Author Topic: How to steal a whisper?  (Read 977 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
How to steal a whisper?
« on: December 28, 2013, 06:28:40 pm »
Yes, it may be a little inconvenience, but I never understood how it goes wrong, and because it can go wrong, it must be a bug...

I noticed several times that people are writing a reply to a whisper (/tell), and if I send them one just before they send them, this reply goes to me, instead of the addressed character.

The only syntax of this command I know is:

Code: [Select]
/tell <firstname> <text>
So if the command already contains the first name of the addressed character, how can it be sent to another one?

Is there a different syntax (not known to me) which sends the reply to the sender of the last received whisper, not containing the explicit name? This is the only way I can imagine how it can be redirected accidently.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:30:16 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: How to steal a whisper?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:36:10 pm »
The command you typed never goes wrong, but if they use the Whisper chat tab instead and if you send them one /tell just before they send the /tell they're typing their reply goes to you instead of the other character.

Sajut

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 07:42:50 pm »
in the "Whisper" tab of the chat you can answer to the last incoming tell without "/tell <name>" before <text>.
I prefer the use of "/tell <name>" to avoid the problem you describe.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:48:04 pm »
Indeed. I always use the shortcut to reply which prepares the textline.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:48:43 am »
After the first "/tell charname text" if "charname" answer you then it's nomore necessary to specify the command, you can simply write in whisper tab and the reply will reach "charname" (one could call it the lazy way  :sweatdrop:). But if someone whispers to you just before you type "enter", your reply will not reach "charname", it will be sent to the last whisperer.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 06:45:28 am »
There are a number of ways to avoid sending a tell to someone you didn't mean to.

The first has been mentioned, which is using the "/tell name text" (eg. /tell Venalan Sorry, miss tell.).

The second is to press 'f' when the cursor is not in a text entry box, otherwise you just type f. This (on windows) brings up the chat window and automatically adds "/tell name" where name is the last person who sent you a tell. Then you just add the text you want to send and press enter.

The third is to double click a name in your buddy list. This opens up a new window for entering text, once you send it it sends the text in the form of a tell to the person you double clicked on. This is pretty much the only way i send tells.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 01:08:12 pm »
This is pretty much the only way i send tells.

Yay, I'm on your buddy list! <3
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 05:03:34 am »
I always press the "Reply" shortcut key, so I never had issues because that prepares the "/tell charname " command.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador