Author Topic: Roleplay Preferences: List Yours Here  (Read 2620 times)

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplay Preferences: List Yours Here
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 01:52:15 am »
-Casual, everyday RP - regular conversations, characters doing their jobs, etc
-Romance (I get suggestive at times if I know you're cool with that, but I don't cyber). Also, IC flirtation without the intention of playing out a romance.
-People who ensure I'm not on one of my child characters before attempting the above.
-Having my description acknowledged - I don't expect you to have an encyclopedic knowledge of my character, but do take a peek at the currrent stuff.
-ICly learning about the settings my characters might not know
-Enmities/Rivalries that don't involve killing or maiming each other outright
-OOC banter while I'm not too busy - I like getting to know the ones pulling the strings. Especially true if we're talking about our characters.
-Artsy characters
-Disabled/Mentally Challenged/other easily-judged characters that are played well
-Mysterious characters/Characters with secrets (especially if mine get to find out!)
-My characters effecting other ones and vice versa
-Roleplayed-out fights and/or duels with solid IC reasons and RP leading up to them
-Descriptive, creative posts
-RP outside of the smith or tavern (especially DR RP)
-Descriptions that appeal to as many senses as possible (I want to know what your character smells like!)
-RP objects (if you don't have a prop, make a book with a description)
-Realistic villians (y'know...characters that aren't like the first point below dislikes there.)

Dislikes:

-Posession RP. Haven't seen it in a while, but still, just...don't. And what I refer to as 'cartoon villains' (even though I'll defend animation for the most part >>) - if your character goes "Mwahahaha I'm so evil!!!!1!!!" or may as well, then don't bother trying to play that one with me. The only people I've seen irl that call themselves evil are either severely depressed or teenagers trying and failing to be cool.
-Being ignored (at least, OOCly).
-Getting dragged into someone else's OOC drama. I'll listen to you vent, but I won't take sides.
-Mary Sues & Godmoding
-The insitance that I play out every little action by my character. If I RP her "picking up her pie and taking a bite", it should be obvious that she used her hand and not a fork. Long posts good, purple prose bad.
-Fights in front of guards, especially IC scoffing that would logically get the offending character a beating.
-On that note, ignoring realism to the extent that even in a land where magic exists and death is temporary, your character's behavior is hard to swallow
-On the other extreme, being so realistic that you snub magic. I realize it's better if you can't just magick everything away but don't be all elitist about it.
-People that have never interacted with others because they're making assumptions based on hearsay - this is only acceptable as IC behavior.
-OOC bleed (mixing OOC/IC, taking OOC offense to my character flipping yours off or something)
-RP degenerating into OOC arguing
-Sheer mindless murderdeathkill RP...have a motive, and do it cleverly please.
-Prioritizing leveling over RP
-The attitude that RP-fighting isn't "real gaming". Maybe I don't want to spend a month hitting one button and standing in one place so I can beat you in a friggin' duel. Maybe I want to play out doing something mechanics can't do, like trying to trip or outsmart your character.
-HUGE groups and/or overcrowded areas (especially when there's like, 30 people crowded around one GMNPC)...at the very least let's put the names of the characters we're addressing in each post so we can follow it, if not move out of /say range of the guys that have nothing to do with us.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:36:23 pm by Candy »
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »
-Roleplay within the setting of PlaneShift.

Dislikes:
-Going overboard or beyond peoples limits. Respect these likes and dislikes!
-Godmodding.
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

RoberetGoldsmith

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 05:29:13 pm »
A nice idea

-Conflicts between organisations. Tension between guilds etc. Its ace.
-Kinda linked to that, just when one group puts into action an RP in which others have to respond to. When done right, its ace.
-The Den, markets etc Player run things like that are the best and its what seperates the game from many others. Its ace.
-All the player made culture- Books, songs, poems, newspapers etc. Always fun to read or listen to and really shows the strength of the RP quality here.
-Casual RP- Okay the big plots and all that are always cool but nothing wrong with casualness. Tavern babble,anvil conversation or Plaza talk.
- Complex characters- Points been made pretty well In other posts. Well thought out characters are the best to RP with and fun to come up with aswell. Not saying that as soon as you start out you should have your character completely figured out and boom that should be it. Letting what happens IG with your character, letting it effect how he is, is ace. Roberet is an example of that :)

Dislikes-
The whole debate over RP fighting- Personally I think it should just be about the RP and leave out the mechanics stats. The grinding sucks not everyone is going to spend hours making their character into a stats maxed guy in order to back up their character's RP.

Getting up tight about it all. -Granted if someone is just not being in the spirit of everything then a lil intervention is nice. But having a butthurt moment over something or someone is a waste of your energy. It's also a lil silly too.

Cybering- Think the term you guys are looking for is Erotic Role Playing, learn your stuff c'mon! But no its not for me, or this game I suspect. But the amount of times I've had mariana or Teshia coming up to my character and start trying that shit is just unreal.  I get it, I set out my characters to be ones that would obviously be a hit with all the ladies but I think a little restraint would go very far. Glad I got that off my chest guys. See you IG x. 

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 11:15:21 pm »
But the amount of times I've had mariana or Teshia coming up to my character and start trying that shit is just unreal.  I get it, I set out my characters to be ones that would obviously be a hit with all the ladies but I think a little restraint would go very far. Glad I got that off my chest guys. See you IG x.

* Mariana Xiechai plucks up the diamond-encrusted neutering axes and slides her eyes over towards Teshia, grinning wickedly.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 02:18:01 am »
Mari Mari, quite contrary... I had no idea!   :devil:

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 03:44:31 am »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Naira

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 09:59:58 am »
- Character development !! I want there to be a reason for every action I play out with my character. And more often then not I will have a reason, Naira might not be so comfortable with out right answering a why question but there is always a reason for her actions.
- Long drawn out conversations with no real direction. I like seeing how actions and reactions to subtleties in words play out. Especially when meeting someone new. You never know what will what is a sore spot or vice versa for that person.
- Details Galore  \\o// I love finding a super long description, whether or not I even talk with them, I just love finding that detail filled description and diving right into. I rarely rp with strangers for IC reasons, but I have read almost every description that ran past me or ran over me with a rivnak.. gotta keep a list of those pedestrian manglers.
- Getting a song to sound pretty nifty with the in game music composer.
- Rp that is just drowning in walls and waterfalls of text. I put a lot of time and thought into my character Naira. With that I want it to show. If I said left hand and not just a hand .. yes there is a reason dun dun dunnnn. :detective:
-Finding Rp out and about the wilds. It is easy to walk past the smiths or the tavern and see if there is someone but i have always found those extremely random encounters the most entertaining.
- /harvest ... with a sickle ! an ax just looks dumb.

Dislikes:
-Acronyms , I hate them. Especially when you are new. You are treated like a leper for what one means and more often then not those who love to use solely acronyms have delusions of grandeur about them.
-tl;dr  I honestly had no idea what this acronym was till I played this game and it is sad. You are playing a text driven role playing game genius. I realize it is not everyone's cup of tea to have reasons and story driven character development and details piled onto every sentence. But I have yet to find an acronym as offensive as this one is to me.
- modern terms used IC. example SoandSo  calls TheirFriend with their cellphones. Seriously, why even play a game with a given time period if you are going to walk around using slang and modern technologies ?
- Players who enjoy being trolls. If I could I would build a bridge for each and everyone of you to have and hold and cherish for your very own. But I haven't figured out a way to open a portal to the multiverse yet, little alone how to trap you on the other side.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 12:53:44 pm »
Le likes!

• Suggest, don't show - This includes, but is not limited to: erotism (within PG-13, if that can be), hints about players, events...
  • Scarcely decorated guildhouses, but with a style hard to match, elegant and practical. Brevis si bonus bis bonus!
  • Political intrigues. I can't emphasize this enough. Clashes between guilds, assassinations, convenience marriages, even wars. I find the lack of these... disturbing.
  • Mild romance, but not Twilight-like, diabeetus-inducing lovestories. I want it good, I want it sugar-free, and I want to fight and reconciliate.
  • Point five intentionally left blank
  • RPing what you train, and training what you RP. Different concepts, and not always related.
  • One-liners, semi-para, para, GODDAMNED WALL OF TEXT! I love them all.
  • Welcoming other players into an RP group actively. Like two players RPing in the tavern who welcome another lonely RPer into their conversation.
  • Kind players - The most important point of the list.
  • Detailed descriptions. Yes! I want to know how you smell. Yes! I want to know what's your eye color. Yes! I want to know more about your jewelry!.
  • Diverse, different characters. Fat, thin, tall, short, old, young... I don't care! Break the mould of the default healthy character with a perfect build and put flaws in your toons!

Le dislikes...

• Nosy GMs <.<
  • Nosy players!
  • Grinders laughing at me because I RP - or at other players because of the same. If you're in this game and you don't RP there's something very wrong with you, so stop laughing and either go on without bothering others, or find another game.
  • "Oldbies" criticising "newbies" because they used to grind or whatever, and they want to roleplay now. You know who you are, stop doing that.
  • Overly detailed descriptions. No! I care little about how big are your breasts - or any otherman/lady part for that matter. I will determine if your scent/odor is pungent, thank you very much. Oh, and it's up to me to consider if you're beautiful or handsome, also.
  • Mary Sue & Marty Stu
  • Soap operas.

Basically I like almost everything everyone else likes, and dislike almost everything everyone else dislikes.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 02:36:17 pm »
Mari Mari, quite contrary... I had no idea!   :devil:

* Mariana Xiechai puts on her football helmet and CRASH TACKLES the diaboli. "Shaddap, you!"

Zazhia

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2012, 04:51:04 pm »
- People who dare to RP. Like really RP. Especially when it comes to newbies, who really do their best, not being ashamed/frightened by making small mistakes.
- People who can make you forget that Yliakum isn't real. Even if only for a brief moment.
- People encouraging newbies to learn from them. I try to do it myself by pointing that smileys in main and chat language is, to me at least, annoying. In a polite way - of course.
- People having a character who is extremely different to what you see most of the time. Mute characters (I remember a dwarf who really impressed me), extremely socially awkward characters and characters speaking their opinion for instance. And people RP'ing having or being children.
- Detailed descriptions, but I not background stories. I'd rather figure that out IC. Different opinions on that one, I am very aware of that.
- People using "body language" with their characters.
- People staying IC.
- People being able to remember previous conversations, and if not, make it part of their RP.
- People being creative within the settings. "Making up" spells and things for RP-reasons.
- People loving their characters. I love Zazhia. Madly. I love letting her learn from mistakes, make her change her personality, let her change clothes, views and opinions, learn new stuff. I love making her "real", even if only for short moments. I sometimes miss her if I am gone for a few days.  :love:
- Short plots. Or longer plots, which are possible to take breaks from or to join and leave from time to time.

Dislikes:

- Extreme text walls (I like details, but not the irrelevant ones)
- Overly detailed descriptions. I would like to make Zazhia have her own impression of the people she meets.
- People forcing me to feel something special about the RP-situation.
- People writing chat language and smileys in main-tab. (It SERIOUSLY annoys me)
- Spotlight stealers. Be welcome to join my RP, but please don't randomly break in in the middle of a serious conversation. It may work if you character is socially awkward and is RP'ed that way.
- People spreading rumours about players and characters.
- People having trouble seperating IC and OOC knowledge. It can really ruin a good flowing RP.
- Godmodding.
- Snobs.
- Cybering. No thanks. I am occupied why my man at home. I can RP intimate situations to a certain limit, and will do it if appropriate.

I might at some stuff to both lists later on, but that is all I can think of for now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:44:01 pm by Zazhia »

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 05:49:41 pm »
D: How did I miss this thread?

*Characters that are complex, and require months to truly unravel their motives. 
*Vulnerability in characters.  Both physically and emotionally.  No person is ever 100% immune to anything.  It's one thing to say your character got such and such battle scar in their youth, and an entirely different matter to RP out them being wounded, or traumatized and to keep writing the consequences. 
*Characters that screw up.  It shows a certain maturity of the player when they can put their character into embarrassing or uncomfortable situations.
*Characters that change over time.  People don't stay the same, neither should characters.  The RPs they are in should change their motives, beliefs and actions over time. 
*Players who take the time to RP with and help new players.  It's not always easy or fun to stop what you're doing and walk a new character around Hydlaa, but if I see someone doing that, I'm a thousand times more likely to seek that person out for RP.
*RP fights between small numbers of players, especially where the characters fight realistically.  My RP fighting motto is to err on the weaker side, and I love to RP with people who don't play as if they have the skill/power of Vodul. 

Dislikes:
*When a player doesn't type anything atall because "their character has nothing to say."  It's just as easy to type "X watches silently" or "X listens intently" or "X falls into a stupor, utterly tuned out to those around him."  It may not seem like much, but simply putting SOMETHING down lets the other players know that you are still paying attention, even if you're not actively speaking, so that they don't sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for your reply.
*Child characters.  Yup, I have one myself, but I'm not crazy about them.  Most of the time I find them tedious to write, and while some players write them brilliantly, they aren't my absolutely favorite type of RP to be in. 
*Daily tavern RP.  As in, going to the tavern and having a drink, talking about the weather.  I have enough monotony in my own life, and I don't want that to be the mainstay of my "recreation" time here. 
*Players who nitpick inconsequential details OOCly in main/tells.  A little [joking] here and there is fine, but harping on details ruins the whole ambiance.  I've had people send me /tells for literally 15 minutes straight about two typos in my OOC description.  There is no reason atall to make it your personal mission in life to eradicate spelling and grammatical errors on the internet, and if you do, then take it somewhere other than me.
*Large group RPs.  I'm actually fairly shy and uncomfortable in groups larger than 5-6 people.  GM events are pretty nervewracking for me, and markets are a nightmare.  2-4 people is my preferred size of RP. 
*Delusional Ylian males (like Roberet) who think attempted murder counts as cybering attempts.  OH WAIT! This totally is your way of writing a character with sub-par flirtation ability D'OH! Please redirect this up to Like #2.  :love:
*PVP magic duels or attacks.  If a rabid ulbernaut rampages through a market... RP with it it.  Don't mage-spam it.  Sure, it's IC for your character to "instantly and furiously attack said beast with a volley of energy arrows, psychic darts or a few fists of the volcano," but it's more fun for everyone if you TYPE it instead of /shortcut it.  I honestly wish GMs would set their event characters to not accept /challenges or /attacks.
*Unrealistic RP fighting, or lynch mobbing.  Players should respond to attacks, which becomes difficult in mobbing, as the villain cannot keep up.  And I cannot stand to watch one villain being bombarded by 5 or 6 people who all want to Slay the Villain.  Also, just because the character is an enki doesn't mean it can do 15 backflips, 2 quarter turns, land in a split and simultaneously cast 3 flying stones while dodging 9 arrows and their own animated shadow.  Just because kra's a kran doesn't mean they can have an anvil dropped on their head and keep on grinning.  Just because mechanics isn't currently allowing it doesn't mean a klyros can't glide for a short distance. 
*Rolling. I'll do it if the other player insists, but I honestly can't stand it.  I'd rather see a creative RP attempt than a "/roll 6 for 1, darn I lost."
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 05:28:42 am »
(Since my predecessor's response was inadequate, here is my full list of roleplay likes and dislikes.)

• A balance of casual and intense roleplay.
  • Lucid and eloquent writing.
  • Intrigue, diplomacy, and war.
  • Heavy use of religion: it is as important, if not more, in Planeshift than in our world.
  • Earned power.
  • Customs of courteous roleplay behavior.
Dislikes:
  • Characters who roleplay skills at expert level or above in magic AND melee at the same time. It is godmodding.
  • Poor writing.
  • An excess of unearned power.
  • Incorrect roleplay of death. It is a horrific and draining experience.
  • Discourteous attendance to the rules and customs of roleplay.