Author Topic: New Build Guide  (Read 1774 times)

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
New Build Guide
« on: May 14, 2006, 11:53:52 pm »
I've created a new unified build guide, available on our CVS.  (using the new SF anon server)  It uses JavaScript and CSS to show system-specific information based on selection from a drop-down list.  This should make it much easier to use and maintain.  Link:

PlaneShift Compiling Guide

Please post any suggestions, comments, complaints, browser issues, etc. here.  It tested ok in FireFox, IE, Opera, and Konqueror.  IE incorrectly shows the multi-line boxes as full window width, because it's a piece of junk.  (works fine on the single line ones, though)  Mildly standard compliant browsers, however, should all show the shrink-to-fit style correctly.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 12:11:33 am by AryHann »

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

AryHann

• Veteran
  • WonderWoman
    • View Profile
Re: New Build Guide
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 12:18:02 am »
For WinCVS there was a really nice guide on how to set it up for making it work.
It would be great if such information could still be there, since a lot of problems are generated by the settings of WinCVS (and similarly TortoiseCVS which instead is available on the laanx page) and the information that was there before was not only verified but also distributed in a more "user readable" way.
Credits are missing.
I would specify which version of MySQL Laanx is currently using and which one is compatible with PS code.
Crystal Space is *not* a cross platform engine, it would be better to be addressed as 3D SDK.

For Windows user the easiest way of getting the art is not to go through the updater but to simply copy the data from the release version (which 99% of the people have) and never update through CVS those folders.
AryHann

http://www.reflex.lth.se/culture/annelov - Virtual Annelöv -
Engine Dep. - One of Talad's Angels - Aka ww & Ahrijani's Goddess

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:34:34 am »
Most of the text in there is just straight out of the old guides.  I only added a little new content here and there.  I'll be sure to add all that.

I have no idea what version of MySQL is running on Laanx... I think it's 4.something, but I have 5.0 listed down there.

The issues with Windows CVS configurations are the main ones.  That definitely needs some tweaking.

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 10:36:20 am »
Thanks for the great job  :thumbup:

I tested the generic Linux guide and have few comments about it.

1. Dates

1.1. PS date "2006-05-01 00:00:00 UTC" is not compatible with Laanx.

2. Compiling Cal3D

2.1. Many people with more recent versions of automake need to open cal3d/src/cal3d/Makefile.am and either comment out or remove the line with all_libraries = @all_libraries@. Without doing that cal3d won't build.

2.2. CS/cel/PS are all configured with the --enable-debug option, but not cal3d.

3. Compiling CS

3.1. Building libs is not necessary on Linux and jam -aq plugins cs-config is enough.

3.2. For one step at the time instructions I would still use the -q option: jam -aq plugins etc. Otherwise it will continue even if one of the plugins fails.

4. Compiling CEL

4.1. Same than CS, no need to build libs. Use jam -aq plugins cel-config instead.

5. Compiling Planeshift

5.1. The configure script doesn't know where to find CEL, so either do export CEL=/home/user/development/cel or tell it to the configure script on the command line ./configure --enable-debug --with-libcal3d=/home/user/development/cal3d --with-cel-prefix=/home/user/development/cel.

5.2. To build the server and tools, I would use jam -aq.

6. Running updater, pssetup, psclient, psserver

6.1 Somewhere it could mention more clearly that LD_LIBRARY_PATH, CRYSTAL and CEL must be set before running Planeshift. It is the most common mistake that people make.
PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken
Are the strongest resounding"

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 02:00:15 pm »
Ack, yeah, I put that date in before I realized annon was back

Cal3D part added.  It's not listed with debug, because there's really no need most of the time.

For the env vars, that was all rather interspersed throughout the origional guides.  It's not really that clear here.

For the building servers and tools part, I intentionally took out the -q.  Not everyone can build all the tools, so I'd rather it not stopped.  Doing "jam -aq client server" should be fine, though.

About building the libs:  Really?  Or, is it just that buiilding the plugins also builds the libs?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 02:08:20 pm by DaveG »

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 02:55:21 pm »
Quote from: DaveG
For the building servers and tools part, I intentionally took out the -q.  Not everyone can build all the tools, so I'd rather it not stopped.  Doing "jam -aq client server" should be fine, though.

You might be right on this because I usually use "jam -aq client server". "jam -aq" works currently, but might be broken again in the future.

About building the libs:  Really?  Or, is it just that buiilding the plugins also builds the libs?

Of course they are built together with plugins. It is just 4 characters less to type :P
PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken
Are the strongest resounding"

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 04:42:49 pm »
Quote from: Bereror

You might be right on this because I usually use "jam -aq client server". "jam -aq" works currently, but might be broken again in the future.
At this moment, the ase2spr tool doesn't build for GCC.  The tools group is most certainly not garunteed to compile.

Quote from: Bereror
Of course they are built together with plugins. It is just 4 characters less to type :P
Well, I'll leave it explict then.  ;)

wli34633

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:11:43 am »
I am trying to build the open source Planeshift on my Windows XP system and having some problems.

I followed the build guide step by step until I was trying to download the Planeshift source (on CVSWIn). Apparently, it cannot connect to the server (error message is "A connection attempt failed....")

Here is what I have done so far. I am running MSVC version 7.1.

- Set working directory to C:\development.
   - Installed CS Windows Libraries (cs-win32libs-0[1].99r0_021.exe).
   - Set Environment variables CRYSTAL and CEL.
   - Added “Include Files” reference and “Library Files” reference directories on MSVC.
   - Installed the cURL library.
   - Installed the WinCVS and TortoiseCVS client.
   - Installed MYSQL 5.0.
   - Downloaded Crystal Space (CS) source.
   - Downloaded Crystal Entity Layer (CEL) source.

Please help, thank you.

AryHann

• Veteran
  • WonderWoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 09:22:40 am »
For what you are describing, it seems that there is some problem with CVS with PS anonymous server.
It might be a temporary issue, try later.

PS: it is not necessary to install both WinCVS and TortoiseCVS client. Install just one of the two, the one you like most.
AryHann

http://www.reflex.lth.se/culture/annelov - Virtual Annelöv -
Engine Dep. - One of Talad's Angels - Aka ww & Ahrijani's Goddess

wli34633

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 10:01:47 am »
It has been a few days already and I am still having problem with the PS anonymous server. Can anybody tell me if there is another way to download the PS source? The link that I have been using is the following:

" :pserver:anonymous@planeshift.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/planeshift "

raptoravis

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 04:40:04 am »
Yes, I met with the exact same problem for quite long time(weeks at least)

I used TortoiseCVS, the messages are as follows: thanks

In L:\Crystal: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "checkout" "-P" "planeshift"
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@planeshift.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/planeshift

pserver protocol library is missing entry pointcvs [checkout aborted]: the :pserver: access method is not available on this system

Error, CVS operation failed

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
Re: New Build Guide - UI improvement
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 10:54:18 pm »
OKies. When copying and pasting lines of code from the guide the mouse has a tendency to hightligt the entire line, including the development directory path.  It would be nice if highlighting only highlighted the commands by default.