Author Topic: Kran nouns, both amateur and pro  (Read 1447 times)

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
Re: Kran nouns
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 07:08:53 pm »
All for a silly thing, eh?

So, I need to amend one more thing, then I'll be done here. :woot:
There are few kran in Gugrontid with ‘S’ in their names.  I've been away from PlaneShift for a while, and so I must've forgotten about them when I went through this and revised it. :-[
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Kran nouns
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 05:51:03 am »
By having only one form of the pronoun, you will need to rephrase and complicate that statement
Complicated and simple sentences are really subjective to the reader and to what they are used to, what to use is complicated may simply be clear to another and what we find a normal sentence may be overly convoluted to another. But at this point I'm really just arguing about the general topic rather how specifically about the kran/lemur language in particular.

Were you suggesting that a kran dialect, or the whole of the Kranic–Lemurian language, lacks the distinction between objective and subjective pronouns — thus handling them syntactically the same as English does its nouns?

following my line of thinking it seems I might have, which isn't that reasonable if I too want to keep the grammar the same as egnlish. For the most part I agree with you save for the actuall choices it seems.

As for the 'c' I'll stay with my point that, especially because it's used at the end, it may seem to quite a few people as a 'k'.

Also supposedly every character's first language supposedly is Common, with only more recent interests in the older languages of the races.(according to the wiki atleast for what that is worth) That said, dialect almost certainly exists between the levels if not the communities and or races. so in general nolthrir would likely have less contact with kran so might be less comfortable with their pronouns.

A possible reason for why they used "kra" might be that it is most closely to kran out of those, therefore it is more self evident to the reader making it easier to pick up without being told. which may also be the reason they thought of it, it's very close to kran.

You guys have too much spare time!!!  :D :D :D

Well, everyone should have too much time for what they enjoy :P
Larili Soriol

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Kran nouns, both amateur and pro
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 07:34:43 pm »
The work put into this is admirable, but keep the audience in mind- most of whom would struggle with simply staying in character or writing any more than a sentence.  ;D