Author Topic: Player Created Lore  (Read 520 times)

Nochulas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Player Created Lore
« on: March 01, 2010, 04:53:39 pm »
I was thinking to myself today, "I wish planeshift had a sort of journal built into it, just like one big quest note, that would allow my character to write his experiences (and his past prior to me starting the game) down. I think that would help everyone Role Play more consistently and allow people to get inside the heads of their characters. Also I'd be able to keep track of confusing things."

Then I thought, what if you could share this journal with other people?

Allowing players to write books and share them with each other would, in my opinion, really help in making the world of Planeshift an evolving one. In a world where you can here about people second hand and read accounts of things that happened before your time or while you were elsewhere, or just of another's personal experiences, could make the world all around more immersive. This sort of thing lead to more persistent player-created storylines and that, above all else, is really what Role Playing is about.

What do you think?

bilbous

Re: Player Created Lore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:59:31 pm »
I think you ought to go talk to jayose in the library, I am sure he has a blank book or two to sell.

Dermathil

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:00:01 pm »
In fact, books have been ingame for quite a long time now.
But your suggestion made me think about something: A new tab in the quest window, named "Souvenirs", which could be a way to view your logs during the game. That way I wouldn't crash my game due to switching between it and my logs.

Proud owner and founder of the Khazadi Bookshop.

Nochulas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 05:07:16 pm »
Wow, this made my day. \\o//

Nochulas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:08:22 pm »
But on another note, if you write a book, is it still only one item? Because I was hoping for a sort of way to make a book go viral, and not have to be in one person's hands at a time. Something that could really spread to everyone.

katu

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Settings Developer
    • View Profile
    • ghozm.org
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 05:12:26 pm »
You can save a book and by loading the same text you can make a lot of copies. Please mark that each copy must have a unique name, like "My fancy book title (copy 1)". If you write good you might be able to sell them to other players.

Good luck!

Rigwyn

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:16:32 pm »

If you want to see some existing history, look at the "In Game Roleplay Events" section on the message board .. there's logs of good stuff there.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 04:09:45 am »
Locking, already in game.
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947