Author Topic: Lots of crashes in 0.6.0  (Read 1475 times)

Darryel

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of crashes in 0.6.0
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 02:37:21 am »
I also suffer random crashes in the day, I got the graphics set in low and got the sounds deactivated.
The crash happen when I change the region, cast a spell and work in my professions.Also when the crash happens I had to delete the shadercache to play.
Any tips from the Dev team?

By the way, a game booster helps?
I'm asking because my pc has higher specs than the recommended ones.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 03:51:49 am »
Clearing the shader cache is only required once, if the game content changed considerably since you played for the last time. While there was no art update, it should not be necessary and even useful anymore.

Stating that the PC has "higher specs" is not really helpful; it would be better to know the facts in detail, most important is the graphics chipset and the driver version, but also the amount of RAM and the type of CPU is important. In general, do not rely on graphic drivers installed by Microsoft Windows (original during Windows installation or via Microsoft Update), because they may support only Direct3D well, whereas PlaneShift uses the OpenGL 3D API. The manufacturer of the graphic chipset, mainboard, or the whole system in case of a laptop, should provide a driver with complete support of graphic features. Similar advice for Linux: Depending on the graphic chipset, the proprietary closed-source drivers may support features better and more complete; but OpenSource drivers should already be reliable enough as well (e.g. 'nvidia' is quite certain to be good, but 'nouveau' shall be suitable as well, I was told).

I don't know what a "game booster" shall be. Games usually run better with less "software debris" installed.

A quite common reason for crashes is the filling RAM while you travel between different maps. Depending on the setting of the "Background loader", the system tries to pre-load and cache a different amount of content of the adjacent maps while you pass a map-loading portal in game (e.g. the Hydlaa-East passage, or the forest junction). If you select no background loading, loading a map takes a lot more time while passing the portal, but won't load much content anymore while traveling, that may make the experience more stable.

If you have a 64-bit OS, you can test if the 32-bit client or the 64-bit client runs better. The 64-bit client can use more RAM and can avoid better possible crashes by running out of free RAM while loading a map, but requires a 64-bit version of your OS. In general it is a good idea not to run much other software in the background while playing a game. Even disabling a resident antivirus module before playing may help.

Disabled sound can be a reason for a crash too. It was once; not sure how well this has been fixed. Setting the audio in the launcher to "OpenAL" is still recommendable.

Playing the game in full-screen mode should be quite safe now. But it may be more convenient to play in windowed mode instead. It may be a little annoying that you have to select the aspect ratio first before selecting a desired resolution; if you edit a configuration file manually, you can even set up almost any size just a little below your desktop resolution (preferably multiples of 16 though) to get an "almost fullscreen" window.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:57:48 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Calmus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 05:17:32 am »
do you use proprietary graphics drivers? Without them this game is really far too crashy and quite unplayable.

If you have the patience, you can also try to compile the last developer version of PlaneShift.
Here is a guide: http://svn.code.sf.net/p/planeshift/code/trunk/docs/compiling.html

I compiled the client recently on a Debian system, and the client is considerable more stable for me. But the compiling guide, isn't really completely comprehensive or up-to-date. For example in the Debian specific guide there is the hint that automake1.8 must be used, but actually with automake1.10 it works too. Also it doesn't seem to list all packages I have to install in order for crystalspace to succesfully compile and run. My firsts attempts to compile it failed.

For me not everything is better with the compiled client though. Mobs movement is a bit bugged.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:22:23 am by Calmus »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 06:44:58 am »
Please note that the developer version may become incompatible with the release game server sometimes. Compiling is not the immediately recommendable solution. Especially not for users on Windows or Mac OS X (the Windows Release is usually quite well tested, and the Mac version almost impossible to recreate without in-depth knowledge of several developer quirks).

Darryel did not even mention his operating system yet. No use in guessing.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Ulfer

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Sovereign, The Bloodstone Brethren
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 04:57:37 pm »
I'm not saying that this will work for everybody but I ran PS on Windows 8.1 and I've noticed that enabling compatibility mode to Windows 7 (or even Windows Vista SP 2), PS crashes less frequently.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:59:09 pm by Ulfer »

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 03:33:04 am »
Hmmm, I'm sorry to say, the original topic is wrong. My crashes clearly relate to the carrying of a masters wand (cw). Lots of segfaults (especially when mount/unmounting) or crossing map boundaries. Added it to a relevant bug in flyspray....

The starting of this with 0.6 was clearly coincidental.
Sorry for putting people on a wrong track.

Have fun!
Glad to meet you :)