Author Topic: Crash after Crash  (Read 989 times)

Stallias

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Crash after Crash
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:41:46 am »
I keep having crash after crash after crash. I was able to create a character and load the game. But there are so many spots that I get crash after crash, it's ridiculous. I use an Intel laptop with Windows 7 OS. I'm not sure how to get the stats for it, since it was handed down from my oldest sister. However, she had it built specifically for gaming. when I view the details of crash report, I get this:

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA3FC.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
  C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB97F.tmp.appcompat.txt
  C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBD29.tmp.mdmp

I don't understand what that means. I can't get the game to even update on my desktop because it says something about not having the permission to do so. I don't know how to change administrator permissions or I would do so and play the game on my desktop. that also has the Windows 7 OS.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Crash after Crash
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:00:30 am »
Welcome to the PlaneShift forums...

I use an Intel laptop with Windows 7 OS.

"Laptop" already sounds bad; they often don't have specific "gaming hardware".

I'm not sure how to get the stats for it

How many of the previous topics about crashes did you not read? Certainly those recommending e.g. HWiNFO as free and powerful system analysis tool (use the green "↓ DOWNLOAD INSTALLER" buttons near the bottom and select e.g. the "Local (U.S.)" link for the Windows 32-bit version).

The most interesting part of information about your PC is certainly your graphic chipset. You should use the most recent drivers provided by its manufacturer; never rely on graphic drivers installed via the Windows Update, they often lack in support for the OpenGL graphics interface which multi-platform games like PlaneShift prefer over the Windows-only Direct3D interface.

I can't get the game to even update on my desktop because it says something about not having the permission to do so.

Use the Windows Explorer; navigate to the directory where PlaneShift was installed into (e.g. C:\Program Files\PlaneShift); right-click the pslaunch.exe; select "Run as Administrator".

This was documented in dozens of threads before...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:03:26 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Stallias

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:43:26 am »
@ LigH - i'm able to play the game on my desktop just fine, except for having zero sound. i'm downloading the program you gave me.

- EDIT -
Actually, i'm just gonna use my desktop for this game. it'll be less of a hassle than trying to get it to work on my laptop.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:03:31 am by Stallias »

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:29:32 am »
LigH, I wouldn't say dozens.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 12:01:32 pm »
Not? ... At least it felt like this, it's usually a recurring question. Therefore, sorry for getting slightly emotional. ;)
__

Regarding sound ... check the settings while you are in the launcher, make sure that the sound engine is set to "OpenAL". But it should be the default, and usually it's quite reliable.

Later in game, you can switch off or turn down the volume of different sound source groups you might find annoying. But I believe you should try to have heard them, their developers deserve some regard too; at least once.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 03:00:21 pm »

Stallias

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 03:24:23 pm »
i'm just gonna use my desktop for this game. and funny thing just happened. i had the game minimized for a while. before I minimized it, no sound. pull it back up: SOUND! i don't know what my desktop PC did to bring the sound back, but i'm happy. i'll just go on using desktop for this game, it's simpler.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 03:31:15 pm »
Good to see you can get on. \\o//

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 03:45:03 pm »
I hope we can help you progressing in game just as easily. Even if the game is not yet perfect, the community tries to make up for it.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 04:03:18 am »
I hope we can help you progressing in game just as easily. Even if the game is not yet perfect, the community tries to make up for it.

:thumbup:
LigH is right the game is far from perfection but we try to improve it as best as we can and if you can point out bugs and feedbacks (possibly in a nice way) that will be very appreciated.
In the meanwhile I would like to point you to the new player's guide being made by players for players: http://planeshift.top-ix.it/pswiki/index.php?title=Player_Guide:_Arcane_Chrysalis