Author Topic: New updates are available . . !!  (Read 1432 times)

Thrud Grudthruster

• Traveller
    • View Profile
New updates are available . . !!
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:59:54 pm »
Greetings, all.

Upon logging in to the game, I just saw the 'new updates are available' message.

In a veritable neon-pink display of my complete and utter newbie-ism-ness, I thought I'd ask here what I should do.  Quit the game, run the Updater, then reload . . ?

Thought it best to ask, so's I don't break something n' all.

:)

Mykentros

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: New updates are available . . !!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:05:33 am »
Simply...yes.

Iamthom

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:55:10 am »
Yes, but most of the times that is a bug that will be fixed once it becomes an actual problem. Unless you cannot login and get into the game, then you do not need to run the updater.  :)
- Milden/Mildew (whichever you knew me by)

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 06:35:19 am »
No, unless the updater is currently borked, obey the message.  You just have to remember that there's only one message, and the updates aren't always for you.  Just run the updater, it'll check, and get them for you if they apply.

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

Szyx

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 11:50:13 am »
wait, so we should run the updater, or we shouldn't?
I am a unique warrior. I travel through time and space, learning all that I can. I go by many names; stories have told of me by using the names of Szyx, Xen, and Eco. Befriend me or not, it doesn't matter...

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 11:53:19 am »
If you see a sign for new updates, run it. DaveG meant that sometimes there are updates that won't apply to you - but the updater shows the message anyway.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Szyx

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 12:04:43 pm »
Oh, ok. Thank you kary, I understand it now. ;)
I am a unique warrior. I travel through time and space, learning all that I can. I go by many names; stories have told of me by using the names of Szyx, Xen, and Eco. Befriend me or not, it doesn't matter...

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 02:31:36 pm »
Actually I usually run the updater before playing on any given day. Most of the time it checks and then says there are not any new updates available. However then it says something about fixing missing/damaged files and proceeds to download a couple of megs of files all over again. This always makes me feel a bit better at least, and I rarely have any problems running the game.

Thanks to Seytra for the note below about deleting the zip files. I will give that a try at some point when I have some downtime. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 04:10:52 pm by eldoth_terevan »

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 03:33:17 pm »
@ eldoth_terevan:
There is / was a problem with some files, especially zip archives that got detected as in need of being fixed, redownloaded parts and then same thing next time. A permanent solution is to manually delete the affected files (in case of files inside a zip file, the entire zip file) and then let the updater fetch a correct copy.