigesimi and his men have mounted and are leaving the plaza for the palace. Orders are being carried out throughout the city; the plaza is being cleared as most of the guards head towards the outer gates to secure them shut. It should be easy now for anyone to leave the plaza without much hassle, but leaving the city is out of the question. That is, for anyone who doesn't have access to the underground.

Two such people, Rhianon and Jajix move through the cramped corridors. Jajix answers Rhianon, but because of many coinciding factors, the closeness of her hood, the flickering torchlight against the dank, cavernous dark, the odd angle between them, she has no way to see whether or not his mouth was moving. Despite the visual obscurities, the vocal component of his voice reaches her sharp and clear. There is no echo  when he speaks as one would expect in the narrow passage. The quality of his voice is near to perfect with hardly a traceable flaw. Still, within the tonality there carries the trace of a smirk.

"Notice how this corridor is just wide and tall enough to fit a large barrel. You see, under the old Vigesimi, this town was dry. Bootleggers built these tunnels to get their goods in and out of the city undetected. Of course, our current beloved leader has relaxed that law and the booze running ran out of business. It's impressive to see how much easier it is to be a criminal the more crimes there are to be committed. Nowadays, the good people truck the booze in under the plain light of day, while these tunnels go all but forgotten."

A few silent steps later and Jajix stops suddenly and moves to the side. Again he dismisses a wall illusion similar to the one outside but adapted to fit their current setting. This time the entrance is further concealed by a large and heavy fur which he pulls aside to reveal the telltale blinking red light of a campfire along with the savory smells of smoke and roasting meat.  Again he motions Rhianon to step in before him.

They step through and into a rather large if low ceilinged bunker. It is peculiarly homey and well furnished; a fire pit dominates the center with a large hunk of kormi meat golden brown and sizzling on an open spit, several long tables fill two sides and along the wall furthest from where they stand are stacked sacks and crates filled with pilfered items. There are doors leading into other rooms and hallways, a perfect defensive design for a quick getaway, one heavily concealed entrance and multiple convenient exits.

There are a number of occupants in the room; one man tends the spit while others sit at the tables. A few eyes look up to meet them as they enter, but not a word is exchanged, at least none that Rhianon can hear. A perceptive mind would take note that each resident of the bunker seems to be occupied with an individual task, tending the roast, counting stacks of tria and recording detailed figures, sorting out objects into varied stockpiles. They are all silent, consumed by their work.

As soon as Rhianon crosses the threshold, she has an almost imperceptible sensation, a small tingling that starts at her scalp and ends at the tip of her toes. It is quick and subtle, but doesn't go without notice. Jajix, if he feels the same, remains unhindered and turns quickly to face her. "Wait here... and keep a close eye on your possessions. We can't be held responsible for any items that may end up missing during your stay."

He walks through the room towards the back wall where there is a heavy wooden door which leads into an even deeper cellar. The room behind the door is dimly lit by only a few oil lanterns. It is dark and dingy, the air filled with the musty smell of mold and mildew, the floor littered with the bones of creatures long ago digested. Huddled together in the far corner tremble the Vigesimi's family. Before them, Arkus stands with the confidence of a man who knows exactly what the consequences are and is willing to stand against them.

The two men face each other and a psychic tremor can be felt between them. In a flash their minds meet and their memories, all the sensory information recorded since the last time they performed this meld, are instantaneously shared between them. Arkus's mental report only confirms Hynlan's verbal one.  Jajix growls, the Vigesimi still remains at large. The Diaboli meets Arkus's eyes and orders directly, his voice masked in a bent pitch, "Kill them and send their bodies to the palace. Injure yourself, make it look like an ambush. Oh... and see if you can't save the jewelry."

Jajix returns to the main bunker and calls a runner forth. He whispers a message to the young boy who then goes scurrying down one of the side tunnels. There are screams of terror and flashes of prismatic light emanating from behind the heavy door of the back room as the Diaboli returns to fetch Rhianon. "My apologies, m'lady. Just trying to keep things nice and tidy around here, can't have any loose ends, you know. Now... I have more business to take care of outside the city walls, and I believe that's where you were headed miss, so shall I continue my escort?"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:38:30 am by Aramara Meibi »

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 04:27:31 am »
Keelana's ears lower, but she manages to keep them from flattening against her skull entirely as she looks up at Hynlan. She doesn't bother to hide the distrust in her reply, narrowing her eyes a little.

"Yeah, I guess the hospital's the only logical place to go at this point."

Her eyes are on the Ynnwn but her words are as much for Micah as the Captain. There are few enough ways out at this point. She's heard of tunnels beneath the city but has never been trusted with their location - probably precisely because she's so likely to get caught like this.

She feels like some creature is gnawing on her stomach from the inside, wishing for a moment that she never threw those eggs. She could have listened to Mother. She would know where her little sister is right now, if she had. What she views as a moment of weakness ends once the urge to cry hits. It's a reasonable reaction. People died in that fire. Yet, she wants to look as calm as possible. Taking a deep breath, she steels herself. She knew what she was risking. If she gets locked away or worse for the cause, it's that much more reason for her father to make sure it wasn't in vain. At least, she likes to think that's what would happen...the thought that he may be behind this crossed her mind more than once since the explosion. Micah's question, "Who would do such a thing?" rings through her mind, and she doesn't dare answer it.
Role Play Preferences

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »
Kjarin already was about to take a step backwards and dart off if needed. But that guard didn't look like he was about to harm her. She still stands ready to leave at the first sign of him tricking her. At his words, her eyes wandered shortly to where Kjarin was, revealing her intention even if that guard hadn't guessed it before.

She hesitates a moment after the plea, having her eyes wandering to the crowd, then back to Qoulian. Her voice is low, just loud enoung that the other guy can hear her. "Alright big guy. We can do this. But first promise me that you will keep quiet. I can't have anyone paying attention to us just because of your loud voice."

She barely waits for the nod of Qoulian before continuing. "First we need to get him out of this place. In the city itself it should be easier. Just get him. Move!" Her voice is pressing at the end, urging the other to move. The faster they got away from here, the better.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 12:57:45 pm »
Rhianon wondered if the man could be any more painfully obvious. If he thought his forcibly suave demeanor was fooling her, then he was either an idiot, or she was a better actress than she could ever have imagined. His words dripped with a false sincerity, and, natural Diaboli charm or no, she knew a snake when she saw one. No matter the copious amount honey dripping from his forked tongue.

The tingle that shuddered down her spine from the magic hardly helped matters either. Her knowledge of such things was limited, but she'd been attacked by mages enough times to realize when something outside of the physical was being used as a barricade. Her eyes skimmed over the different faces in the room, and the expressions and gestures told her that wordless communication was somehow being garnered.

A web, perhaps. A web of connective energies. Azure Way. I wasn't aware that an entire corridor could be enchanted. I cannot imagine the kind of power it would take in order to accomplish such a thing. Gods willing I never run in to a mage like that.

Despite her worry, that did divulge one thing. Her "escort" needed assistance in these things, or so she'd devised. If that was true, perhaps he was not nearly as powerful as he appeared. And if this held water, it would be...well, somewhat less than impossible to confront him should the need arise. After a thorough inspection of the room and a few moment's pause to gather her thoughts, she turned her head and flashed another dimpled, brilliant smile his way.

"Of course! Lead the way."

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 04:12:50 pm »
The hospital is overcrowded with the injured and suffering, burned and broken bodies litter the beds, cots, and filled the hallways. Nurses stop to assess each one as they are delivered, the healers attending to the most critical first. In Yliakum's own particular brand of reverence, the corpses of the weak willed are piled in a small courtyard out back, waiting in the still night air to be dumped into the gaping maw of the nearest burial well.

Eyolil follows in after Hynlan as the bulky and proudly decorated Ynnwn transports the injured Micah and deposits him like a sack of ore onto the granite corridor floor. "Careful with him," she whispers a plea too late, "don't break him any more than he already is!"

"Don't worry yourself miss, someone'll come by and the kid'll be healed up in no time."

Micah perceptibly winces, but tries to remain tough in the company of Keelana. To the bard and smith present, he only looks hurt and scared.

A nurse comes by to check on the enki boy and scuttles off to the next patient dropped next in line. Eyolil follows after her, offering assistance with first aid and minor injuries, leaving behind Keelana and Hynlan to watch over Micah. She tries to keep an eye on them, but soon finds herself caught up in her work as more and more wounded are being brought to the hospital.

With her out of the way, Hynlan shifts impatiently beneath his gilded armor. His eyes dart around in quick glances before he half jokes to Keelana, "Pretty lucky no one's recognized you yet kid. Except myself, of course. Nice number of guards around though, it's only a matter of time. I gotta place you can hide, you know. But we gotta get moving 'fore it's too late. Don't worry 'bout your boyfriend, someone'll take care of him eventually."

Still wincing in pain, Micah looks up expectantly to Keelana. He knows that Hynlan's words are true, that she would be safer somewhere else, hidden, but a deeper, now hurting, side of him ached for her to stay. Under the duress of his injuries, he lacks the fortitude to express his wishes either way and remains silent, bravely awaiting her choice.

Hynlan has reason to be so impatient; he left his other target under the care of a whimpering apprentice, a whimpering apprentice who is now assisting in the escape of said target. Qoulian carries the mostly passed out Kjarin by the pits of his arms, while Szahia supports his legs. With all the injured being transported from the plaza to the hospital, they fail to look conspicuous, although Kjarin's injuries are not typical for the victim of an explosion. Blood thick with coagulation drips from his severed fingers and leaves a wine dark trail in their wake.

"Looks like people are being evacuated to the hospital... maybe we can take him there," Qoulian suggests as he begins to struggle under the thief boy's weight. It's not a bad idea, actually; they can easily deposit him amongst the other injured and leave without too many questions, but they do have another option. Being an apprentice of the thieves guild, Szahia is privy to the location of a few entrances to the underground tunnels. Not the magically concealed entrance used earlier by Jajix and Rhianon, but there are several caches and safehouses scattered in strategic spots throughout the city that even a low level thief such as herself would have access to.

The man Szahia only knows as master, a vague entity who orders her around through a clandestine network of message runners, happily takes Rhianon's arm in his own. His smile and charm matches the authenticity of hers as he leads her out of the cellar room, but his aspect quickly settles into a frown of determination once they are on their way. His steps are those of a man thinking on his feet, hurriedly staying one step ahead of his opponent in a match of wits. His well laid plan has met a snag or two, and so his mind shuffles through options and contingencies, forming new strategies in near real time. Distracted, or otherwise unconcerned, he leads Rhianon directly into the fail safe psychic dart trap she had triggered upon entering the thieves' den.

With the tingling sensation she felt earlier  and her musing premonitions as her only warning, Rhianon is suddenly blinded with a flash of violet-blue light. The flash is accompanied by a crippling ringing in her sensitive elven ears, reverberating with interminable sustain down the dark and long corridor. The light clears, confronting her with a disorienting vision, as the underground hall seems to bend and twist, diverging down every perceivable direction. The last thing Rhianon sees before she slips out of consciousness is Jajix's dark form, emerging from a vanishing point at the end of the infinite number of hallways displayed around her, until each numeration of his being converges, bringing her mind briefly into focus.

"Ooh... sorry about that..." he says with a coy smile, impassively watching her body slump listlessly to the subterranean floor.   

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 12:32:22 am »
Keelana doesn't miss a single nuance of Micah's expressions. Trying desperately to ignore the pangs of guilt she feels over getting him involved, she kisses her index and middle finger and gently presses them to the menki's forehead.

"I'm sorry. Find out if my family's safe. Tell me if- no, when, we see each other again," she says to him, then turns to Hynlan.

"If this is a trap then I won't go down without a fight," she mutters under her breath, crossing her arms with her claws fully extended. The fenki lashes her tail once, but thinks better of risking tripping somebody like that as a nurse rushes by. She tries not to think too much. Clenching her teeth against the tears she's still fighting, she wrinkles her nose, hoping it looks like it's the repulsive smells of the hospital that are making her eyes water.
Role Play Preferences

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 01:45:46 am »
Szahia grinds her teeth. She doesn't like either idea. Everything in her refuses to go to where guards could spot her and she could get caught. But at the same time she knew that she could get into trouble for showing strangers the hidden paths.

"To the hospital." She presses the words through her teeth. The problems she could get into there were less bad as the punishment of her guild.

Her muscles start to tense as they continue their way towards the hospital. She isn't used to carrying heavier things for a longer time and now feels it. She regrets a bit now that she didn't train her strength in the past.