Author Topic: a scrawl on a wall  (Read 3485 times)

Phinehas

Re: a scrawl on a wall
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 08:06:19 pm »
And this is why I hate poetry. Too open to subjectivity and... overall strangeness.Thanks Moony for telling us what it's abut, if that's really what it's about.

No, don't lecture me on the fact that poetry is meant to be subjective to the readers, etc. etc. I understand. I just don't enjoy it.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 08:19:51 pm »
You are welcome, and it is (for the most part, as steuben told me)

Do not doubt the moon when it comes to writing. ;)

Spellin'....well, that is another subject. xD

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 11:26:27 pm »
And this is why I hate poetry. Too open to subjectivity and... overall strangeness.Thanks Moony for telling us what it's abut, if that's really what it's about.

No, don't lecture me on the fact that poetry is meant to be subjective to the readers, etc. etc. I understand. I just don't enjoy it.

The fact that literature can have multiple meanings is one of the many things that makes a work of art great.  I'd even say that it's a part of what makes it art.  And well it should because it reflects life; life itself is inherently subjective.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Phinehas

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 11:34:08 pm »

The fact that literature can have multiple meanings is one of the many things that makes a work of art great.  I'd even say that it's a part of what makes it art.  And well it should because it reflects life; life itself is inherently subjective.
Doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't exactly have an artist's soul, if you haven't picked that up yet. As for life being subjective, I'm not sure I agree with that, but I can't think about it right now, because I'm tired. I might get back to you on that one, but I'm sure you don't really care what I think, and neither do I, so I probably won't.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 12:13:44 am »
People disagree on things all the time and there's little to say who is right or wrong in the end.  Our understanding of existence is dependant on assumption, and our assumptions change and bend and evolve as we age.  I think that's good grounds to say that life is subjective.
Immaturity is FTW.

Phinehas

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 12:33:41 am »
People disagree on things all the time and there's little to say who is right or wrong in the end.  Our understanding of existence is dependant on assumption, and our assumptions change and bend and evolve as we age.  I think that's good grounds to say that life is subjective.
Perhaps, but I believe in God, and therefore I believe in His standards and measurements in life. Therefore although people view life subjectively, there is only one objective reality. Anyway, I'm not going to discuss this here, Steuben doesn't deserve to have a thread ruined.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 12:40:07 am »
I should have known.
Immaturity is FTW.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 01:12:34 pm »
* steuben looks at the calender and decides to bump this.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 05:05:32 pm »
 /shrug

They fought against something to protect those behind them because; they wanted to ensure a better future or correct a moral wrong that shouldn't have to inflict those being protected.

It may be the argument of a parent: They were poor and worked to become wealthy so their child would not have to live in poverty.
It may be the argument of a vigilante: Use the tactics the evil they seek to undo wields to eradicate them.

Some analysis after reading the poem. Not absolute, just what came to mind.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 02:14:09 am »
 ??? god you're worse than emily dickinson. thanks for breaking my mind.

Rigwyn

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 12:48:28 pm »
I totally stink at understanding poetry .. might as well be Greek.

Here's my guess..

First part suggests to me that "we" saw something evil,bad,burdensome  and were enticed by it
This could be a drug,drinking, gambling,  addiction, some form of abuse
It was a demon .. something that perhaps should NOT be so enticing...

the demon did not call us,
we came.
the demon bid us go,
we stayed.
he promised us death,
we fought for life.
through fire, we stood by him.
into hell, we followed him.
we were his because.
because,
because...

And as a result of our following and embracing of this so called demon we became it ourselves ( or became one with it ) .. and others repeated the cycle .. this time following us.

we were his because,
behind us there were
those who should not be
what we were.

Actually .. I kinda like this one ..

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 10:01:18 am »
so addicts became addicts for those who should not be addicts?
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Rigwyn

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 10:37:03 am »

Well, the case of the addict analogy, the addict is enticed towards something "bad".. - lets say its enki-nip

"The demon did not call us, we came". The enki-nip did not call the addict .. its was the other way around
"The demon bid us go, we stayed". The consequences of this this addiction should have pushed the addict away ( perhaps getting caught for the first time, or a near fatal accident ) .. but the addict stuck to his enki-nip
"He promised us death, we fought for life". The addict knows where he is headed .. but strives anyway despite his fate
"Through fire we stood by him, into hell we followed him". The addict endures all sorts of suffering and misery and eventually his life is turned into hell but he does not flee
"We were his because" .. Well, in the case of the addict he is clearly owned
"behind us there were those who should not be what we were." - Other addicts will foolishly imitate him and follow. This should not happen and is unfortunate .. but it happens.

I don't know if this is what you had in mind when you wrote this or not. The pattern just looked similar.