Author Topic: [RP] The Cursed Bard  (Read 715 times)

Tadano Hitoshi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
[RP] The Cursed Bard
« on: July 27, 2009, 10:45:36 am »

Eluran sat before Jirage in the pagoda on the temple green, contentedly listening to the beautiful melody he played upon his pipes. Jirage was a truly gifted musician and his music took the Dermorian lass away on fantastic voyages, far from the toil of work and overbearing parents. She swore that if her father didn`t relent then she would elope with the young Ylian piper. They would travel to every level of Yliakum that they could, spreading joy with his music.
But such was not to be...Eluran`s beauty attracted a big Diabolo troublemaker who proceeded to mock the bard Jirage, who did his best to stand up for himself and his fair lady...and eventually their harasser departed, swearing it was not the end.

Days later...

(17:14:34) Jirage plays a sweet melody on his pipes for his beloved
(17:15:12) Jirage smiles, but the smile drops when he spots the dark, cloaked figure beyond the railing of the gazebo
(17:15:28) Eluran jumps back in surprise
(17:15:44) Jirage frowns at the burned face...and the smell
(17:15:58) Jirage says: Who- who are you, sir?
(17:16:21) ROGUE coughs, then calls you "That music I just heard.. Was that you ? "
(17:16:46) Jirage holds up his gilt pan pipes, "Yes. Yes it was."
(17:17:01) Jirage says: I am Jirage Delertte, bard.
(17:17:29) Eluran holds Jirage`s arm and watches the burned figure with wide eyes
(17:18:06) ROGUE approaches the gazebo looking downward. The smell of burnt hair and flesh permeates the air. "Sir May I read a little poem I wrote ? "
(17:18:18) ROGUE says: "I'de love for you to hear it"
(17:18:36) Jirage can`t help but pull a face and waves his hand in front of his face to clear the smell
(17:18:45) Jirage says: If- if you really must...yes.
(17:19:22) Eluran looks from the cloaked individual to Jirage and back to the scroll in the figure`s hand
(17:19:37) ROGUE says: "Oh sir ! I've worked for so long on this poem. It would fill my heart with such joy to share it. "
(17:20:06) Jirage summons a smile unwillingly, "Ah, well....another artist, yes...I`ll, ah, I`ll listen."
(17:20:56) ROGUE approaches the side of the gazebo and holds up the scroll with his left hand. His hand is wounded and is adorned with two black rings with purple crystals.
(17:21:32) Jirage stifles a cough
(17:21:39) Eluran turns her head away
(17:22:11) ROGUE clears his throat as he clumsily shakes the scroll open. The scroll appears to be made from some sort of hide. There appears to be a naturally formed glyph on the hide too.
(17:22:54) Jirage looks from the burned intruder to the scroll of skin and grimaces
(17:23:48) ROGUE says: "With the breaking of this seal, I bind thee to the crystal. Ye shall walk the underworld, night and day for all thy life. A dark candle streaked with red..."
(17:24:45) Jirage frowns deeply and mutters, "What manner of poetry is this?!"
(17:24:55) Eluran gasps and holds Jirage
(17:25:14) ROGUE says: "...shall mark thy time should ye stray. Woe and gloom to he who fails to return by dawn of day..."
(17:25:59) Jirage winces and grabs the gazebo railing behind him
(17:26:11) ROGUE says: "...May his lips be sliced and sewn shut..."
(17:26:26) Eluran looks from the foul, burn-faced intruder to her pained love
(17:26:28) ROGUE says: "...May his ears be filled with screeches..."
(17:26:48) ROGUE's voice escalates
(17:26:57) Jirage touches his mouth and ears, wincing in pain
(17:27:07) ROGUE says: "...May his tongue turn black and fall off. May his nose sense death and decay..."
(17:27:29) Jirage drops to a knee
(17:27:50) Eluran says: Jirage? Jirage!
(17:28:06) ROGUE's voice become louder to the point of shouting
(17:28:24) ROGUE says: "...May his gut be filled with live rats..."
(17:28:38) Jirage grits his teeth and doubles over
(17:28:41) ROGUE says: "...May his flesh be riddled with sores. May his bones splinter and snap..."
(17:28:55) Eluran begins to weep, "Make it stop...make it stop!"
(17:29:15) ROGUE says: "...May his loved ones witness his plight..."
(17:29:37) Jirage collapses prone onto the gazebo floor, his face a rictus of pain
(17:29:42) ROGUE holds out his hands and cries out , "...For this, to Dakkru I pray!"
(17:30:07) Jirage shouts: Aaaarrrgghhhh!
(17:30:26) Jirage dies, his body rapidly disappearing
(17:30:33) >Eluran Kengas stands up.
(17:30:39) Eluran shouts: Nooooo!
Eluran watched in horror as her beloved died before her, his body born to Dakkru`s Realm by the fell curse. Fending off the foul, cloaked individual`s advances she eventually fled, seeking aid...

Tadano Hitoshi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: [RP] The Cursed Bard
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:20:55 am »
After a days of wandering the city distraught, praying that Jirage had made it back through Dakkru`s realm...and constantly throwing a glance over her shoulder lest the diabolic taunter return, Eluran finally ventured to the Iron Temple seeking aid...

(23:30:50) Eluran says: Please...please...you must help me!
(23:31:23) Giroum removes his pipe from his mouth and looks at the dermorian girl in surprise “Why, my dear, what troubles you?â€
(23:31:52) Eluran says: It is my love, Jirage, he has been murdered!
(23:32:36) Giroum gasps, "Have you not sought the aid of the city guard?"
(23:33:36) Eluran weeps and shakes her head, "I fear they will be unable to help. My poor Jirage...he...he was banished, cursed I believe...sent by dark magic to the Death Realm!
Giroum, determining that it would be more than one aging lemur could handle, summoned his pet yulbar `Rectitude` and thus word was sent to Zephan Cystennin, the brave dermorian having aided Giroum numerous times in the past. But Zephan and Calluna were newly wed, and Giroum was loath to impose upon their honeymoon...
The couple arrived and Eluran proceeded to explain that she and her beloved had been in the gazebo when they had been approached by a hideously burned diaboli who had read a curse from a scroll of cured leather or skin, its surface marked strangely.
(00:20:57) Zephan's eyes are wide now. "Can you remember more of the... assailant? What did he say?"
(00:22:22) Eluran swallows deeply and tries to recall, "With the breaking of this seal I bind thee to the crystal...something-or-other will mark they time...woe and gloom to he who should not return by dawn of day....?"
(00:23:00) Eluran says: Lastly he said "For this, to Dakkru I pray".
(00:23:25) Zephan's face takes on an indescribable expression, a cross between shock and extreme unease.
(00:23:51) Eluran's frown lifts as something comes back to her, "Rings!"
(00:23:56) Zephan says: Rings?
(00:24:24) Eluran nods quickly, "He had two rings....with purple gems, I think, both on his left hand."
(00:24:48) Giroum removes his pipe from his mouth, "Dark Way rings, perhaps?"
(00:25:30) Zephan says: Sounds like it.

(00:29:59) Giroum nods, "I have never heard of anything like this. Zephan, Calluna...can you do what is possible to find the culprit? I will consult the archives....see what I can discover about this scroll and its curse."
(00:30:28) Zephan lets his hand fall to his side, and he frowns, looking to Giroum. "Aye, we'll do what we can..."
(00:30:54) Giroum says: Thank you.
(00:31:33) Calluna grits her teeth as Zephan speaks, but still says nothing.
(00:31:34) Eluran bows deeply to Calluna and Zephan, "The life of my beloved is in your hands. I will do anything to get him back!"
(00:32:18) Calluna turns slowly to Eluran, and speaks in a low, controlled tone. "Yes. I know -exactly- how you feel."
(00:32:23) Zephan nods gravely to Eluran, his brow creasing. He puts a tentative hand on Calluna's shoulder. "Dearest... maybe we should have a look around the gazebo."

Thus the couple set off to the gazebo and the lemur to the archives...leaving Eluran in the peace of the Iron Temple, Sharven watching over her. But, as night fell, she could not stay put. Anxiety got the better of her and she set out into the streets once more.

Jirage, finally having found his way through the shadowy realm of death, stood before a shimmering portal, framed by the gaping maw of a huge helmeted head. It was no less disturbing than the rest of this land but, having found no other exit, he could but try this one. Gingerly reaching out, he put one hand through and soon his body followed...
And the next thing he knew he was kneeling on the cobblestones of Hydlaa, gone was the fetid odour of the Death Realm, replaced by the warm air of a summer`s night. His body was wracked with pain but that pain told him that he was alive. He had made it back!
And as he raised his head he spotted the most beautiful sight...Eluran.
(00:59:00) Jirage runs to embrace the dermorian girl
(00:59:18) Eluran hugs Jirage but stares at his shaken and weakened appearance
(00:59:29) Eluran says: Come with me, come quickly!
(01:00:51) Eluran shouts: Zephan! Calluna!
(01:03:05) Eluran says: I found him!
(01:03:14) Jirage shivers, staring about in shock
(01:03:16) Zephan comes up holding Calluna's hand firmly, and his eyes widen as he recognizes the bard. "Hey..."
(01:04:14) Jirage stares up at the elves, wide-eyed
(01:04:42) Calluna says: We should get him somewhere warm... and somewhere we can spoon sweet tea into him...
(01:04:51) Jirage says: I`m...I`m really back?
(01:05:14) Eluran nods at Calluna`s suggestion
(01:05:37) Zephan nods. "It appears you are, sir. And let's help him up to Kada-El's..."
(01:05:48) Zephan offers an arm to support Jirage.
(01:06:02) Jirage takes Zephan`s arm

Soon the bard was sat upon a warm fur before the roaring fire of the tavern...

Jirage told the story once more, remembering a little more than his love had...
 (01:19:10) Jirage says: With the breaking of this seal, I bind thee to the crystal...ye shall walk the underworld...a dark candle streaked with red shall park they time...woe and gloom to he who fails to return by dawn of day...
(01:19:30) Jirage says: ...the rest was...hideous....I shall not speak of it.
 (01:20:14) Zephan says: Such strange words...
(01:21:05) Eluran says: But...you`re back. You made it back...
(01:21:07) Eluran beams
(01:21:29) Jirage frowns and looks from Eluran to Zephan, "yes..."
(01:23:59) Zephan mumbles the last line, "Woe to he who does not return by dawn of day... but you've returned at this time... so..."
(01:26:47) Zephan has an expression on his face that seems to say he feels something is off.
(01:30:35) Zephan peers to Calluna, asking for help. "Why do I have a bad feeling about this?"
(01:31:55) Calluna steeples her fingers, bringing them to her lips and thinking.
(01:32:32) Eluran looks up to Zephan and Calluna, "What`s wrong? What do you think is wrong?"
(01:33:12) Zephan says: The um, part that goes "woe and gloom to he who does not return by dawn of day".
(01:33:58) Calluna says: A dark candle streaked with red... that would be some sort of clock, marking out the time... and no... it said "Woe and gloom to he who FAILS to return...." etc.
(01:34:14) Zephan says: Fails to return where, I wonder.

With the tavern filling up with other citizens the four returned to the temple where its quiet might help them think better...
The curse stated that unless Jirage returned by dawn he would be doomed - which they surmised to mean True Death - and that his fate was bound to the crystal...but which one? The Azure Sun, or the Dark Crystal of the Death Realm?
It became apparent that Jirage could not remain in Yliakum when dawn broke...
(01:39:22) Jirage says: I have to go back....there?!
(01:40:50) Zephan says: How many hours have passed? It's past midnight now I'm aware... how long till dawn?
(01:41:47) Jirage chews his lip, "Not long, I fear."
(01:42:23) Zephan feels his stomach churning. He glances to Eluran. "Eluran... you understand, yes?"
(01:42:51) Eluran stares from Jirage to Calluna to Zephan and finally, slowly, nods
(01:43:09) Zephan takes a small potion from his pack, and sighs. "I keep this for emergencies, if ever I need to... deliberately visit Dakkru, and painlessly."
(01:45:05) Eluran says: I`ll go with you!
(01:45:47) Jirage shakes his head defiantly, "No!"
(01:45:50) Calluna gently grasps Eluran's wrist. "That might not be a wise course of action. We still do not know how to break this curse..."
(01:45:52) Zephan steps beside Calluna to take her hand.
(01:46:03) Jirage nods at Calluna`s words
(01:46:24) Zephan says: You need to be strong for your love, alright?
(01:46:27) Calluna says: If you follow him, you may end up suffering a True Death.
(01:46:39) Zephan peers intently at Eluran.
(01:46:40) Eluran clenches her fists and nods
(01:47:00) Zephan says: Don't worry, we will help you.
(01:47:12) Jirage says: Please, please do what you can to find that diaboli.
(01:47:25) Zephan nods firmly. "We'll be on our guard."
(01:47:30) Calluna lifts Eluran's hand, carefully prising it open. She places a finger directly in the centre. "Look."
(01:47:38) Jirage says: I will try to return again soon...and pray it is night.
(01:47:48) Eluran lets Calluna take her hand
(01:48:13) Calluna says: Look... right there. Do you see it?
(01:48:34) Eluran frowns at her hand, "What? I don`t see anything but my hand...?"
(01:49:28) Calluna tilts her head up to peer at Eluran for a moment, then looks back down at her hand. "I do. I see two things. I see your man's strength, and I see his heart. YOU hold both. Keep them safe for him. That is your task. Your strength is his, and his yours."
(01:50:00) Calluna lifts Zephan's hand, as if to prove her point. "And here is ours."
(01:50:06) Eluran manages a brave yet small smile
(01:50:12) Zephan smiles quietly at Calluna's words.
(01:50:44) Jirage smiles and takes Eluran`s hand, pulling her into an embrace and kiss.
(01:51:32) Zephan clasps Calluna's hand tightly, his eyes shimmering when he looks at her.
(01:52:03) Calluna steps back, turning around to give the others a little privacy.
(01:52:05) Jirage uncorks the small vial as he kisses his love,...and when their lips part, her eyes still shut, he drinks from the bottle and his eyes roll back.
(01:52:24) Zephan closes his eyes.
(01:52:53) Zephan opens them again as Jirage disappears.
(01:53:03) Eluran keeps her eyes closed for a long time, shedding a single tear.
(01:53:54) Eluran takes a deep breath and opens her eyes, looking at the empty pew
(01:55:18) Zephan smiles at Eluran, a little sadly, but also encouragingly. "We're assured then he will be back. Now we have to find out how to break this curse."
(01:55:30) Eluran nods determinedly
(01:57:24) Calluna says: I'm sure we will, somehow. Until then... you have rivers of strength that even you don't know about. Keep that in mind.
(01:57:44) Eluran nods again

And so, the hunt for the diaboli was on!

Zephan

• Traveller
  • Got freedom to choose, better make the right move
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 09:56:45 am »
Sitting out by the lake near Gugrontid, Zephan is writing a journal entry in his notepad while Calluna peeks over his shoulder. Her presence helps settle him somewhat, and he is able to place the first few words on paper.

Let me recount in summary the events of the past few days.

First off, where this started. My wife Calluna and I were summoned to the Temple by Giroum, to come to the aid of the lady Eluran, who had lost her love, the bard Jirage, to a curse uttered by a mysterious Diaboli.

After having figured out what the words on the cursed scroll meant, and Jirage 'safely' back in Dakkru's realm... Calluna and I didn't really know where to begin our search. I even asked the help of a new friend, a young Dermorian adventurer named Anibela Pamober, to look for the Diaboli. From the description Eluran and Jirage had given us, the Diaboli was cloaked and had two iron rings with purple crystals on them - Dark Way rings - on his left hand. I hoped this was going to be enough for Anibela to go by.

In the meantime, Calluna had some training to do. We'd been going to Grimal for her first lessons in the use of medium armor, and decided to head to Kada-El's. There we found Anibela speaking to Rigwyn, a Diaboli acquaintance who I hadn't seen in quite some time... I even bought a book from him once, of a story he'd told in the same tavern. We bought drinks, exchanged friendly chatter, when I suddenly realized he wore two rings on his left hand.

It was then Rigwyn seemed to be making a conscious effort to hide his hand from our view. This in spite of the fact Anibela was doing her best to distract him with small talk, and Calluna also trying to catch a glimpse of his jewelry.

It wasn't long before we had to part ways for the day. Though we failed to actually confirm that day that he was indeed wearing two Dark Way rings, I seemed to remember seeing Rigwyn wear those habitually. It gave me a sinking feeling deep inside. I generally do not take well to finding out that a person is not all that he seems to be.

Weary after recounting the events, Zephan puts away his writing materials, and heads off with Calluna to find a place to set their sleeping fur.

The next day finds Zephan and Calluna sitting together in the Hydlaa Plaza, at the fountain underneath the statue of Laanx. Soon enough, Giroum sees them there, and after exchanging greetings, they head to the Temple to discuss...

(22:11:32) Zephan says: About our suspect...
    (22:12:03) Giroum takes out and lights his pipe.
    (22:12:57) Zephan frowns deeply. "A Diaboli I've been acquainted with for a while... well, since I was new to Hydlaa anyway. Goes by the name Rigwyn."
    (22:13:26) Giroum puffs on his pipe, "I can`t say I know the name...but it was he who cursed Jirage?"
    (22:13:32) Calluna says: We saw him the other day. He seemed to be rather keen to hide his left hand.
    (22:13:43) Calluna says: We're not entirely sure, Sir.
    (22:14:37) Giroum says: I see...hiding rings, perhaps.
    (22:15:00) Zephan nods, frowning. "I asked the help of the young Dermorian you met recently, the one named Anibela. It was she who found him."
    (22:15:43) Giroum says: Ah, yes, I remember young Anibela. Hmm..and you confronted this Rigwyn?
    (22:16:13) Calluna says: I -did- see what looked like a pair of matching rings on his hand, but I didn't get a long enough look at them to be certain they really matched. He took one off as we were walking through Hydlaa.
    (22:16:34) Zephan says: And no, no confrontation. We wanted to be sure...
    (22:17:06) Calluna says: He seemed rather uncomfortable at some of the topics of conversation we brought up, though...
    (22:17:14) Giroum nods, smoke coming fron his pipe, "Most wise...and he does appear to be the culprit....how do you think we should proceed?"
    (22:18:23) Zephan says: Informing the guards might alert him and frustrate our efforts, I think unfortunately.
    (22:19:07) Giroum nods, "Yes. It might not be best for Eluran and Jirage...perhaps he could somehow be....forced....to give up the scroll?"
    (22:19:21) Zephan says: We've got to get it from him somehow, yes...
    (22:19:34) Zephan says: Is he still pursuing Eluran?
    (22:19:51) Giroum says: I have not seen her since we last met her. I hope not.
    (22:20:41) Calluna ponders for a moment. "Perhaps someone should stay with her, to make sure?"
    (22:21:07) Zephan raises a brow. "That's an idea..."
    (22:21:32) Giroum says: I will again suggest that she stay here in the temple, perhaps Menlil and Sharven can keep an eye on her....or do you have another idea?
    (22:22:35) Calluna says: Well, I was thinking that perhaps something more discreet might be in order. A familiar of some kind, belonging to one of us.
    (22:22:55) Calluna says: That would give us an excuse to randomly check in with her.
    (22:23:07) Giroum's eyebrows rise, "Ah! Most original!"
    (22:23:48) Calluna says: It also gives her a method of sending us a message, should anything happen while we are not there.
    (22:23:51) Zephan says: Pootle could probably be of some help, then...
    (22:23:58) Giroum says: Pootle?
    (22:24:06) Zephan says: Erm, that's my groffel.
    (22:24:50) Giroum says: Ah, I see. Well, if you don`t mind...yes. That sounds like a fine plan.
    (22:25:06) Calluna chuckles softly. "The name is something my mother used to say. Whenever we were wandering aimlessly, she'd tell us not to pootle around so much, but to find something to do..."
    (22:25:23) Zephan smiles at Calluna. "Aye, the name goes way back."
    (22:25:26) Giroum smiles
    (22:25:52) Zephan says: This will give Pootle something to do other than... pootle.
    (22:26:10) Giroum chuckles and adjusts his pipe
    (22:26:54) Giroum says: Can you leave Pootle here, Menlil can...erm...introduce them? Or do you think it best we meet Eluran?
    (22:27:28) Zephan says: Pootle doesn't like Ynnwn very much... we'd probably be safe with Eluran.
    (22:28:02) Giroum says: I see. Let us hope she shows up...soon.

And sure enough...

(22:37:08) >Eluran Kengas greets everyone.
    (22:37:15) >Giroum Duphra greets Eluran Kengas.
    (22:37:20) >Zephan Cystennin greets Eluran Kengas.
    (22:38:11) Eluran says: Hello everyone! *pant* I`ve been searching the city...no sign of Jirage but, don`t worry....I`m okay.
    (22:38:16) Eluran smiles uneasily
    (22:38:52) Zephan smiles at Eluran, then his expression returns to seriousness. "That Diaboli hasn't been bothering you lately, has he?"
    (22:39:19) Eluran shakes her head, "Praise Laanx, I haven`t seen him for some time now."
    (22:39:50) Eluran then looks to Zephan and Calluna, "Have you seen him?!"
    (22:40:14) Zephan frowns, his expression flatenning. "We might have, but we're not sure yet if it is him."
    (22:40:34) Zephan says: Calluna here had an idea...
    (22:40:43) Eluran nods, her breathing quickened, but doen`t speak
    (22:40:47) Zephan tilts his head towards Calluna.
    (22:41:21) Calluna says: We thought that you might like a companion...
    (22:41:58) Calluna says: That is, if you would prefer not to remain in the temple.
    (22:42:27) Eluran looks about the vast hall, "Erm...it`s a little...cold...."
    (22:42:39) Eluran looks apologetically at Giroum
    (22:42:52) Calluna says: Well, blankets and suchlike can easily be brought. But anyway...
    (22:42:54) Giroum coughs on his smoking pipe
    (22:43:16) Eluran says: You said a ...companion?
    (22:43:30) Calluna says: If you'd prefer not to remain here, I thought it might be easier on you if we lent you Zephan's Groffel.
    (22:43:51) Eluran says: A groffel?! *smile* I`ve heard of them but never seen one!
    (22:43:55) Zephan nods. "It's probably best if I call on her while we're outside, I don't want to risk her making any mess inside the temple."
    (22:44:05) Calluna says: That way, we have a reason to randomly check in with you, and if something happens, you can send her back to Zephan with a message.
    (22:44:28) Eluran says: That sounds wonderful! Thank you!
    (22:44:32) Eluran smiles
    (22:44:47) Zephan says: Shall we get you properly introduced?
    (22:44:57) Eluran nods enthusiastically
    (22:45:56) Zephan takes something from his pocket which looks like a modified piece of panpipe, and he raises it to his lips. It seems to make no sound, but soon a flapping of wings is heard.
    (22:46:11) >Eluran Kengas takes a seat.
    (22:46:31) Pootle chirps and regards the surrounding tall people with a curious glance.
    (22:46:47) Eluran kneels down before Pootle and looks at the groffel, a smile spreading across her face despite herself
    (22:47:03) Eluran says: She`s so cute!
    (22:47:03) Zephan says: Eluran, this is Pootle... and Pootle, meet Eluran.
    (22:47:10) >Eluran Kengas greets Pootle.
    (22:47:40) Pootle looks up, her glance darts from Zephan to Eluran, and she squeaks a greeting.
    (22:48:25) Calluna chuckles warmly. "Yes... meet my only real competition for Zephan's attention" she says, grinning.
    (22:48:51) Eluran looks up from Pootle to Zephan and Calluna, "hehe. You`re okay with him looking after me for a while?"
    (22:49:14) Zephan chuckles. "Aye, she's quite intelligent and alert, and quick at sending messages."
    (22:49:53) Eluran says: She sounds perfect!
    (22:50:17) Zephan nods. "And ehm, she likes fish."
    (22:50:37) Pootle chirps in agreement.
    (22:50:38) Eluran nods attentively, "I`ll remember that."
    (22:50:42) Calluna looks down at Pootle, and smiles. "Pootle... you need to look after Eluran, alright? If she gives you a message, come straight to Zephan or I with it... and if there's danger, you know what to do... but make sure to come and tell us, too"
    (22:52:01) Pootle gives Calluna an attentive stare, and chirps her understanding loudly.
    (22:52:22) Eluran says: Erm...how often does she need feeding?
    (22:52:44) Zephan says: She often goes to catch her own food, but she appreciates treats at least once a day.
    (22:52:52) Eluran nods
    (22:54:07) >Eluran Kengas stands up.
    (22:54:18) Eluran says: Okay. I promise to take good care of her.
    (22:54:36) Zephan smiles. "No problem, I am sure you will."
    (22:55:02) Zephan glances from Giroum back to Eluran. "Giroum has told us that destroying the scroll will break the curse..."
    (22:55:40) Eluran says: Oh, that`s wonderful!....but we just need to get it from...him..still, right?
    (22:55:45) Eluran's face drops a little
    (22:56:29) Zephan nods gravely. "Well do our best to do so as soon as possible."
    (22:56:33) Calluna says: We do, yes... but we are working on a way to do just that.
    (22:56:50) Giroum nods, "We have a good idea who it is now. It is just a matter of time."
    (22:57:01) Eluran chews her lip but nods
    (22:57:48) Zephan says: If he comes to bother you again... send word to us immediately.
    (22:58:15) Eluran says: I will! I`ll stay in the city anyway. Where there are plenty of people.
    (22:58:29) Calluna nods "That's likely the best idea, yes"
    (22:59:13) Eluran says: I can`t thank you enough...honestly.
    (22:59:29) >Eluran Kengas makes a bow.
    (23:00:10) Calluna smiles, inclining her head.
    (23:00:29) Zephan says: We'll do what we can.
    (23:00:42) Eluran says: I`ll send Pootle if anything happens. Thank you....I`d best go buy some fish.
    (23:01:25) Zephan smiles. "Alright... don't let her put on too much weight, now..."
    (23:01:34) Eluran smiles, "I won`t."
    (23:01:37) >Eluran Kengas waves.

After they part ways, Zephan adds this entry to his journal:

Calluna and I returned to Giroum and Eluran with the news of our suspect. Though we still had little to go on, it seemed to Giroum we were on the right track. As a precaution to make sure Eluran stayed safe, Calluna had the idea to leave a familiar with her to contact us in case there was any trouble. My groffel Pootle was then given that mission to stay with Eluran. I trust she will do well.

Our next task, then, is to recover the scroll, to ultimately destroy it and hopefully, break the curse...
~ Zephan Cystennin, Dermorian Huntsman ~

"Think with your brain and not with your blades."

Zephan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:01:44 am »
Zephan adds a new entry to his journal, dated a few days after his last one. He writes this in his hurried but legible hand:

Another opportunity with Rigwyn came by. We'd invited him to the Stonehead Tavern, together with Anibela. On our way there, Calluna noticed Rigwyn remove something from his left hand, and called his attention, asking if his ring had gotten too tight. Although he seemed uncomfortable, Rigwyn produced a ring from his sack when he was asked what he'd dropped in it - but it was a ring of the summoner, not a Dark Way ring he showed us.

Upon reaching the Stonehead, we thought to compare jewelry while enjoying our meals, to get Rigwyn to reveal his rings. Anibela had a Dark Way ring of her own... Rigwyn mentioned that it matches his and showed his left hand to reveal only one ring. So he'd more than likely removed the other ring while we were on our way to Gugrontid.

Our efforts were starting to look futile, although our dropped hints and references to what happened to Jirage were causing Rigwyn some unease. It was then that Anibela noticed part of a scroll sticking out of his pocket, and pinched it from him to take a look. Rigwyn reacted, snatching the scroll back, saying it was a letter from his mother. Anibela commented that it was a strange letter... which caught Calluna's and my attention.

When Rigwyn rose from the table to relieve himself, Anibela once again nabbed the scroll from his pocket and handed it to me. The words of the curse leaped out from the parchment, and it made me sick to my stomach just reading them. I pocketed the scroll at once, just as Rigwyn made his return into the tavern.

My clever wife decided to switch the scroll with a decoy, a blank piece of parchment. She pretended to be reading it with interest, causing Rigwyn to grab it back and leave the tavern in agitation.

Before leaving Gugrontid, I cautioned Anibela to steer clear of Rigwyn until we'd managed to tie up the loose ends, so to speak.

So, we have achieved our objective. The scroll is in our hands; I only hope we can get it to Giroum and save Jirage before Rigwyn finds out what we've done...

Tadano Hitoshi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:00:02 am »
Giroum had just finished packing his pipe and lighting it when the two elves, Zephan and Calluna arrived. They had told him that they would be returning to their hometown for some time, and so their arrival surprised him somewhat. He listened intently as they explained how they, with Anibela`s aid, had ingeniously taken the scroll from the diaboli. The lemur devotee of Laanx carefully examined the scroll of leather, and the foul curse inscribed upon it, not daring to pronounce the words.
The two told him that they feared Rigwyn would seek revenge, but assured him that they would find a way to deal with it...
(00:56:22) Zephan says: And I'm hoping to handle the brunt of the perpetrator's anger when he does find out the scroll is no longer with him.
(00:56:27) Calluna smiles slightly, and inclines her head. "Thankyou..."
(00:57:00) Giroum says: Indeed it might be a blessing that you are leaving the Dome for a while.
(00:58:10) Calluna says: Mm. I will remain in our home village in relative safety. Zephan will return here, so there are no retaliations against those who wouldn't be able to withstand the Diaboli's attacking them.
(00:59:20) Giroum nods and smiles, "I have faith that you can handle him...but let`s hope it doesn`t come to that. I cannot thank you enough...."
(00:59:43) Zephan nods, frowning. "There will be a peaceful solution, I am hoping."
(01:00:06) Giroum turns the scroll over in his hands, "Indeed. For now...perhaps it`s time this was destroyed."
(01:03:50) Giroum looks to the brazier by Sharven and stands
(01:05:05) Giroum holds the scroll over the magical fire until it catches fire, watches it burn in his hand and drops it into the brazier as it is devoured by the fire.
(01:05:12) Zephan follows with Calluna, standing close by to watch.
(01:05:51) Calluna says: I have the uneasy feeling that destroying it won't break the curse.... I don't know why... just... hmmm
(01:06:14) Giroum watches the smoke rise and turns to Zephan, "We can only hope that it has worked....perhaps we should tell Eluran? Could you call to....Pootles?"
(01:06:37) Zephan says: Aye, Pootle. There's only one of her.
(01:06:51) Giroum says: Ah, yes. Pootle.
(01:07:05) Zephan grins good-naturedly and takes the modified whistle from his pocket, raising it to his lips.
(01:07:56) Pootle flutters in, chirping as she lands, and gives everyone an expectant look.
(01:08:14) Giroum says: Groffles...such curious creatures.
(01:08:53) Zephan says: She ought to bring Eluran back here, then?
(01:09:06) Giroum says: Let`s hope she`s on her way, yes.
(01:09:34) Zephan nods, and kneels to whisper instructons to Pootle before sending her flying off again.
(01:09:47) Pootle chitters, before taking off.

And in no time Eluran came, out of breath but hot on the heels of the swift groffle. They quickly explained, to her delight, that they had acquired and destroyed the scroll...and with dawn approaching they just had to hope that Jirage could make it back from the Death Realm.
(01:19:09) Giroum takes out a scoop and collects the ashes of the curse scroll, "I`d best dispose of this carefully."
(01:19:41) Giroum says: If Jirage makes it back while I`m away....give him my regards.
(01:19:44) Zephan nods with understanding, his arm resting heavily around Calluna's shoulders.
(01:20:02) Giroum frowns, "Never have met him yet!" Giroum shakes his head and wanders off toward the well.

While Giroum left to safely dispose of the ash of the curse scroll, Jirage found his way back yet again from the Death Realm...

(02:00:11) Jirage says: You`re all here!
(02:00:14) Jirage smiles
(02:00:28) Jirage says: But...I fear I must be brief...dawn approaches!
(02:00:39) Zephan says: Hasn't it already come...?
(02:01:13) Jirage looks confused, "But...?"
(02:01:22) Jirage looks down at himself
(02:01:35) Eluran runs across to embrace Jirage
(02:01:59) Jirage says: I`m...not dead?
They explained about the scroll`s destruction and finally Eluran and Jirage were reunited.
(02:04:55) Zephan says: There are still loose ends to tie regarding Rigwyn... that's his name... when he discovers the scroll's been switched.
(02:05:09) Zephan glances to Calluna, then looks back at the pair.
(02:05:31) Jirage nods, and he chews his lip before looking to Eluran
(02:05:59) Jirage says: Actually, I think I might have an idea....something I was intending to do before all this happened...
(02:06:39) Jirage kneels and takes Eluran`s hand
(02:06:39) Zephan says: Aye, what's that?
02:07:27) Eluran puts her hand over her mouth, but a smile can be seen behind it
(02:07:31) Calluna beams, stepping closer to Zephan with a wistful, faraway look in her eyes as she reminisces.
(02:08:04) Jirage says: I was intending to do this in the gazebo...until we were rudely interrupted by this "Rigwyn" character....but at least now I can....
(02:08:15) Zephan smiles slowly, hugging Calluna a little closer to him.
(02:09:01) Jirage says: Eluran. You know I can only ever be a bard. It`s in my blood. I don`t know if I`ll ever be as good as my parents were...but I hope I will. I also hope you`ll be by my side.
(02:09:45) Jirage says: If you would become my wife, I would be most honoured.
(02:10:10) Eluran can`t help but giggle a little, before calming and answering.
(02:10:17) Eluran says: Yes.
(02:11:11) Jirage kisses Eluran`s hand and rises to embrace her, kissing her lips.
(02:11:13) >Jirage Delertte stands up.
(02:11:56) Zephan smiles. "Congratulations."
(02:12:18) Eluran smiles like never before
(02:12:22) Calluna beams sunnily at the pair. "Yes, Many congratualtions!"
(02:12:32) Jirage turns as red as a ruby and nods his thanks
(02:13:12) Jirage says: I have some relatives in Delving...toward the Wolf Bronze Doors....I think if we head there this Rigwyn should not be able to find us.
(02:13:32) Zephan says: That does sound like a good idea, yes.
Eluran gave the couple some linen handkerchiefs, all she could give in thanks. The two couples then said their goodbyes...
And the two newly weds, reunited at last, left Hydlaa behind to start a new life...

Rigwyn

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 02:58:56 pm »

I had a lot of fun participating in this event .. thanks again Tadano  -  you rock !     \\o//

Zephan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 04:04:12 pm »
((It wasn't over yet...  ;D here comes the epilogue.))

Zephan sits cross-legged on a pedestal, at the top of the stairs leading to the Temple of Laanx. He furrows his brow, tapping a stick of graphite against the paper of his journal notepad, before he finally begins to write a new entry after noting down the date.

Calluna and I found Giroum at the Temple, fortunately, and he destroyed the scroll, in the holy fire burning beside Sharven, before we called Eluran and Pootle in. Giroum went to dispose of the ashes, and Jirage returned at the break of dawn - surprised and happy to discover that the curse was broken. Jirage proposed marriage to Eluran right then and there, a truly happy moment. I am glad to say that they are together now and safe, somewhere far away from Hydlaa.

I realize things aren't over yet. Rigwyn is bound to discover that the scroll is no longer in his possession, and I know that we - Anibela, Calluna, and I - are at risk. I think I know what I must do... I hope I can bargain and make peace with him before any danger befalls us.

Zephan stares at the last page of his writing for quite a while. His course is clear now. But he wasn't going to do anything without taking a few precautions first... he calls his groffel back to him, and gives her instructions...

A little later, Zephan wanders around Hydlaa, somewhat aimlessly, and stops at the foot of the stairs heading to Kada-El's, near the Highwatch signpost... unaware that Rigwyn is waiting in the shadows.

(01:40:37) Zephan glances around, looking fairly deep in thought.
    (01:42:36) Rigwyn hides the dagger behind his back and proceeds... "Stickin yer nose in my business lately eh ? "
    (01:43:12) Zephan's posture straightens, and he frowns, glancing over his shoulder. "Thought I'd run into you again sooner or later."
    (01:44:12) Rigwyn frowns holding the dagger behind his back. "Ya know .. bad deeds have a way of making their way back. "
    (01:44:56) Zephan tilts his head. "Indeed they do. Depends on what you define as a 'bad' deed..."
    (01:45:31) Rigwyn says: "Bad as in stealing a historical document and replacing it with a scrap of paper"
    (01:45:45) Zephan says: Historical document? More like a curse.
    (01:46:06) Rigwyn says: "Curse ? Who ever said that was a curse .. or that curses are real for that matter"
    (01:46:23) Rigwyn says: "Tell me why this concerns you"
    (01:46:45) Rigwyn sneaks the dagger into his sack.
    (01:47:02) Zephan says: I was asked to help a young woman whose love was taken away from her...
    (01:47:30) Rigwyn says: "Taken away from her ? How so ?"
    (01:47:33) Zephan says: It matters not, now. He is free, and they are likely far away from here as we speak.
    (01:49:30) Rigwyn says: What a fool .. he was always free.
    (01:49:50) Zephan says: Ah, so you know what I speak of.
    (01:50:11) Rigwyn says: Let me guess, he read the scroll and got scared
    (01:50:46) Rigwyn says: Better yet .. He read the scroll, got scared and had a heart attack
    (01:51:06) Zephan says: We've been told quite a different story, which, out of respect, I don't wish to repeat in the open where people can hear.
    (01:51:51) Rigwyn speaks sternly, "Open your eyes. There is no such thing as a curse. And poetry , as bad as it may be does not cause a curse"
    (01:52:11) Rigwyn says: "The man is superstitious. And he seeks to blame someone"
    (01:52:58) Zephan sighs. "There is nothing that can be done about that now, they are no longer in the vicinity. But what if the authorities are told about this, eh?"
    (01:53:40) Rigwyn says: "If they are told that a man got scared by a story... and had a heart attack... and then killed himself every night out of fear ?"
    (01:53:48) Rigwyn says: "I think they would say that he was a fool"
    (01:54:06) Rigwyn says: That is , if he had the courage to take his own life.
    (01:54:38) Zephan shakes his head, watching people run past. "Hm, maybe we should talk over here."

They circle around the Red Crystal Den, to the ledge with a clear view of the Laanx Temple.

(01:56:38) Zephan glances in the direction of the temple, his eyes wandering up its points, then looks back to Rigwyn. "What they'd be told is that a certain Diaboli read the scroll and cursed him with, presumably, the true death, out of jealousy."
    (01:57:47) Rigwyn says: And I would argue that its merely superstition. Why are you telling me this ?
    (01:58:14) Zephan says: I'm telling you this because they would point to you.
    (01:58:32) Rigwyn says: They would believe such a childish story ?
    (01:59:44) Zephan sighs, rubbing his forehead. "You're telling me you weren't that Diaboli."
    (02:00:25) Rigwyn says: Im saying that if you stied to slander me you might get yourself into more trouble than you think.
    (02:01:01) Rigwyn says: Perhaps we could meet half way....
    (02:01:21) Zephan says: Indeed. I don't intend to slander anyone at all.
    (02:02:32) Rigwyn says: Another point.. Do you still have the scroll ?
    (02:02:47) Zephan shakes his head, frowning. "It has been destroyed."
    (02:02:55) Rigwyn says: Destroyed ? how ?
    (02:03:09) Zephan says: Burned.
    (02:03:26) Rigwyn laughs, "It seems that you have no evidence then. Just hearsay"
    (02:04:11) Zephan says: It isn't hearsay if it's come from the persons themselves. And I don't think you'll want to have to watch your back, and neither do we, eh?
    (02:04:44) Rigwyn says: So how do you propose we avoid having to watch our backs ?
    (02:05:31) Rigwyn says: "Its still not believable anyway . Such a silly claim would be dismissed. "
    (02:06:22) Zephan says: I suppose it might. But, you leave us alone, and we'll leave you alone. Just... this sort of thing really shouldn't happen again.
    (02:06:38) Zephan shakes his head again. "I really don't believe it."
    (02:07:41) Rigwyn looks Zephan over carefully and then looks him dead in the eye, "A truce ? fair enough"
    (02:07:55) Rigwyn holds out his left hand to shake
    (02:08:07) Zephan reaches for his hand, his expression grave. "I'm a man of my word."
    (02:08:48) Rigwyn smiles and pulls Zephan's hand while aiming his right fist at his face, "Well Im not !"
    (02:09:29) Zephan manages to dodge at the last minute, Rigwyn's fist zipping past his nose. He tries to use the momentum to swing Rigwyn in the direction his fist is going.
    (02:09:59) Rigwyn is thrown off balance slightly.
    (02:11:24) Zephan attempts to pull his hand free so he can point to one of the temple spikes.
    (02:11:47) Rigwyn turns and looks at the spike for a moment
    (02:12:22) Zephan says: You see why I chose this location? There is a groffel there, poised and ready to call the guards if you try anything funny. I suggest you stop before she actually does.
    (02:13:01) Rigwyn looks again and squints, "You set me up!"
    (02:13:15) Zephan sighs, "I'm a man of my word, I didn't say I was that stupid."
    (02:15:16) Rigwyn looks around and then spits at the ground, "Fine! But if you double cross me I'll make sure that both you and your lady friend suffer"
    (02:15:23) Zephan says: Look, I'm ready to just pretend this never happened. The last thing I'd wish for anyone is for them not to be able to live their lives in peace.
    (02:15:44) Zephan says: And yes, I'm quite aware of that.
    (02:16:06) Rigwyn grumbles, "Fine... no tricks then"
    (02:16:31) Rigwyn steps back, hands open
    (02:17:28) Zephan nods. "We might not trust each other, but I don't consider you an enemy." He shakes his head.
    (02:18:07) Zephan says: Life's far too hard for more of those...
    (02:18:46) Rigwyn nods, "Same here then... But I suggest ya dont believe every thing people tell ya. "
    (02:19:08) Zephan gives Rigwyn a somewhat pointed look. "Aye, you've illustrated that point quite well."
    (02:19:27) Rigwyn says: "That scroll was just a piece of hide with writing. The mind is a powerful thing"
    (02:19:50) Rigwyn says: "Belief has far more power than any glyph or sword"
    (02:20:00) Zephan says: So it is.
    (02:20:12) Rigwyn says: "The bard's belief is what killed him. Not the scroll"
    (02:20:50) Zephan says: Surely there can't be a belief without something to cause it, but that matter is done.
    (02:21:19) Rigwyn nods, "Suppose its possible the scroll had some power that Im unaware of"
    (02:21:43) Rigwyn says: "Suppose its possible that I have some power that Im unaware of."
    (02:21:54) Rigwyn says: "Its all a blur to me"
    (02:21:56) Zephan tilts his head. "Perhaps."
    (02:22:55) Rigwyn smirks and waves, "Farewell"
    (02:23:46) Zephan gives him a nod of farewell in return.
    (02:24:13) Rigwyn wanders off

Zephan watches Rigwyn walk away, before hopping off the ledge, and sprinting in the direction of the Temple. As his groffel flies down to meet him, the Dermorian feels as if a burden has been lifted from him and that things will be alright... for now.