Author Topic: /do command  (Read 397 times)

Jilerel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
/do command
« on: February 18, 2016, 05:04:55 pm »
The /do command. This is a really useful command, in the same state as the /me command.

For the people not used to it, it's used to make a description of the environment, without playing your character, and can be used in a multitude of places, where it could be a simple /me, or an OOC /tell, or... Nothing.

Case 1 : Fight scene
    A - /me tries to punch B in the face.
    B - /do B takes the punch right in the nose. He's now lying on the ground, stunned.
    A - /me chuckles as B falls.
    A - /do Can A see the blade in B's belt ?
    B - /do A can't, it's hidden by his jacket.
Printed :
    A tries to punch B in the face.
    B takes the punch right in the nose, He's now lying on the ground, stunned. The fist of A is now bloody from the punch [ B ]
    A chuckles as B falls.
    Can A see the blade in B's belt ? [ A ]
    A can't it's hidden by his jacket. [ B ]
Usefulness in this scene :
    First /do : There is not much usefulness here, but it allows for a more precise description of the scene.
    Second /do : Allow for precise details and knowing the boundaries of your RP, while keeping it IC, and not coming into OOC.

Case 2 : NPC RP
     A - /me asks Allelia a beer.
     A - /do Allelia smiles and hands A a beer mug.
     A - /me takes the mug, and hands it to B.
Printed :
     A asks Allelia a beer.
     A llelia smiles and hands A a beer mug. [ A ]
     A takes the mug, and hands it to B.
     It allows for to describe the behaviour of NPCs, and can be done to a multitude of situations ! Your guildhouse has a guard, and you want to make a RP with him, but sadly, you can't have someone to RP it ? Fake it !

Case 3 : Environment description
     A - /me looks around for any traces of infraction.
     B - /do There are a few scratches on the tree. Maybe a sword has done that.
     A - /me inspects the scratch.
     B - /do The scratch was done by a sabre. This can be seen by the orientation of the scratch ((I have no idea of what I'm writing.))
Printed :
     A looks around for any traces of infraction.
     There are a few scratches on the tree. Maybe a sword has done that. [ B ]
     A inspects the scratch.
     The scratch was done by a sabre. This can be seen by the orientation of the scratch [ B ]
     There is currently no way to describe the environment without getting OOC, or using books. Books can be fun, but if you are in a spontaneous RP, you can't always prepare that with books, and OOC informations isn't immersive at all, and can't be see by other players.

Case 4 : Detail telling.
     A - /me is lying on the operation table.
     A - /do His arms have been ripped off, and you can see, upon closer inspection, a small shard of wood inside his torso.
     B - /me doesn't notice the shard of wood and presses A's torso, pushing the shard inside him.
Printed :
     A is lying on the operation table.
     His arms have been ripped off, and you can see, upon closer inspection, a small shard of wood inside his torso.
     B doesn't notice the shard of wood and presses A's torso, pushing the shard inside him.
     Could be replaced by a /me, but the /do allows much more precise descriptions and allows more interactivity.

Anyway, leave your opinion !
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:07:03 pm by Jilerel »

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
Re: /do command
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:12:26 pm »
:woot: It'll be sooo useful in RP! \\o//

Not yet implemented? I believe this would be a great command to have, though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:22:31 pm by Tidebringer »
Buy some goods, sell some bads, at the Weekly Hydlaa Market!
You might know me as Fesara Fuhay: Herbalist, Scribe, and Aspiring Healer ;)

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:14:19 am »
We had an interesting topic about exactly this.
Allow me to quote myself to give you an abstract:

That's something that also came to my mind after chaining some /me statements. Certainly each line beginning with a name tag makes it easier to keep track of the dialog/action/ mixed wall of text, and that's probably the reason for the restrictions here. Maybe a compromise could help where the name tag is first displayed in brackets, and thereafter you can place some narrative text, just as you would do with /me or /my. Maybe for the above example:

/narrate The ring of steel striking steel can be heard reverberating through the sewers as Aramara raises her shield to block her enemy's battle axe.

[Aramara] The ring of steel striking steel can be heard reverberating through the sewers as Aramara raises her shield to block her enemy's battle axe.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:43:51 pm »
If something like this is implemented, it would be wise to have the player's name put in parentheses before the sentence following the /do command.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows