Author Topic: Freezing  (Read 1277 times)

simrec

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Freezing
« on: July 04, 2015, 04:39:18 am »
Hi
I am running 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Nvidia GeForce GTX 670/PCIe/SSE2. PS freezes the entire system on average every 20 minutes or so (but is erratic can go 1 hour). It is only PS that causes the freeze and I have to power off and on again to reboot. No other application causes this and sometimes I get an error message that PSclient(?) conflicted with SIGABRT. I have the gfx turned low, regularly clear the cache and have run the PS repair option. I notice that if PS is running and I run another program at the same same the system will freeze within a few minutes. Running the same programs without PS open will not freeze. Finally  I am using Nvidia binary driver 352.21 (open source). I have tried many other drivers but the problem persists

Fingers crossed some kind soul can help

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 02:34:14 am »
hi simrec, I'm running the same Ubuntu version with NVIDIA linux drivers 331.113 and I don't experience any problem. did you compile the drivers yourself?

P.S. the nvidia drivers are not opensource are you sure yo'r not using thenv opensource driers instead?

simrec

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 06:44:44 am »
Hi

Thanks for the reply

No I wouldn't even begin to know how to compile the drivers. I used the additional drivers option and installed from there

But it doesn't matter wht drivers I use (I have tried them all that I can find eg 311) and I still get the same problem

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 12:15:30 pm »
did you try cleaning your shader cache?

simrec

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 11:21:58 pm »
As I said in my original post I regularly clear the cache (from the settings option). Is there another cache I don't know about?

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 11:52:12 pm »
Does the freezing tend to happen more in some places than others?
For example, people have found that they have had issues like this that were triggered by fire, spell casting, music playing, or when in hydlaa.

simrec

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 12:12:38 am »
The freezing is random..even when, say I go to get a cup of tea and come back to a frozen screen. If anything increases the frequency, chat may do it and asI said in my original post I sometimes get a system crash message that PS caused a SIGABRT error

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:12:21 am »
Have you tried running a memory diagnostic overnight? (like memtest86+) I had an issue once where the system crashed when playing ps only because it utilized more memory than most of the apps that I normally used. Another symptom of this type of memory issue was that when I tried to copy huge files ( files about as large as system memory) I would see that the copied file was often different. ( can be verified using cksum command)

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling ps or downloading another copy and reinstalling?

simrec

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 04:36:42 am »
Yes I ran both memory tests

It was such a pain installing PS that I dont want to go thru that again..even with a GM helping it took 2 hours!!! And why? The check returns all is OK with PS

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 06:05:52 pm »
Had a similar problem with Ubuntu 12.04- it was so bad I switched back to Windows! Left my other machines at 11.10 until 13.04. I'm not running Ubuntu on anything at the moment but who knows what Windows 10 will bring.