Author Topic: Winch Thoughts  (Read 1436 times)

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
Winch Thoughts
« on: November 13, 2007, 04:50:09 am »
Been thinking about the winch and some as yet unimplemented features  like Megaras and Pterosaurs and I am unsure if this is an inconsistency or not.

Some basic premises, the council of Octarchs rule Yliakum making it in effect one country, although not  implemented Flying transport  is a fact of life.

So why does the winch need an official pass to use? bearing in mind that although flying animals are not cheap  (outlaws rarely concern themselves with cost ;) ) it is easily bypassed.

There  is no need for Country style borders as it is all under the same rule and those with evil or dishonest intentions  wouldn't use that route anyway.
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Winch Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 05:19:25 am »
Perhaps as if the average farmer could just use it, it would cost a lot more to mantain and would slow everything down, longer cues for rich merchants to put their goods on, would imagine it takes a while to load everything on, then get lifted up\down then load everything off, and repeat.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 05:24:21 am »
I presumed that the winches were controlled by wealthy merchants and politicians, who then probably try to make a profit by selling temporary passes to allow people to use the winch. I do agree that the current in-game situation doesn't make much sense though.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Suvok

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since Client 0.3.014
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:05:47 am »
My impression was the passes were not to split up the levels into seperate countries exactly. The passes were just to limit who travelled using the Winch. It says that only the rich and privilaged are even allowed in the Winch area. People who are too poor for the Winch or the Ptersaurs must use the steps carved into the wall of the stalactite. If anyone could use it then where would the owners get their money?

It is like in the real world. I'll use the example of the large country known as Australia. Australia is vast, almost the size of Europe and in the middle there is virtually 'nothingness'. Poeple usually use aeroplanes to get from one side to the other because of the distance. However, not everyone can afford to fly everywhere. Airlines don't give their tickets away or they wouldn't make money. The 'Slow Way' in Yliakum is the Real World equivilent of having to drive all the way.
Confusion is always the most honest response

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:24:48 am »
ahh well I'm not saying it should be free, but as Dome is the "breadbasket" of Yliakum and given the readily available and fast transport of the winch one would expect economies of scale to drive prices down, the size and scale of it suggests jumbo jet rather than Concorde to me.

With regard to the travel across Australia, all you need is the cash, you don't need government permission to fly or drive any more than you need it to walk.
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

Suvok

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since Client 0.3.014
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:19:30 am »
Well, you don't need government permission to travel to the other levels. You just need it to use their machinery.
Confusion is always the most honest response

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:39:32 am »
one doesn't need government permission to hop on a plane/bus/whatever just the cash to buy a ticket
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:50:41 am »
you do in corrupt govenments

Velh Krome

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 08:45:47 am »
Seconding Miadon in the first place, I had my trouble to see the current winch-situation making sense as well. In the end I just "had to" assume that the government wants to prevent poor citizens to enter that area just for the sake of being disgusted by them, or afraid of their possible anger. I see the winch-area as one only accessible for privileged and rich people. Its like the rulers dont fancy to see citizens dressed in rags roaming close to them - keep the poor on distance;) Like in medieval beggars and lepers may have been spit at by wealthy citizens and aristocraty, while in PS there are many of those beggars.
So in the end, yes: To me the government is obviously sort of polarizing, yet in no way fair, benevolent and kind, thus the restricted access.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:52:41 am »
That's a way of looking at it, Velh but it doesn't add up for me. The Winch area doesn't have high class buildings, it looks exactly the same as the rest of Hydlaa. The NPCs there aren't all that wealthy either. There are a few important citizens there but at the same time also very regular folk or even crazy barbers. I just think that the settings could use some more consistency in that area.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:58:32 am »
well the winch to me just looks out of place, especially that thing that looks like a computer in it. Also there doesn't actually seem to be a actual platform yet that would be the one you stand on to go up and down, unless I am looking at the wrong thing.

Velh Krome

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 09:02:35 am »
Yeah Zan, I agree: My solution might have at least worked for me, but still left some bad taste, even if its said that rich and wealthy merchants are meant to be inside that area.
However, I think having the government shouldnt be saints. That would do well for creating some tension and also a broader spectrum on possible roleplays.
That way maybe only some cosmetical changes, richer looking houses and estates that is, would have to be added and it would make (more) sense? And yes, the NPCs there should be adjusted a bit more as well, as not everyone seems to necessarily be fitting such a noble area.

Also there doesn't actually seem to be a actual platform yet
Hm, that one I take for negligible and easily to be added. Its actually the same with the Eagle Bronze Doors.
that thing that looks like a computer in it
Yep, thats really a bit irritating, yet may work as an indicator for the present wealth in there.

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 09:40:08 am »
or even crazy barbers.

He's also a surgeon. Doctors do make good money. :)

that thing that looks like a computer in it

Yes, it looks like a computer - we were confused by it at first as well. But those things that look like monitors are actually plaques.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 10:38:52 am »
I think what makes it worse it has all those buttons and stuff, which makes it look even more like a computer, even though it seems to be a mechanically driven winch by animals pulling it up.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 11:29:43 am »
The hydlaa winch needs an official pass since every criminal could have access otherwise. Merchants can own only one flying animal, so they'd likely not be able to transport all of their goods through it, as they'd buy/sell wares in many different places. The majority of the goods would be carried through winches, and I don't think it'd be wanted by the merchants that their goods are exposed to everyone.