Author Topic: Is there a map of the planeshift overworld/underworld somewhere?  (Read 26119 times)

Bubba

• Traveller
  • (Ogul Rakhas)
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a map of the planeshift overworld/underworld somewhere?
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2008, 01:03:02 am »
Bamko,

Thanks for the tips and tweaks regarding camera settings and such. I will definately try some of those out.  :)

Yet - and this will be the last I will say on the topic, as I realize that both the development team as well as the 'vets' around here are bored to tears with the topic - I stand by my original position. Another player was recently kind enough to provide me with some very rough but extremely helpful maps, and now I feel that I have a much better orientation of where I am in Yliakum at any given time. My previous frustration level due to navigating dropped to zero as soon as I had an idea of where the major centers were, and how they were connected. Now I am prepared and actually looking forward to exploring all of the regions that s/he wisely left vague enough to be tantalizing prospects of future adventure.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it wasn't the wandering that bothered me. On the contrary, I consciously chose to go off wandering. What bothered me was not knowing where I was in the "bigger scheme of things", so to speak. Some may find that exciting, and I can respect that. Others, however, simply find it annoying - and all the more so seeing as it would seem entirely avoidable if a map and/or compass were offered as an optional feature.

Regardless, the problem has been solved for me, and I won't bother anyone about it any longer. Thanks for your comments.  :)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 01:08:23 am by Bubba »

My Specs:
Model: HP s3230
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E4500 2.20 GHz
Graphics Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 2400 [HPvs19]
Memory RAM: 2.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit OS

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2008, 01:29:44 pm »
There will be a compass of sorts, but not based on a magnetic North, which Yliakum does not have. We will never have the fog of war minimap that a lot of folks are used to, but may eventually have a compromise of some sort. In any case, you will always have to have an actual map(s) in your possession.

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2008, 04:29:39 am »
It has been a month or two since I checked every book in the library, but it seems to me a decent map like bubba discussed should be there... I mean, there is a book which describes the currency....

nothing too detailed, as I am sure the merchants prefer most to not travel at all, eh?  and maybe a few "here be monsters" sections... based on where merchants do not go... or where monsters exist!

My post was not to diminish the ingame value of maps... Though I can see how that could be infered.. It was to point out the the problem almost everyone I have helped ingame actually had. 

As I mentioned, a friend of mine used to have maps, and I used to have some of those to pass out. 

Ingame there rises book sellers and map sellers and shops every so often... I think if the map the library sold was updated a bit.  it is too simple to be much use (assuming it has not been updated since I was a newb).

ok.. to game!

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2008, 04:48:57 am »
There will be a compass of sorts, but not based on a magnetic North, which Yliakum does not have. We will never have the fog of war minimap that a lot of folks are used to, but may eventually have a compromise of some sort. In any case, you will always have to have an actual map(s) in your possession.

I totally support the lack of an automap/minimap, but I'm dying without a compass.  I wandered for two hours earlier tonight, unable to find any trace of civilization after getting lost.  :/

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2008, 05:04:47 am »
  I wandered for two hours earlier tonight, unable to find any trace of civilization after getting lost.  :/

did you try the camera things I suggested? I can not deduce your player name from your post, or I would contact y ou.  <hint you can deduce mine from my posting name!>

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2008, 04:56:21 pm »
Sorry... couldn't resist adding my 2 trias...

Compass held in right hand, custom or purchased map in mind slot... produces a minimap that rotates with orientation. That would be ideal, AND IC. I would also not be able to hold a weapon in the hand with the compass. So... detailed example...

1. Walking in bdroad (nothing equipped) shows nothing.
2. Walking in bdroad with compass in right hand, shows a compass arrow pointing to ref point.
3. Walking in bdroad with map in mind slot shows a stationary map.
4. Walking in bdroad wtih map in mind slot and compass in right hand shows map that will change orientation with compass arrow.

This simulates a real person walking around with these tools... also, a map would be necessary for each region, just like real world... so no "fog of war"... but real navigation.

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2008, 08:02:43 pm »
  I wandered for two hours earlier tonight, unable to find any trace of civilization after getting lost.  :/

did you try the camera things I suggested? I can not deduce your player name from your post, or I would contact y ou.  <hint you can deduce mine from my posting name!>

Best thing I've done so far is turn off the adaptive details (as you suggested) and turn my details up all the way to 1000.  Now I can actually use distant peaks and such to navigate.  I'd still love more navigation features (preferably as IC as possible), but this is a huge improvement! :)

yanom

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2008, 04:22:34 pm »

but they don't show you much. but you can use some of the spikes jutting up from the ground outside hydlaa and the yalinkum map to find your way around, just by pure dead reckoning

*edit*

also, LinkN64's map didn't have the kran place on it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 05:21:48 pm by neko kyouran »

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2008, 06:57:16 am »
Since the dev's want something unique to the PS world, are against a mini-map (me too), don't want a magnetic North compass, how about one that always points to the crystal since that is the focus of the world?  That would at least let you get your bearings and help you understand how all the zones are tied together relatively.  That type of compass would seem to fit within the bounds of the game design.  It should be purchasable in game.  It also means that level designers will have to keep their layouts consistent, something they're probably doing now, but not sure if everything has been designed that way in the past.

(didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this idea has been posted)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2008, 09:40:33 am »
There is no reason why a compass should not be magnetic. We know nothing about the composition of the stalactite and surrounding cavern or what sort of a magnetic field it has. There could be significant variations in mineral deposits that affect the stalactite in such a way that we could have a magnetic compass that did not mirror our IRL experience of NSEW. Other than that, the crystal would make the most sense as a source of detectable radiation. Such a device could probably also indicate what level one was on.

neko kyouran

« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2008, 10:19:58 am »
There is no reason why a compass should not be magnetic. We know nothing about the composition of the stalactite and surrounding cavern or what sort of a magnetic field it has. There could be significant variations in mineral deposits that affect the stalactite in such a way that we could have a magnetic compass that did not mirror our IRL experience of NSEW. Other than that, the crystal would make the most sense as a source of detectable radiation. Such a device could probably also indicate what level one was on.

http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=30155.0

Sliding_Points

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2008, 09:33:00 am »
Wait, the player can select the parent's profession as being a Cartographer, and there are maps of the world?  :beta:

yanom

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »
Players make em.
How do you make maps? Tell me tell me tell me!!!!!!!!!!

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2008, 03:49:40 pm »
Players make em.
How do you make maps? Tell me tell me tell me!!!!!!!!!!
buy a map from a certain library and then right click on it you will be presented with an interface for doing some basic images (with lines, icons, text, bezier curves...)

Tontow

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2008, 06:00:31 pm »
If you use Windows, then take a look at my sig.  Its a nice little tool to help players make decent maps.
Tontow's MapMaker Tool 2.0 : http://hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=33954.0 - Make your own maps by walking around and useing the /pos Command!
Site: http://sites.google.com/site/tontowmerlin/