Author Topic: improvement to magic system  (Read 1199 times)

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
improvement to magic system
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:28:04 pm »
ok here gose at current the magic is system aint that great anyone can admit that surely. but hey we know we know your defence its pre-alpha but none the less heres something that could make it better. so we all train we all kill we all gain experience so why dont our spells ? well lets say you had a spell as well as training to improve realm of spell you can cast why not have a system that improves how strong the spell is or even what the spell is. ok bare with me say meteor in this case this may be your favorite spell is meteor you cast this spell more than others. Should you get better with this spell should it take less time to cast ? should it take less mana to cast ? should it be stronger ? or perhaps it could change ? should it do all the above ?well here gose.

System 1: This system like all others allows the spell to gain exp or rather the player to gain experience with said spell. the more you use it the less manna it takes to cast and the faster it casts allowing for you to become stronger in this way and to reserve more manna and ultimately cast it more times.

System 2: say again same spell  meteor you use it more often than others you dont take less time to cast or less manna but instead of tthe spell takeing 15 hp outta someone the more it gains exp the more dmg it causes upto a maximum of say 200 % giveing it a total of 30 hp each cast.

System 3: Again meteor it gains experience and it slwly evolves through many lvls to its ultimate form perhaps takeing longer to cast and more manna. But the spell eveolves from say one metoer into lots of meteors being now an area affect spell causeing many meteors to fall those getting hit for proper dmg and ppl standing around them getting hit for splash dmg.

you could go for a combinations of all or a few of them something to think over.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: improvement to magic system
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 06:30:32 pm »
Your Way training determines how long it takes to cast a spell, and how powerful it'll be. If you just cast that one spell, it's still in the Red Way, and you perform the way you cast that like all the other Red Way spells, so they would all have a lower cast time and higher attack power.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 06:35:44 pm »
no it dosent cause currently the system now would still be in place and you would still have your lvls systm like it is now this is connected to only one spell at a time giveing more variaty to spells and hopefully bringing player prefrances to play into it more instead of everyone running around with max lvl of a certian way and say meteor may as well keep it same. you could have two max lvl red way users with the meteor glyph yet one could have this area affect one and the other not makeing them infact the more powerfull wizard in that spell.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 06:39:51 pm »
Why have Ways, then? Ways are elements, basically, but your system pretty much removes them, pretty much making spells more dis-organized.

If you train in that element, you're a master in all of the spells in that Way.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 06:43:23 pm »
well the ways even now basicaly just decide what realm of spell you can cast and in all my ways i never stopped that you would still have to train to lvl 20 to cast a relm 2 spell just above and beyond that that relm 2 spell can evolve. i never said anything about ripping the ways system away just an extension on top of it something to make it better more fun. and logicaly thinking about it if you cast a spell a fair amount would you not think you would get better at doing it ?
(Fighter in the wind)

Gharan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 06:45:06 pm »
Surely that's what the stats are though "training", surely a glyph can only be so powerful no matter how many times it's cast.

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 06:46:14 pm »
But here's what I'm getting at - you cast all of the spells in that Way the same as you do the other spells in that Way (you know, the red light that shines around you before it casts?). So, even though you're casting Meteor, you're casting it the same you do the other spells in that way, so you would also gain experience with casting those.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 06:49:11 pm »
the point is though especialy with the first 2 systems is that you are as strong as you can get now a spell that was maybe hard for you to cast at one point would become easier the more you used it yes ? it would need as much focus or drain you as much ? this would be reflected in manna. or for the fact that a spell might not drain you as much would mean you can in fact make it stronger the point is the more you cast a spell the less effect its going to have on the caster in the way it drains him.
(Fighter in the wind)

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 06:51:30 pm »
When you start off on Red Way, you can't automatically cast Meteor, you need to train it to cast that. You could say, that after training one of those spells enough, you learn an advanced spell and have no use for the other one. I'm not sure if this has to do with what you're saying or not, since it's hard for me to understand what you're saying.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 06:51:53 pm »
yes but thats also visual graphics if you notice all spells for red way have the same light from the ground but do they do all the same thing now there still independant glyphs of there own accord my systems just exploit that like i said hopefully makeiung the system more intuative and giveing each player a greater individuality.

*edit*

suno you have basicaly nailed it on system three thats what im getting at you get to the realm needed to cast meteor then after you have learned enough about that spell it changes to an advanced version with maybe area affects or greater dmg being delt or even status affects allong with it.

and about you not being able to cast meteor to begin with i know this that is way the way lvl system is still needed for you to train that way through the current system to the lvl required for that realm.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:33:26 pm by neko kyouran »
(Fighter in the wind)

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 07:01:47 pm »
Really, as you train Red Way, you learn more "focus" as I like to call it. There's no difference in the way these spells are casted, just when you "focus" more, you get a stronger and more effective spell. That's the longer cast time for meteor. You can't really shorten your focus or it won't work, unless you train enough in your red way to remove the focus time on all of your spells.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 07:05:46 pm »
ok easy way to explain this let me think ever played final fantasy 7 ok you know how spells materia grows in that game the more you use the stronger spells you get now think about adding that into the cirrect system we have without rmoveing anything. the lvl system we have now will be active cause of the fact you still have to train to higher lvls to cast higher relms but after your at the realm for a certian spell a system close to final fantasy 7 kicks in.
(Fighter in the wind)

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 07:09:39 pm »
Ok, but how is this system better exactly? There's no point in training one spell to be better than the others, when you can train the Way and be adept in all the spells related to that Way.

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 07:15:27 pm »
like i said you may like one spell better than the others it give more of a individual spell and allows for more interesting things to be done pluss the benefit for full mages to cause some very real very painfull casting. i mean isnt it fair that if you use on spell more than the rest you should be rewarded with the ability for it to do more dmg or have othere affects ect ?
(Fighter in the wind)

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 07:17:30 pm »
Well, this has probably been suggested before anyway. Wait for someone else to post, they'll give you another reason why not to have this system.