Author Topic: Newbi on linux  (Read 701 times)

Alaundria

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Newbi on linux
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:15:59 pm »
I am trying to run PS on Mandriva 2008 and I am having the same problem as this person : http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=32731.0   ( client failing to launch) but I am not very tech savvy to begin with,  I am brand new to Linux, and  when he says "I ended the session and logged back in then it worked"  I am really not sure what he is referring to.  Following the links posted on that page don't help me much either.  None seem specific to my problem and most are too technical for me to understand what they mean or where I am supposed to input the code.  Nobody in the Linux forums has been able to offer me advice.  If someone could explain to me in simple, Sesame Street terms what I need to do to make to program launch, I would be very grateful.     I also have the same problem when I try to run the updater.

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
Re: Newbi on linux
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:42:19 am »
He just means that he logged out and back in again. I had this same problem with mine and I found that running the client directly worked. Try this:

1) Open a terminal (xterm or whatever)
2) Browse to where planeshift was installed using the cd command (e.g. cd /opt/Planshift/)
3) Make sure the binaries are executable by running these commands:
  - chmod +x ./psclient
  - chmod +x ./pssetup
  - chmod +x ./updater
4) run the updater by typing ./pssetup
5) run the client by typing ./psclient

Hope that helps.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:23:05 am »
He just means that he logged out and back in again. I had this same problem with mine and I found that running the client directly worked. Try this:

1) Open a terminal (xterm or whatever)
2) Browse to where planeshift was installed using the cd command (e.g. cd /opt/Planshift/)
3) Make sure the binaries are executable by running these commands:
  - chmod +x ./psclient
  - chmod +x ./pssetup
  - chmod +x ./updater
4) run the updater by typing ./pssetup
5) run the client by typing ./psclient

Hope that helps.

that should not be needed if you let the installer set the perms, also the updater is called psupdater not updater, you could also try to install the game in your home folder and see if that helps any.

Ephrym

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:32:01 am »
What did you set the permissions too when you installed the game?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:42:52 am »
all scripts that run the game and the *.bin are -rwxrwx---

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 06:36:16 pm »
I have to run the ./psclient.bin to get it to work.  Running the ./psclient will crash as I remember it.  I haven't looked at it much further than that though.  It just works.  So make sure you chmod on psclient.bin as well.

On another note, I have mine installed locally, didn't pick the install system wide options.  (also, I'm on SuSe, not Mandrivia, but don't think that would be the problem unless you are getting specific library compatibility issues).