Author Topic: MOB Behavior Problems with getting stuck  (Read 1225 times)

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
MOB Behavior Problems with getting stuck
« on: April 25, 2008, 04:18:40 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm new and getting pretty frustrated at the mob issues with them getting stuck.  I decided to download the source and see if I could help any.  If I'm completely off base, just ignore.  I don't know how much time I have to help out, but I may try and download the full source and get a server going to test it.  I really can't commit, but if I can find anything obvious, I'll post.  Here are a few thoughts:

In the npcclient directory, the NPC::CheckPosition() method, it says right in the front comment that the position only needs to be checked once.  If I interpret that right, I would disagree with that.  It needs to be checked every time an NPC moves.  I don't see any other way to reset the mob.  If they got stuck, they would be stuck forever if I'm reading it right.  I don't see any reset code in the GEM or NPC logic other than in this method.  The only other way I saw to reset that condition was with an NPC::ClearState command, but again, I don't see it called anywhere other than the destructor.  Maybe it's being called from somewhere outside the GEM and NPC handlers?

Now, I don't much about CS, so maybe there is something that you are expecting it to do through a callback? 

One other thing I noticed.  In gemActor::MoveToValidPosition, there is some code that stops a falling entity from /unsticking itself, assuming that a PC will be able to do that.  Could that be blocking things since NPC's can't do an /unstick?  Just a thought.

Khaki

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: MOB Behavior Problems with getting stuck
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 10:52:57 pm »
MoveToValidPos will not be blocking NPCs since they never use /unstick

Khaki

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:07:57 pm »
NPC disabling will now be disabled on Laanx to see if it fixes the issue. It's probably been responsible for some of the NPC problems as physical memory limits increases the amount of time spent moving each NPC.

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 07:56:18 am »
Okay.  I'm having some issues getting CS to compile now, but I will help out where I can.  I should tell you that I'm a systems engineer leading a major software development effort.  I've got about 25 years experience in systems development, and about 15 in c/c++ coding, with a few more in other languages.  I'm an engineer though, self taught on coding, but I'm pretty good.  I'll will yield to computer scientists/engineers.  If there is any section of code you would like me to review, just ask.  I'll be happy to do a peer review on it for you and bounce ideas back and forth if you think it will help.  Just post or grab me in game.  Right now my char is Sendar, though not sure how long I'll keep her.

As I said, CS is not compiling for me now, but I'll post in the build threads if I think I need some help.  I think my linux build is just old so might have to update it.  I'm running SuSe 10.1 now, and PS runs great in it.  Just not compiling.  Getting a compiler crash.

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 06:39:56 am »
Fixed?  I didn't see any broken mobs yesterday.  If so, thank you.  At least every time I went looking I had no trouble finding ones to fight.  I was seeing some issues with lag though, that may have been increased load on the server.  Still, thanks. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:44:49 am by MustangMR »

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 07:50:35 am »
But I saw a lot of NPC vanished from their usual place.

Nairan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 10:30:15 am »
this morning rizin was putting a lot back at their spots since the walked through the wall or fell off and were no reachable anymore.

thanks rizing for all the monster management =)