Author Topic: Dorian's Tale  (Read 930 times)

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Dorian's Tale
« on: July 22, 2004, 02:59:07 pm »
Dorian was fed up with the people of the small town of Tornel. He needed action, adventure, and with a little luck, some romance. The only way he would accomplish this was by leaving everything and everyone he had ever known to set off on his journey. He had absolutely NO problem with this. He actually welcomed the chance to escape from the people of the village. There was only one person he would regret leaving, and he intended to ask this person to come with him. Dorian had already made all of his plans. The only thing left was to ask Thoran, his childhood friend, and the only person that ever took Dorian seriously.

\"Ho, Thoran!\" he shouted across the town square to his friend. Thoran looked up from a quilt he was bartering for, saw Dorian, and headed in his direction after paying for the quilt.

\"Ho, Dorian. What\'s the matter? You look anxious.\" Indeed, Dorian was very nervous about this escapade, and even more nervous about what Thoran\'s answer would be.

\"Thoran, you know that I have been planning on leaving this village since I could write. Well, I have finally go my chance. I already have everything packed and ready to go. I am missing but one thing.\"

\"And what would this thing be?\" Thoran asked.

\"A companion. Thoran, I want you to accompany me on this quest of mint? What say you? Will you join me?\"

(chain story, cont.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 03:02:31 pm by Icefalcon »

Zephyrus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 07:08:48 am »
(OOC: I guess I will play Thoran then)

?Hmm I don?t know Dorian; someone has to take care of May?? Replied Thoran. May was a prize winning pig and was Thoran?s pride and joy, much to everyone else?s amusement.

Thoran had always led a simple life, last year his father had died from drunkenly falling down the tavern stairs and breaking his neck. Thoran had wanted to leave home then, but his loyalty to his mother had stopped him; for the past year he had taken over his father?s pig farm and had been bringing home the bacon in more ways than one for his ailing mother. Thoran felt trapped; he did not want to spend all his life in Tornel, but neither did he want to let his mother die alone. His loyalties were split between his mother and Dorian.

Dorian chuckled ?I am sure May can take care of herself friend.?

Thoran thought about his friend?s words and his mother, and made a decision; It was time for Thoran Brandfast to make a name for himself ? time for him to lead his own life.

Thoran nodded and then let out a hearty laugh; ?Very well my friend, I will come with you. Let us show the world what the men of Tornel are capable of!?

And so it was that Thoran came to join Dorian in what would become an epic adventure.

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 09:00:18 am »
It was common knowledge in Tornel that Dorian was to leave soon, but the announcement of Thoran\'s departure as well came as a shock. The people knew that Thoran loved his mother and they all thought Thoran would stay untill she died. Then again, Thoran was rather unpredictable, and, in any case, the town decided to host a farewell party for the two former members of Tornel.

Dorian was quite surprised when he heard the news of the party a few hours later. He had told only a few people of his and Thoran\'s departure, but news spread like wildfire in a small town like Tornel. He discussed with his companion what he and Thoran would do. Would they leave earliy and skip the party? Or stay and delay their departure?

\"Hmm,\" Dorian mused, \"I believe we should stay for an extra day. We\'ve never got this much attention before, why not show off a little.\"

Zephyrus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 10:30:50 am »
?Yes, definitely ? I am never one to pass up a good party? Said Thoran with a grin on his face, ?Besides we don?t know when, or even if we will ever see this town or our friends again.? He said with a noticeably heavier tone in his voice.

Thoran would miss his childhood life ? Tornel was a beautiful town, it was on the highest level of Yliakum and as such it was basked in the warming light of the azure crystal nearly all year around. The countryside around for miles was made up of fields, canals and roads crisscrossing the landscape. Tornel was tiny compared to most towns; the only reason it was not called a village was because of the small market square which held regional traders and their wares once every week.

Despite the beauty of Tornel the young Ylian was now ready to leave. Thoran was now aged 23 years and was ready to see the wonders of the world.

?So I wonder which tavern our farewell party is going to be held at?? asked Thoran chuckling; it was a joke question ? Tornel had only one tavern; The Merry Megaras. Both he and Dorian had spent many drunk nights within its hallowed halls speaking with travelers and hearing captivating stories of the world; it was those stories that had caused their yearning for adventure. Thoran smiled as he thought about the sights he would see, the adventures he would have and the stories he would have to scare his grandchildren.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 11:45:33 am by Zephyrus »

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 01:56:46 pm »
The town quickly made all the arrangements for the farewell party. Old farmer Hashaw donated three of his primed pigs for the feast, while many of the widows donated fresh vegetables and herbs from their gardens. Dorian stared at the arrangements, he did not expect something so extravagent. The Merry Megaras\' interior was lined with streamers and banners. The owner, Li\'Jeh, graciously stopped his current bussiness to help set up.

Dorian turned to Thoran, \"Kinda makes you wonder if they are glad to see us go.\" He joked.

They both laughed before mingling with the small crowd, mainly to make an appearence. Dorian noticed Thoran standing beside his mother, her face red as if she had been crying. Dorian sobered, he never really knew his mother. She had died giving birth to his sister, who also died shortly after birth. His father had run off when he learned of Dorians existance to enlist in the Yliakum Armed Forces, or so his mother had said. Dorian, however, had other suspicions. He did not seem like the kind of person that would fit the life of a soldier. From what Dorian had gathered from his fellow townspeople, his father was a carefree drunk, never interested in polotics unless it had to do with beer. Dorian shrugged, perhaps he would learn more about his father on his journey. But for now, he was going to have fun.

Zephyrus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 04:11:07 pm »
In the single day that he had to prepare Thoran had made all the arrangements necessary; he had said his goodbyes to May and sold the pig farm to his uncle Talhunn for a tidy sum. Talhunn was the youngest brother of Thoran?s father and had just settled down in the town wife his wife Jess ? Thoran knew they would take good care of the farm and his mother while he was gone.

With the money from the farm he had bought himself supplies for the journey - a sturdy backpack, blankets, a travelling cloak, a tinder box, several small pouches, some sturdy boots, rations, a good length of rope and a small steel dagger. He didn?t want to burden himself too greatly.

Thoran had always known that saying farewell to his mother would be difficult, but he had made up his mind; he was not prepared to change it. He had already spoken to her once and told her he was leaving ? better he told her himself than she hear it through gossip. He had told her simply that he was going away for what could be a long time; he had given her what money he had left over from the farm, promised to write as often as possible and told her that aunt Jess would visit once a day ? to check she was alright. His mother had been crying, Thoran too had been on the verge of tears; but he remained strong and left hurriedly before his eyes welled up.

Before he knew it the day was over ? the sun had set and the party had begun. The music was joyous and the food was delicious. Thoran was in the mood to let his troubles wash away, and so he danced and partied with the young women of the village ? Thoran had never had much female attention, he was not a very attractive man and he knew it. But for tonight at least, being the guest of honour, all the girls wished to dance with him ? and for a moment at least he forgot loneliness.

Halfway through the evening his mother turned up and beckoned him over. Her eyes were still wet with tears, but still she smiled at him with pride and deepest love. He left his dancing partner and walked over to his mother.

?Thoran, my only son ? I love you more dearly than words can say?? She said, ?And although it pains me to say this; I think you are right ? I think it is time for you to fly the nest and see the world. I came here to tell you that you take my blessings with you? She reached inside her pouch and produced from it an amulet of cut crystal with a simple leather strap. It had been his fathers; she had kept it to remind her of the man she loved. ?Your father used to claim it was a magical good luck charm, to be honest I doubt it is magical. He found the rock whilst ploughing the little hay field by the woods, I still remember his face so clearly?? she seemed lost in the past for a moment, ?Anyway I want you to take it with you? She smiled and placed the amulet in Thoran?s hand.
?Thank you? Thoran replied, he embraced his mother and kissed her on the cheek, ?Thank you for everything; for my life, for taking care of me and for the love you taught me?

She simply smiled and said in a whispered voice ?Goodbye my son, and good luck?

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 08:55:09 pm »
Dorian also spent the afternoon preparing for the journey. He had quite a bit of money saved up, and only used a small portion of it to buy the nessesary items, a blanket, tinderbox and flint, and a knapsack in which he filled with food and a canteen. He thought about buying a tent, but decided against it. He wanted to travel light. A tent would be too much of a burden. He also grabbed his sturdy bow, which he had made himself. He was an adept marksman, and a skilled fletcher.He prided himself on his quality bows. At least he considered them good quality, it truth, they were only medeocre, but he made the best bows in town and they were good enough for the townspeople.

Before, he knew it, it was nightfall. He headed over to the party at the Merry Megaras and planned to have a good time. He whistled as he walked down the shadowy allys. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw movement. He quickly twisted around, but a gloved hand shot out of the shadows, gripping his shoulder. His eyes wide, Dorian tried to scream for help. The stranger quickly covered up his mouth.

\"Shh, I\'m not going to hurt you.\" He whispered.

\"What do you want?\" Dorian sputtered. \"Who are you?\"

The figure stepped out of the shadows and let his hood fall behind him. It was, in fact, not a he, but a she. \"I understand that you are leaving.\" She suggested quietly.

\"Yes, first thing tommorow,\" Dorian answered, \"Why.\"

\"You need to know something, you need to know about your father.\"

\"My father? My father\'s a drunk, probably dead, or at best lying homeless in an ally of a crowded street.\"

\"You were led to think that, but you are mistaken. Your father...is not what you think.\" The cloaked figure paused, \"I can only tell you where to start, for I do not know much myself. Your father hired me to send a message to you. He wants you to find him.\"

\"Ok, where is he?\" Dorian replied suspiciously.

\"I cannot tell you. He wants you to figure that out. The only information I can give you is the names of two places. The first is Tyriam.\"

\"Tyriam, thats not too far from here is it?\" Dorian questioned.

\"No, not far, but on the level below this one. The other hint I am permitted to give you is the name of a shop in Tyriam, Rye\'la\'s Outfitters. You are to go there and more will be revealed to you. This is your choice, you need not do this, but if you don\'t, you will never know the truth concerning your father.\" With those words, the figure leaped into the air, caught hold of the overhang of the building behind Dorian and vaulted onto the roof where she dissapeared without a sound.

Dorian shook his head, he did not know what to do. He realized that it wasn\'t totally his decision and that he would have to consult with Thoran first. He decided not to mention it until after the party tonight. Right now, he wanted some ale...

(Edit: sorry for the poor grammar and poor choice of words, its way too late for me :O )
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 10:49:02 am by Icefalcon »

Zephyrus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 06:10:46 pm »
To Thoran the rest of the night passed by as if in a blur. Before he knew it most of the villagers had left the tavern and gone home. Thoran decided he should probably get some rest on this night; the eve of his departure. He hurriedly finished his mug of ale and staggered up stairs to his room.

Thoran was technically homeless at the moment; he had sold his small cottage with the farm. It had been a humble home, but it had treated him well and he would miss its warmth and character. His uncle had offered to let him stay it the cottage for the night as Talhunn would not be moving in until tomorrow, but he had declined - Thoran had decided selling his home was his closure, and besides he did not want to risk changing his mind now.

Instead he had opted to stay in one of the tavern?s guest rooms; the keeper had generously given him free board as some form of leaving present. And so it was that he crawled drunkenly between two clean white sheets in a small but cozy guest room in The Merry Megaras. He blew out the candle that gently basked the room in a warm yellow glow, the candle sputtered and the room was plunged into darkness.

Thoran was extremely tired and it was not long before he felt himself fall into sleep?s loving grasp. He dreamed vividly of the stories he had heard ? of cities with their glistening spires, of forests so vast that a man could spend his entire lifetime trying to find his way out, and of magical creatures both friendly and not. Thoran had never really left Tornel; he had never seen a city or a mountain and so he naively conjured fantasies and wild imaginings about their appearances.

The following morning sunlight streamed through his small window, it was early but Thoran was too excited to lie in bed. He yawned heavily and stretched his arms, ?So today is the day? he thought to himself smiling.

He washed himself briefly in the small communal basin on the tavern?s landing; once he was done he returned to his room and prepared for the journey ahead. He gathered his belongings together and dressed himself in his new clothes carefully sheathing his dagger within his belt; he hoped he wouldn?t have to use it.

Once he had everything he needed he descended the stairs back down into the tavern. The room had been cleaned after last night?s festivities. It was almost empty but for several farmers who had come to the tavern for a hearty breakfast.

?Ho, Thoran!? Boomed Jolaf - the barkeeper, ?Ready for your adventure?? He asked with smile on his rosy face.
?Well?? Thoran replied uncertainly, ?I am as ready now as I ever will be.?
Jolaf laughed, ?So what can I get you for breakfast??

Thoran decided to eat a full breakfast; he sat down in a quiet corner and began to eat his food in peace. It tasted wonderful; the last meal of Tornel that he would eat, he suspected, for a very long time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 06:15:35 pm by Zephyrus »

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 06:09:46 pm »
Dorian enjoyed his time at the party, but his conversation with the mysterious woman kept nagging at his thoughts. He had occasionally looked over at Thoran, busy downing ale and exchanging stories with strangers. Dorian had danced with the ladies early when the party had started, but as the party progressed, Dorian had kept more to himslef, deep in thought. Finally, he went home early.

As he stumbled through the dark street toward his small home, he had second thoughts about leaving. \'I should have stayed with Thoran,\' he thought, \'he was probably waiting for me to come to him all evening.\' Dorian shrugged, \'or he was too drunk to care...\'

He stumbled through the door of his single story home, it was really nothing more than a shack. It had two rooms and a small closet. But Dorian didn\'t care, it was all he needed. He had a small workshop out back where he worked on his hobbies. Mostly fletching and some woodcarving. Dorian loved wood. He never had an interest in steel, and rarely associated with blacksmiths. He preferred to watch the woodcarvers when he was young. Later, he convinced old Silverthorn to teach him woodcarving. He was not great at it, but he enjoyed it and had spent many hours in his workshop carving figurines out of the soft wood from manlos trees.

Dorian quickly fell asleep on his mat, a deep dreamless sleep. Dorian rarely had dreams. He always wondered what it would be like to dream every night. Dreams were a special treat for him when he drempt them.

The next morning, he woke up early. He gathered his things, filled his quiver with arrows, and slung his bow across his back. Dorian walked briskly to the Merry Megaras to see if Thoran was ready, smiling and nodding to a few passerbys. Dorian entered the doors and found Thoran finishing up his breakfast. \"Good morning, Thoran. Are you ready for this?\" Thoran nodded. Dorian took a deep breath, he had to tell Thoran about his conversation last night. When he woke up, he decided that he would like to search for his father. But he also decided that if Thoran wanted otherwise, he would drop it. He had lived nearly 25 years without knowing his father already.

Dorian sat down across from Thoran and his story spilled out faster than he intended...

Zephyrus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 04:28:39 am »
Thoran had just done eating his meal when Dorian arrived at the tavern and told Thoran of last night?s events. Stealthy women running across rooftops and hiding in shadows was never a good sign. Even so?

Thoran thought of his own father, he had been a good man; a good father and a good husband who had been taken from them by a fatal accident. He had been loved and admired by all of Tornel, and in return he had devoted much of his life into making the town what it was today. Thoran would have given anything to have him back; he had taught Thoran much ? how to be noble, honest and true to his word.

Thoran thought of his friend; Dorian had never had a father figure - no one to teach him of the world and no one to pick up the pieces when it all went wrong.

Thoran could sympathise with his friend ?If I was Dorian? Thoran thought to himself, ?and there was the vaguest chance that I might have father out there, somewhere? I would want to know the truth at least??

Thoran smiled at his friend; ?Tyriam is a city, right??
?I think so?? answered a slightly confused Dorian, ?why??
?I have never seen a city before.? He said, his eyes wandering as if lost in a dream, he blinked. ?Very well my friend; to Tyriam, let us find your father?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 06:18:28 am by Zephyrus »