Author Topic: some ideas to kick around  (Read 968 times)

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
some ideas to kick around
« on: August 24, 2006, 04:42:56 pm »
Elemental allignments for monsters and what spells affect them what dosent and what badly injures them. for example ulbas being ground beasts and being affected badly by wind spells or flying creatures to only be able to be attacked by projectile attacks such as energy arrow. Also mage elemental allignments such as a bad char choseing to be alligned with dark way and theyd hold higher lvls to it or do more dmg with it and even take less dmg from those spells.

A proper police system example and best place to use in the hydlaa city if your by harnquists and kill someone the police would come and charge you tria or kill you you also wouldnt be allowed in the town till you have the money.

more citizens like enak and spreed around a little more instead of going to go all the way to ojaveda to sell your hides.

more than one gold mine preferably one close to oja to make oja more independant city.

more looting npcs.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: some ideas to kick around
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 05:05:37 pm »
yep been kicked around and toodeath. soon(tm) and planned(tm) on all counts.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 05:19:18 pm »
Elemental allignments for monsters and what spells affect them what dosent and what badly injures them.

This is a bit boring and most certainly overdone. Our magic system (when it will be developed further) is going to be more unique. You are forgetting the "Why" rule however - why or how would an elemental allignment system benefit PlaneShift?

A proper police system example and best place to use in the hydlaa city if your by harnquists and kill someone the police would come and charge you tria or kill you you also wouldnt be allowed in the town till you have the money.

more citizens like enak and spreed around a little more instead of going to go all the way to ojaveda to sell your hides.

more than one gold mine preferably one close to oja to make oja more independant city.

more looting npcs.

WISHLIST RULES - Absolutely MUST read!.

I'm disappointed.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 06:03:52 pm »
an elemental system like i described in brief would benefit ps by a few simple reasons.

1. so ppl start thinking about strategue and even maybe become experts on a few monsters they hunt most often.

2. It get boring useing the same strategie of "deuling" creatures all the time. wouldnt it be more fun if you had to plan out an attack or least have a more effective and difrent way to dispence with each creature.

3. why the hell not its only natural for a creature to have an affinaty to a certian home. birds sky monkeys trees humans ground ect why not just make them so they are elements of that same thing as i said before i would enjoy it and ppl that like to think about attacking ect instead of running in with battle axes crashing would enjoy it to i think.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 06:54:21 pm »
1. so ppl start thinking about strategue and even maybe become experts on a few monsters they hunt most often.

But this can be done with us continuing our work on the six different Ways of magic. I fail to see how an elemental system is better, and you still have a duty to explain. Right now it seems boring and simple compared to the system we will have :)

2. It get boring useing the same strategie of "deuling" creatures all the time. wouldnt it be more fun if you had to plan out an attack or least have a more effective and difrent way to dispence with each creature.

Oh, definitely. But I think the correct path is to expand our magic system further, increase the number of spells, etc.

3. why the hell not its only natural for a creature to have an affinaty to a certian home. birds sky monkeys trees humans ground ect why not just make them so they are elements of that same thing as i said before i would enjoy it and ppl that like to think about attacking ect instead of running in with battle axes crashing would enjoy it to i think.

This is not a good reason. "I would enjoy it" fails to explain how it would benefit everyone. You are suggesting a complete replacement of our magic combat system - why should this be worth the effort? Right now magic isn't good for as many things as it should be, but that doesn't mean that we have no plans for it and are not working to fix it already.

Phinehas

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 07:53:59 pm »

But this can be done with us continuing our work on the six different Ways of magic. I fail to see how an elemental system is better, and you still have a duty to explain. Right now it seems boring and simple compared to the system we will have :)

Oh, definitely. But I think the correct path is to expand our magic system further, increase the number of spells, etc.

This is not a good reason. "I would enjoy it" fails to explain how it would benefit everyone. You are suggesting a complete replacement of our magic combat system - why should this be worth the effort? Right now magic isn't good for as many things as it should be, but that doesn't mean that we have no plans for it and are not working to fix it already.
Karyuu is too polite to say what she means. Allow me to sum up. N00b, stop being one.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 12:39:56 am »
ok number one why is this a noob siggestion in your way. an no giveing us more spells wouldnt be very helpfull it stilll be based on the system we have now. now im not asking for the system now to be ripped away oh no but an elemental system could be integrated with nearly every kind of magic system known to man.

personal thoughts are ppl so narrow minded they cant think of posibilitys of things has the playstation era brainwashed ppl into simple games that dont require any thought in how to get around things. Or is newideas of how to do things frighten ppl and instantly they call ppl noobs cause they come up with something that is diffrent from the pack ?
(Fighter in the wind)

Santiago

• Hydlaa Resident
  • "Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:06:55 am »
Neither, you simply havn't explained why it would be such a great idea. It is all well and good saying "it would be better", but that alone is a weak argument at best. We have a magic system -- why would an element system be better than our current (planned) implementation?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 01:23:55 am »
Or is newideas of how to do things frighten ppl and instantly they call ppl noobs cause they come up with something that is diffrent from the pack ?

As I said, it's the most overdone system out there. If we are to implement it in PlaneShift, it must have some obvious benefits over our current 6 Ways. What are the benefits that the Ways cannot provide?

Anne Ominous

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 02:51:20 am »
maybe I'm misunderstanding here.. This 'element' word seems to be the pivotal point of debate... I think, and we all know my thoughs aren't always the most invited, well if they are invited they're also given hints they overstayed their welcome... anyway, i think;

The concept is really to make some Npcs (not just the animal ones, right?) a certain scale of immunity, reduced damage & increased damage depending on the way of magic...

I have to admit i see little to no 'benefit' to the community, the way the idea is presented, could be rpish, but have to agree still seems lacking...

What it did remind me of was waaaay  back when I had thought (& soon dismised the thought as there isn't even anti-magic) that anti-magic seemed a bit too much like a "Gun at a knifefight" skill vs mages... I mean sure there are armor & agil, but no anti-combat skill... & perhaps another approach would be to reduce the damage one takes from spells in 'ways' in which their rank is high... This could benifit mages wishing to allign themselves more with certain ways, give more value to spells of combined ways, allow beneficial spells to work better (if i have high crystal way & you cast life infusion on me it heals more than were my crystal way lower)...

With this concept the more humanoid npcs could have training in logical magic ways, and those are the ones that affect them (negatively) less, the ones they havent trained in affect them more... This adds another level of realism to the npcs as a gladiator might have trained high in a certain way to cast strength on himself, or a Rogue might have learned darkness to cover his crimes... maybe bandits learned to heal themelves ...(umm does freeze do anything as it is?)... making each less vulnerable to certain magic (so by comparison) more vulnerable to others... as we all know religious alignement, parents, birth events etc can all give us magic skills.. So it makes sense that the same could be true of NPCs.. Actually, they could even have magic skills already, but unlless they cast a spell there is no way to tell...

I don't know all the formss magic is intended to be implemented, so my ideas may be waay off base, but i think this concept follows with logic & rp. like how, realistically, higher rank in most combat skills should in theory make you better against a foe who is using that form of combat (but i'd better leave that one for another thread another day). The additional layer to magical combat would allow magic to become as worthwhile to train as various stats & combat skills.. even if one doesn't intend to be a mage most of the time..No amount of intelligence or will or charisma seems to protect us from spells currently, while strength & endurance remain pivotal in how much damage you can withstand [and to be honest i don't know, but get the feeling agil doesn't figure into magic beyond hp...and i am similarly unsure about the armors]... At the least this would add passive defence to magic, assuming that anti magic was more an active concept (yes i know i should have re-read all the magic ways description etc before posting, but i'm tired, just got home froom work, and i think we all agree & said way more here than i should have anyway...Those of you still reading; i'm sorry, please bare with me.. you're almost there..thanks..)...

(((
     I know it's probably asking a lot, but it would also be pretty impressive to also have a few evil npcs who cast darkness or weakness in combat & a few good ones who cast Life-In if you are injured... This would definitely make the characters less 2 dimensional, especially for combat [but only touch range please... don't need to enter arena & have all the humanoid npcs execute you with more summoned missiles than a nation recieving an imposed democracy]...
                                                                                              )))

Just trying to say that 'elements' of this idea could have merit is all...

Also, I know i've been accused of rudeness before, but phinehas, that was cold.

[and you really don't have to quote the entire post that came right before yours in the same thread... Unless you're trying to show the reason you could sniff out a noob is that we can smell our own ;D ]

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 01:23:41 pm »
ok now thats probably a long winded but more in depth comment on what i mean at least someone got it and understood it.
(Fighter in the wind)

Phinehas

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 06:59:13 pm »
Also, I know i've been accused of rudeness before, but phinehas, that was cold.
Well actually, not as cold as it could have been. I said n00b, not newb because a newb is just new and naive, whereas a n00b attempts to impose their uneducated opinions on those with more experience in the game. I also said "stop being one", to point out that it would not be that hard to be better, if one really put some effort into it. Even if you didn't quite get this, my point is, yes, it's harsh, but some people need that to snap them out of their little world.
[and you really don't have to quote the entire post that came right before yours in the same thread... Unless you're trying to show the reason you could sniff out a noob is that we can smell our own ;D ]
Not sure I quite grasp your meaning.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 12:49:56 am »
well for one with me haveing over 16 years of experience playing games and beaten prbably games you souldnt concieve of ide hardly class that as a noob fair enough only played ps about 5 months but hey i still have 16 years of other games. And secondly were did i ever try to impose my will on other this is basicaly a a forum portian for ideas so this was simply an idea that i came up to that i thought in my opinion that i thought would be nice and that other gamers that dont wish the same way to kill everything and like a bit of a tactical chalange could aprectiate and like. Fair enough maybe not everyones cup of tea but seing as how my idea is basicaly and ad on an extenstion of what we have now all be it another way to do things youd still have the option of doing the boring old tryed and tested means of "deuling" the creature.
(Fighter in the wind)

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 02:49:50 am »
i tink if dont want to keep looking bad you should read the "sticky" on top of "wish list" forum section on how to post, try indeep your ideas just a lill better then "i want this, because i like it" ;) and youll not look like a "n00b" anymore

@phinehas: i disagree, n00b = newbie = newb : they all mean the same, and personally i see no offense in any of them..

(ps: im not trying to flame anyone here sorry if anyone feels insulted :lol:)

neko kyouran

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 03:07:58 am »
@ minetus:
That's becuase you aren't equiped properly
1) http://www.knightsedge.com/swords/celtic-flame-sword.htm
2) http://www.knightsedge.com/daggers/celtic-flame-dagger.htm

That's better.    ;)

And now ontopic.

If I understand right, you want one type of "element" be resistant/weak to another.  Not a new concept, but it has it's merits.  The thing is though, that's already in or will be in once the magic sysytem is further worked on in PS as well.  I believe some of the Ways will be resistant/weak against other Ways, so this idea is already being planned.  The difference is where you say fire element is weak to water, in PS its more like Dark way is weak to the Light Way.