Author Topic: Team Adraax:Official City Design Contest  (Read 13607 times)

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Team Adraax:Official City Design Contest
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2008, 12:51:08 pm »
When you was away we was wondering with Baldur how to layout the stables and platforms.
There are few facts:
  • the walls are 7m high + half or so as high spikes
  • flying creatures has to fly above them while approaching to land on the platforms
  • if the landing site is too much below the spikes, it is impossible to land on them, while approaching from the walls.
  • The megaras wings width is probably 10m or so, so it can't fly through the spikes, besides the spikes purpose is exactly that, in case of assault
There are few options to make the landing site higher.
The platforms are much higher above the road level. Or there is a 2-3m high hill, with very smooth hill-side. On that hill there are another few meters high platforms, effectively being almost as high as the city walls itself. From outside the city there is no hill, so from that side the wall is still 7m high.
The goods has to be brought on the platforms level with winches or other methods.
the stables could be below the platforms, but we thought it would make more sense if the stables were on the same level as the platforms landing site. Below the whole could be warehouses, trading companies offices, quarters and what else.
Additionally the city walls spikes could be not present on the city walls directly near the platforms, what would allow the megaras landing even simpler, what i think is very good idea.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2008, 05:04:08 pm »
Here are the new maps:

Also, here are the new Vigesimi tower drawings:

In reply to the landing platform issue, I drew this as another alternative:

Inside the wall are wooden platforms on stone pillars. On top, the landing platforms and stables (in their first floor) are built. Bridges connect both sides. Underneath, shop vendors and traders can show their wares and store goods temporarily before moving them to the warehouses. Tell me if anything won't work.  :)

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2008, 01:52:11 pm »
A winch!

Maybe it isn't very obvious from the image, but that winch can rotate horizontally and hook is mounted on a rope/wire, which can be lowered up and down. It can be good in few numbers for the landing platforms and probably more common for the quarries.
Sorry i didn't make legend.

Zweitholou,
Nice insight into the vegisimi towers. But if i may propose something, It will be a long walk up, hehe, also i'm not sure if ladders are a good idea. Also, i don't know what the description say currently... but wouldn't it make sense to put in the towers something more than stairs? Maybe make the tower wider? wide enough that you can put bookshelves there, small rooms for all kinds of stuff. My first thought are books, but i'm sure there is more to put there.

Nice landing platorms, I'm only not sure if stables should be below the platform, they could be the same level, but its good option too.

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2008, 10:18:28 am »
The winch looks good.  :) And I have the same problem with not making legends.  ;D

About the tower:
But if i may propose something, It will be a long walk up, hehe,
I know, but I couldn't think of a better solution than stairs. Realistically, I think stairs would have been used, and from a gaming perspective, I didn't know if a small indoor winch, or some similar moving winch, would be easily implemented. What alternative would you suggest?

also i'm not sure if ladders are a good idea.
I think in rl the side towers would be used for ease of transportation and defense. In game, one can reach the spots in the towers using the main staircase and dropping down lvl by lvl. Also, ladders would have less polys than two more staircases. Again, what would you suggest?

Also, i don't know what the description say currently... but wouldn't it make sense to put in the towers something more than stairs? Maybe make the tower wider? wide enough that you can put bookshelves there, small rooms for all kinds of stuff. My first thought are books, but i'm sure there is more to put there.
Fixed:

Nice landing platorms, I'm only not sure if stables should be below the platform, they could be the same level, but its good option too.
Maybe the stables could be a building attached to the platform at the base, but not inside it. Also, do megaras sleep upside down? Because that would affect the shape of the stables.

Thx for answering.  :)

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2008, 05:17:35 pm »
You are right about the lift, Planeshift isn't advanced enough for a working one yet, i think.
The Vegesimi lives on top of the tower, i don't think she would enjoy climbing up and down ladders. She is the most important person in the city ;P and would have to move around her quarters by ladders? ;) (I mean these inside the upside-dpwn pyramid.

I think in rl the side towers would be used for ease of transportation and defense. In game, one can reach the spots in the towers using the main staircase and dropping down lvl by lvl. Also, ladders would have less polys than two more staircases. Again, what would you suggest?
So, their only purpose of the two side towers is military mobility in case of the tower siege and transportation of stuff by the ladders? It is extremaly hard to carry stuff climbing the ladders at the same time, unless you have backpack, but then you can't put much inside...
Ladders are good for mlitary, but this isn't defensive structure at all. It is the most magnificient structure in the whole city.
So yeah, the towers can indeed have a little use, besides big impression and platforms for gliding down Klyros. I think i would be much more satisfied if the tower was about something more significant too ;D, maybe someone find out something later and we can reflect it in their architecture.
Btw, who said it is the knowledge center? ad there has to be some books sculpures on top of it? I couldn't find it anywhere in the city description. Where is it?
So what i propose: A steep 55o wooden stairs. Their face count will be probably the same as ladders. But here is the trick: Buildings has this advantage that there is no way you can see all its parts at once, you can't float above for better viev like above a landscape/city. You see only small % of all the faces and only this % is computed at given moment, at least i think it is how it works.

Also, read the descriuption again, you missed some details, including proportions
I made some concept image for the at 50 meters height cavity.

Oh, i ben wondering too how the Megaras sleep ;D I came to a conclussion they are too big to find enough good places to sleep upside down, and so they would sleep normally. Besides, if they didn't, the stables would have to be very high, so they could fly in, rotate in flight and hang to something on the ceiling ;D
I think the stables should have enough room for their wings ~10m wide, when they want to spread them to relax muscles. So the stables can have a lot openings to fresh air, so when they spread their wings, they would reach outside the stables. I wonder what these Megaras would like more a cave looking stable, or wooden, like for horses :s funny, mysterious mutated bats ;)

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2008, 04:12:42 pm »
The winch good for mines and landing platforms.

EDIT, Crystal Space is supposed to decrease the needed computing for the linked elements AFAIK, so i don't think it would be treated as full 1729 faces. Nontheless it is stil a lot. The min and max distance for rendering can come in use there. There are like 30 faces, which can be rendered only when closer than like 10m. And the gears which are like ~1000 triangles can be fully rendered only when within 50m or so. Otherwise they would be drawn as 2d surfaces or something slightly more complicated.

Afterall it is taking a 4,72*PI*5,5 = 381m3 of space :>
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:33:28 am by Nikodemus »

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2008, 07:08:21 pm »
I've been improving upon the Vigesimi's Tower. If anything seems too advanced or ambitious, I'm sorry. The main value of the floor layouts is the ideas, I think.

I wasn't sure what should go on the 2nd floor. Any suggestions? Perhaps the offices of city officials?
Also, the cavity. I made the cavity in the same upside down pyramidal shape as the floor above it. I did adjust the size. All measurements on the side view should be accurate.

I may work on concepts for the stables next.

Nikodemus, the winch looks great. The 3D model helps explain the gear system.

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »
There's just over a week to go, folks: you may want to consider finalizing your concepts or polishing what you've got before phase II begins.

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2008, 03:16:23 pm »
Thanks for the update. Polishing and finalizing.

Plaza park

Changes to the model: The wall surrounding it goes 1 m from the plaza to the ground level of the park. The wall then extends another meter above the park to block out sound. The arching entrance should be wide enough for 2 people to pass side by side. The central circular path should be straighter and there should be another path along the wall. The ground slopes down from the walls towards the fountain. The stairs should be inside the walls. The tree with 3 Klyros statues goes on the pedestal in the center of the fountain. The statues are in spell casting poses, and water comes out of the places where the spell would form.
I talked about it with Nikodemus and Baldur.
In the tavern, the massive barrel should be on it's side.

Should everyone start getting the license signed and ready?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:37:02 pm by Zweitholou »

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2008, 11:16:04 am »
Representative images:

City:

Specific city structures:

Plaza park

Quarries:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:40:49 pm by Nikodemus »

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2008, 06:56:24 am »
I'm leaving the team. I'm leaving to Africa for a mission and won't be able to do any work, so I gues you can understand. Probably will play only web-based games through satelite connection. I just hope the lag won't be to big.

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2008, 08:45:21 am »
You take care, thanks for the input in the first face and the work you've made :) Hope you have fun in Africa!

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2008, 09:49:57 am »
I'm leaving the team. I'm leaving to Africa for a mission and won't be able to do any work, so I gues you can understand. Probably will play only web-based games through satelite connection. I just hope the lag won't be to big.

On behalf of the city contest, I accept your resignation. You're a terrible artist and an appalling man.

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2008, 02:54:02 pm »
I'm sorry to see you go. You've contributed a lot on the project, and have helped add a sense of realism to the buildings whenever my plans were too ambitious.  ;D  Enjoy the mission trip to Africa!  \\o//

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2008, 04:00:15 pm »
Oh man! the organizators just announced its was all Aprils joke and i'm going nowhere! Can you imagine? ;P
Good, i couldn't leave you guys just like that and go helping some random people I don't even know. Maybe i try next year? ;)

Jeraphon, so you didn't leave the setting? Really great! I hope Xillix will stay too! Will ya accept me back? ;P And you must be joking with the last part!