Author Topic: multi langauge  (Read 1020 times)

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
multi langauge
« on: February 15, 2007, 01:05:20 pm »
Ok i know this game still young and dont think this should be in till beta even if its only a few of the most common langauges but listen to it before makeing a desition.

Multi langauge would allow you to install a game in different langauges this langauge select would then be used for your game. Such as talking with other players this would allow you to type in your own langauge and sent out allowing other clients to convert best it can to langauge selected at install. such as i was french i could type in french and another player that speacks english would see what i typed in english were another player thats maybe german would see it in german. and same for him if the english speacker replyed they would type in english and the german would see it in german and the french would see it in french. this converstion would take part not only in normal chat but under all tabs group, tells, guild ect ect.

Npc would also have this converter allowing ppl to do quests in there own langauge as well. this hopefully allowing ppl to understand storie line better and also quest better and what they have to do in said quests. the npc wouls also reply in what ever langauge selected and also take required triggers in other langauges.

This overall would hopefully lead to less confustion in talk and help everyone have a better gameing experience also allowing for a much much bigger player base from all over the world. 
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

Garris Shrike

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The Mad Irishman
    • View Profile
Re: multi langauge
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 01:07:39 pm »
Good idea, ALlive.
Garris Shrike.
A lady's man. That lady's friend's man. That lady's friend's sister's man.
He will be missed.
M. R., also known as Lurch

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 01:12:29 pm »
Even the best of internet translator sites make a mess of translations. Sometimes you can't understand a single sentence that comes out from such a thing.

I think it would be an unnecessary effort, and a crapload of effort at that. The game is meant to be played in English, and that is to make it consistent and easy. No translator can ever be perfect, and our Game Masters would have a hell of a time helping someone who "attempts" to type in another language, or dealing with misbehaviors from sneaky players who will learn how to abuse the translator system and leave vulgarities unchanged from their original form.

It's an English game. As unfortunate as that is sometimes for some people, I see no feasible alternatives.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Garris Shrike

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The Mad Irishman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 01:14:34 pm »
You're right, Kary, maybe some members of the community could step up and try and provide translations. That would be cool
Garris Shrike.
He will be missed.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 01:32:10 pm »
I don't think you understood her post. No = No.

And don't act like English is all that hard to learn, I know some African languages you ought to try if you think that.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

lordraleigh

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 01:33:06 pm »
On what Karyuu said.

Let's me translate something from Spanish to English through babelfish:
Translation of messages from different languages to English?
A waste of coding time in my opinion, here's an example of why

Spanish original phrase

La población de la ciudad de Hydlaa vive en condiciones mucho mejores ahora, pero muchas personas aun pasan por problemas con la criminalidad que es cada vez mayor debido a la falta de acción por parte de su gobierno

Babelfish translation

The population of the city of Hydlaa lives now in much better conditions, but many people even happen through problems with the criminality that is every greater time due to the lack of action on the part of its government

An example of proper translation

The population of the city of Hydlaa lives now in much better conditions, but many people still suffer problems with the criminality that is greater and greater due to the lack of action from its government

Another one(Spanish)

Hola! Tengo que hacer una pregunta: Usted sabes donde estás el grifo del fuego? Soy un mago con experiencia en las magias del camino rojo.

Translation from Babelfish

Hello! I must make a question: You know where you are the fire faucet? I am a magician with experience in the magic of the red way

Better translation:

Hello! I have to ask you a question: Do you know where is the fire glyph? I am a magician with experience in the magics of the red way

Are you sure it's worthy to program such thing? Now imagine the distortions from translation between much more than just 2 languages!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:36:50 pm by lordraleigh »

Garris Shrike

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The Mad Irishman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 01:33:43 pm »
Well, I am sure the devs would say no to someone who actually spent a long time translating EVERYTHING to a certain language, right? Weird, I wouldnt

*edit*

but I do agree with you guys, using a program would just screw it all up.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:35:48 pm by Garris Shrike »
Garris Shrike.
He will be missed.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 01:53:49 pm »
I don't think you understand how translating works.. :) We can't have a live person sitting there for everyone translating everything they say, so it would have to be done through a program. And there's no way to make sure everything translates properly, no matter how hard you try. Languages are tricky.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 01:58:28 pm »
Lol, 'you know where you are the fire faucet'...

If you really want, Planeshift is open-source, meaning you could attempt to code your own translator thing and build it into PS, but I wouldn't expect it to become official or anything.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 02:00:30 pm »
I don't think you understood her post. No = No.

And don't act like English is all that hard to learn, I know some African languages you ought to try if you think that.

Actually, English is supposed to be the second hardest language in the world to learn, behind the chinese dialects.

Translation programs are extremely hard to get right. Context and gender is very important, and English has some big differences to other languages in respect to these and other things.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 02:26:56 pm »
Really?
Sheesh, and I thought learning French was hard :P

No wait, I don't believe that. Some African languages use clicks in their speech besides just words to communicate. The exact same word can have a huge number of different meanings depending on the number of clicks that were used in the sentences. It's almost impossible to learn it if you didn't learn it from birth. That beats Chinese.

Also, a teacher once told me that my own language, Dutch, has more exceptions in it than English. I don't know if that's true though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:35:48 pm by ThomPhoenix »
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 02:55:40 pm »
Really?

No wait, I don't believe that. Some African languages use clicks in their speech besides just words to communicate. The exact same word can have a huge number of different meanings depending on the number of clicks that were used in the sentences. It's almost impossible to learn it if you didn't learn it from birth. That beats Chinese.

Also, a teacher once told me that my own language, Dutch, has more exceptions in it than English. I don't know if that's true though.

Chinese has a symbol for almost every word or concept in existence. In other words, where we have 26 characters in the alphabet which make up different words, they have around 60,000 :P

In other words, saying your 'abc's in Chinese could take a week, and knowing them off by heart is the equivalent of knowing a dictionary off by heart... (Not to mention how similar some symbols look, meaning people with bad handwriting are screwed...)

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 03:01:19 pm »
Really?

Ok, out of the languages spoken by more than 1000 people, English is the second hardest to learn :P

Vulcas

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 03:04:59 pm »
Not true! Klingon is the hardest!  :P

On a serious note, the difficulty of learning another language often depends on your native language similarities. English may be easy to learn for some but difficult for others. Same with every language. Too many native English speakers, who couldn't put two words together in another language, whine when someone's non-native English isn't perfect. It's actually a big accomplishment to learn another language and shouldn't be taken for granted. :)

Here's an interesting discussion called Hardest Languages to Learn. They even brought up "Silbo", the whistling language.

What's really amusing is that different people are proud of either how difficult or how easy it is to learn their language. Different strokes for different folks.

Garris Shrike

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The Mad Irishman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 03:07:38 pm »
Yeah. I just remembered that all the people talk. der dee der, I was thinking of  just a program for the NPCS, a translation i guess
Garris Shrike.
He will be missed.