Author Topic: Global Echology discussion  (Read 782 times)

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
Global Echology discussion
« on: November 17, 2006, 10:24:05 am »
I'd just like to make a note to all Swedes on this forum.
http://aftonbladet.se/vss/klimathotet/story/0,2789,934184,00.html
Read through, and sign this list to make you rvoice heard, that you want to
change the environment. Further environmental discussion is welcome, your views and what you do to preserve the environment, and what others can do.

Scientists have said that in 45 years, when we reach the golly number 9 billion people(9 milliards) the resources on this globe, a globe that gives you oxygen to breath and food to eat, won't be enough, seas will be fished out leaving us with a global echological collapse within decades. We have to remember that Earth isn't endless. It's a fixed amount of carbon with various minerals and chemicals that can be used a fixed amount of times. Now sure, these minerals and chemicals are used and can be recycled but the fact that they're leaking into the air, or, literally flushed into the atmosphere and ocean wont due for a stable growth in the environment. The fact that actually the world echonomy is tied to nature's resources will leave us with a bankrupsy when the disaster is a fact.

Now, what have I done to try and prevent this. Everyone can prevent this, you can, your friends can. I've seen your awesome argumentation skill and I know you can do it. Convince people, make them see that this and that is a good or bad habit and tell them why. Present them info like i've just done, converse with them. Discuss, listen to them and together we can all find a solution perosnally, or globally.

Now, what do I do? Well, i've written to this forum about the consequences of our present situation. World leaders are told and lectured to aim more at the environmental cause, they've actually been told to focus as much on the environmental cause as they do with nuclear investigations. People are doing things and I feel it's my duty to reach out to more people. Maybe I affect someone, make them aware of my and others viewpoint on our current situation.

Yesterday I changed my lamp for a low energy lamp and convinced my mother to buy these the next time we buy light bulbs. Also rechargable batteries and loaders were in priority. It was hard to convince her but it was worth the cause. I'm trying to make a better future for myself, and others.
So. What do you do to change this, what have you been told. Have others told you anything?
^Swedes. Don't forget the namelist :)

Now, let's see what everyone's doing, and thinking.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:25:59 am by Baldur »

Monketh

• Veteran
  • aka GovernmentAgent, CorporateAgent
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
Re: Global Echology discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 12:22:09 pm »
"Shut the [explicative deleted] up, you [explicative deleted]ing liberal.  Like I care?"
"Jesus is coming back soon anyway so it doesn't matter, and you sinners have brought it on yourselves."
Yeah, try combatting those.  It's depressing, and common here in les Etats Unis.
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 01:01:18 pm »
Well I do as much as I can:

I...

*use low energy bulbs,
*recycle plastic bottles, cans\tins, papers
*turn things off when I can.
*Instead of using a screensaver, I just turn the screen off.
*buy some stuff from carbonneutral.com for gifts and such
*buy my DVD's and other stuff 2nd hand
*Take my cans\papers home if I can't recycle them where I am
*use public transport
*use a normal shower (not a power one) instead of baths.
*use a water butt
*put waste food for compost
*use fat from any meat to make bird seed mix.
*use click to donate sites: see: http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=24599.0 for the planeshift ecologyfund.com group.
*recycle CD's\DVD's from a charity shop I work at.
*I never use an aeroplane

and I'm always trying to do more o.O
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 02:15:17 pm »
I've just started and i'm very interested in hearing what others do to save some on the environment. Apart from Monketh's apparent trolling i'd love to hear more posts with ways of decreasing energy-usage and preservning resources.

Good job, Miadon. That's one heck of a list.
 :)

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • ꞆĂ­ꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 02:24:26 pm »
You should join Friends of the Earth. And any Brits should take part in the Big Ask campaign.

To quote the campaign spokesperson:

"I won't let this happen to my children."
          -Thom Yorke

He gave a very moving interview once. He spoke about all the politics and what not for about half an hour and then he mentioned his son. He said that his son likes to draw polor bears and its so hard for him to watch this knowing that by the time his son is his age there will be no polar bears.  :'(
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Monketh

• Veteran
  • aka GovernmentAgent, CorporateAgent
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 07:11:52 pm »
I was not trolling, those aren't my opinions.  They're just representative of the opinions I encounter when I  ask anyone to recycle/shut off lights/etc.  That's why they were in quotes.
"Yeah, try combatting those.  It's depressing, and common here in les Etats Unis."
Means: I have to combat these.  Combatting these is depressing.  They are common here in the United States.

I thought I was better known than that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:14:52 pm by Monketh »
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 09:39:19 pm »
Well, your post looked like a troll post. Excuse me if I was mistaken. Yes, the church has always been a big obstacle in scientific terms, but we need faith too.

We'll just need to fight on, speaking for what we believe in. One day they'll listen. I*m guessing the church believes it's some kind of Harmageddon, and that's a bit bad as that would mean the church would expect people to die and suffer.

Yes, it's a balance in science and faith, the eternal struggle.

Wired_Crawler

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 07:30:46 am »
There is very effective, but controversial and not so easy way of saving the environment.

People, don't breed so quickly.

;)
"Close the world, txEn eht nepO."

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 04:40:07 pm »
oh another thing I do, I use Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries. Saves a lot of money and Green.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 07:57:12 pm »
From what I appeared to be hearing from my mother, i'm now the environmental consultant. Which means I get to purchase rechargable batteries for the family :D

I'm aiming on a battery-company i've seen lately. It's got higher lifelength when in working condition and is told to be able recharge 1000 times, heck maybe 10 000 if I was mistaken.

AryHann

• Veteran
  • WonderWoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 02:35:40 am »
I have been a member of WWF since 1990.
Since then, I have introduced my family (back then it was utopia!) to recycling and started some other little campain.
Now, I live in a country like "Sweden" which is famous for having good laws for the environment, but then I read a report written by WWF and Sweden is even worse than Italy (!).
Anyway, that is not the problem. The problem is, I think, that it is finally tiime that people is woken up for realizing that we are just having a little planet and if we want to live in it we should learn to respect it.
Unfortunately, the so-called Western world is too usy in just buying things that they use just one day and then they probably throw away for realizing that that is not a good way to continue.
I am probably not the best "environmental saviour", since I use a car when I could use a bike rather often, however, I do a lot of other actions for promoting the recycling of everything:
- recycling of paper, hard paper, hard plastic, soft plastic, electronic components, white glass, coloured glass, metal
- when I print I always print 2 pages per side, front and back
- when I get paper that has one side free I always use it for writing notes and such (this happens also for post-it)
- I tend to use really little lights and if I can I turn on candles
- instead of buying artificial parfumes for the clothes and the house I buy incense, which kept in the closets make everything smell good
- and other small things...
nothing important, but still something. The problem is in convincing the others :-)
AryHann

http://www.reflex.lth.se/culture/annelov - Virtual Annelöv -
Engine Dep. - One of Talad's Angels - Aka ww & Ahrijani's Goddess

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 05:59:17 am »
From what I appeared to be hearing from my mother, i'm now the environmental consultant. Which means I get to purchase rechargable batteries for the family :D

I'm aiming on a battery-company i've seen lately. It's got higher lifelength when in working condition and is told to be able recharge 1000 times, heck maybe 10 000 if I was mistaken.

I assume its Uniross?

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 08:03:11 am »
Hmm, no. I'm guessing it's local. Can't remember the name at present...

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 08:41:23 am »
Uniross make the best rechargeable stuff. :)