Author Topic: Server Offline - August 29, 2008 through Sep 09, 2008  (Read 23241 times)

nerdful1

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Server Offline
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2008, 10:29:29 pm »
It costs something like 80 us dollars to buy a single copy of Spinrite, a tool I have used for years to fix hard drive issues.
Unlike peter norton and others that sold out to symantec and microsoft, this tool has fixed machines ten times its worth.
And Steve Gibson though not offering "free trial" etc on his flagship product offers tons of free utilities on his website to compensate.
So we should get the Singapore techs to say have you tried spinrite?
i will send 2 usd to PS if others will to use Spinrite on our server.
I miss Planeshift

keywords: twit.it, grc.com,

HolyPhoenix

• Traveller
  • Geek-Wannabe, and planeshift fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2008, 10:54:06 pm »
I don't think that the hard drive is necessarily the problem.  The hard drive is an easy failure to explain, an I believe we would have been told if it was that rather than just a failure. 
Where there art open source, there out monkeys and other bits of randomness.

Elvors

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2008, 01:33:28 am »
I talked to Xordan just a seconed ago over email, he said he was almost possitive something failed, but depending on what it is, it could be tommorow, could be next week, no one knows.

Now that's bad service from the server hoster. Hardware problems should be fixed within the hour normally, within six hours on weekends or when there are not enough hands available for other reasons, and within two days if it's difficult to find out what exactly failed and they don't want to replace the hardware.

Well, the current state is that laanx.fragnetics.com does not respond to pings, so either the server or the switches and routers that connect it to the Internet have some hardware failure. This has been the case for more than two days, so Fragnetics is either not half as competent as they say, or PlaneShift is very, very low priority for them.
Either way, I'd start looking for another sponsor. I can recommend several hosters with excellent service in Germany and an willing to contact them if that's desired; I'm pretty sure there are other in the world.

The alternative may be that the hard disk failed and the PS guys are struggling to get the data back because the last backup is weeks old. (I don't say it is so, it's just the only other possibility that I can imagine. In that case, I'm pretty sure the PS team will make sure they have a daily backup and a quick set-up plan for future hardware outages.)

It costs something like 80 us dollars to buy a single copy of Spinrite, a tool I have used for years to fix hard drive issues.

You need physical access to the machine to insert the boot medium and run Spinrite.
I don't think a trip to Singapore is a realistic option for a low-budget project like Planeshift :-)

Depending on what exactly went wrong, Spinrite may or may not be of help. If the problem is a bad block, Spinrite is just the right tool for the right job; however, given the suddenness of the outage, I suspect it's a faulty motherboard component, or a drive that refuses to spin up. In both cases, Spinrite is useless.
In the wake of hardware corruption, PS could have a corrupted file system. You'll need yet another set of tools to fix that.

(It *would* be helpful if the PS team said a bit more about the exact nature of the problem, some people here obviously have practical experience with various types of failure and can offer advice.)

gnomebuddy

• Traveller
  • known ingame as Resildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2008, 02:07:05 am »
I think we all have to remember that  our wonderful little rock is totally free, and as well as being open sourced, but we as a community while    enjoying the game are in fact beta testers and that we should accept the fact that things do break. it is my understanding fragnitics as been kind enough to offer there services at no cost and while this may put us on the lower end of priority. it does put the game in a higher end of afford ability,  ( to sleepy to spell right)
So on these facts alone they got my vote , thanks fragnitics and the planeshift team for your commitment and I hope things will get back up soon.     \\o// \\o// \\o//

Kieve

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Creative Hack
    • View Profile
    • KRS MediaWorks
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2008, 02:07:27 am »
I don't think a trip to Singapore is a realistic option for a no-budget project like Planeshift :-)

*Fixed* :D
For those getting antsy because the server's down, I would like to point something out:
The FA servers were down for roughly a full MONTH due to hardware issues, and the fixes were (expensive) out-of-pocket expenses, for a free site, no less. Donations were taken, and between those and paid ads on-site, the needed assets were invested and the hardware restored.

Stop and think about that for a moment.

Even with donations and paid ads, it took a full month for the site to come back online.
It's only been a couple days for us. So relax, pull up a lounge chair, and kick back. :)
Laanx will return to us in due time - until then, stewing and throwing around the usual tired suggestions won't help anyone.
* Kieve offers cookies for those actually bothering to read this post *

gnomebuddy

• Traveller
  • known ingame as Resildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2008, 02:11:47 am »
t's only been a couple days for us. So relax, pull up a lounge chair, and kick back. Smiley
Laanx will return to us in due time - until then, stewing and throwing around the usual tired suggestions won't help anyone.

got milk? O--)

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2008, 02:24:03 am »
it is my understanding fragnitics as been kind enough to offer there services at no cost and while this may put us on the lower end of priority. it does put the game in a higher end of afford ability,

I didn't realize that Fragnetics provided the server for free.  That makes a LOT more sense, then.  If I were the PS devs and I were paying for a server, a couple of days of downtime would, frankly, tick me off.  For a free server... then I'd have to say, 'hey, you get what you pay for' and relax.  As it is, I don't pay for PS--so I'm relaxed anyway. XD

MC1171611

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2008, 02:32:16 am »

* MC1171611 holds out his hands for cookies *

Piker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2008, 04:51:03 am »
I love how some people can speculatate and give advice about hardware issues with a server that's probably 1000's of miles away from them  ;D

Elvors

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2008, 05:43:04 am »
For those getting antsy because the server's down, I would like to point something out:
The FA servers were down for roughly a full MONTH due to hardware issues, and the fixes were (expensive) out-of-pocket expenses, for a free site, no less.

[...]

Even with donations and paid ads, it took a full month for the site to come back online.

The main problem wasn't fixing the hardware, it was that they had to pay for fixing it.
Usually, you rent a server, then the hosting provider is responsible for replacing broking hardware.

I think Planeshift needs a spare server, ready to step in if the main server fails.
I won't hold it against Fragnetics if they sponsor just the main server (I'd be extremely ungrateful if I did!), but in that case the PS team should start looking for a spare server sponsor.

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2008, 07:11:33 am »
I think they are suffering far more than just a simple piece of hard drive failure - their own website Fragnatics only came back online [barely] yesterday 1/9/08...   and the links on it were all agog...   Perhaps we are all too eager to want what is given free as if it were paid for? 
Having a second Hosting Server is not as simple as it sounds - it would have to be sycranised somehow I am guessing...

Lolitra goes back to entering competitions and reading 'stuff'.
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

radu

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2008, 07:28:36 am »
What  luck! The day I arrive it goes down? Oh well...back to Oberin for a while. I'll return to try this out.
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

Kieve

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Creative Hack
    • View Profile
    • KRS MediaWorks
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2008, 10:27:44 am »
* Kieve sets out chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, and a pitcher of milk with glasses *

Elvors

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2008, 10:28:44 am »
I think they are suffering far more than just a simple piece of hard drive failure - their own website Fragnatics only came back online [barely] yesterday 1/9/08...   and the links on it were all agog...

Ah, I didn't notice Fragnetics themselves being in trouble.
If that's the case, they'll probably be struggling for a while.
It raises an eyebrow to see no mention of trouble on their news page though. If we knew what hit Fragnetics we'd know whether we should return to Planeshift in hours, days, or weeks...

Perhaps we are all too eager to want what is given free as if it were paid for?

Just frustration at not being able to play.
In several cases frustration at not being able to help with make it happen.

Having a second Hosting Server is not as simple as it sounds - it would have to be sycranised somehow I am guessing...

Yes, synchronizing would require some work.
However, it can be done, and there's no rocket science involved.

Here's how:

Replicating the software would require setting up the check-in procedure so that the spare always gets an update whenever the main server is updated. If these updates go through some script (which is one of the first things multi-developer projects set up, usually), it's easy to make that script update the spare server along with the main one.
Replicating the database would require setting up a database on the spare and configuring it as a "slave" of the main server's database. I don't know what laanx.fragnetics.com uses, but if it's Mysql, this has been available for some time now :-)

As a final touch, the spare server should undergo some smoke testing. Nothing more embarassing than a spare that immediately crashes when it's supposed to fire up. To test, cut the stream of updates from the main server with a firewall rule and see whether the spare starts accepting connections from clients (those clients would also have to be cut off from main with a firewall rule).

Kieve, I'm ready to accept the milk and cookies now :-)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2008, 01:55:36 pm »
And *I* was mourning about missing XML report files.

I'll add strawberries, in case the Letter Z returns in the meantime.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty