Author Topic: Getting stuck in the jagged landscape  (Read 1149 times)

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Getting stuck in the jagged landscape
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:43:53 pm »
The new wilderness with the "sharper edges" shows a remarkable tendency to ensnare hapless adventurers, such that an /unstick is necessary. Hills that yesterday were perfectly climbable, I suddenly cannot get through, nor can I climb back down. I've rolled back (0.4.01 installer) to see if this would fix the problems, and it did.

Something else, and I don't know if it's related, is that on-screen models seem to be out of sync with the heightmap -- I've been both waist-deep in earth and about two, three feet above it at various points. The heightmap doesn't seem to have changed though.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Getting stuck in the jagged landscape
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:29:19 am »
I only tried for a few minutes, but 'strafing' while you walk helps in the worst areas. It looks ugly like <insert word> and I wouldn't recommend using it while other people are around.

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Luzino

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:17:39 am »
I encountered similar "problems" yesterday. Not only couldn't I find my favoured mining spots :P but I also gut stuck twice in 2 minutes, walked above ground or waist-deep through a slope. Also found some items hanging in midair, probably due to the same heightmap problem.

I never knew there were so many little hills on the way to Oja... ;-)
So much to do - and so little time...

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:01:53 am »
Same here. I even completely dived under the map at the base of the big slope on ojaroad 1 before reaching the portal between ojaroad 1 and 2. I hope you get an idea which spot I'm talking about  :sweatdrop:

On the bright side, I don't lag on ojaroad 2 any more (haven't checked bdroad 2 with the new maps yet). However, the other wilderness areas could have stayed unchanged imho  ::|

EDIT:
Quote from: the main site
The major change is the usage of the new terrain, which at the moment has sharper edges, but enabled us to use the same lighting engine for all levels. The visual result should be better lighting. We are still working on improving it.

Ok, I understand why the change now  ;). Keep it up  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:13:06 am by Morla Phlint »

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:51:21 pm »
Don't know if this is a linux-only problem or not, but I find I can't even walk in flat areas on oja road now.  It's as if I have to make my way through invisible obstacles that I can't see.  Everything looks completely flat, but I keep sticking on unseen things every few steps and have to jump over them.

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 09:48:47 pm »
Is there any information as to which files are responsible for the change? Is it the actual <mapname>.zip files, or is there something in the executable itself? That is, could I run the update and just roll back the problematic maps?

citizen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:08:33 pm »
Same here. I even completely dived under the map at the base of the big slope on ojaroad 1 before reaching the portal between ojaroad 1 and 2. I hope you get an idea which spot I'm talking about  :sweatdrop:

Reach the portal, but for what? :)

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 03:05:53 pm »
Woah!  ::|

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

MustangMR

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 04:06:35 pm »
*sigh* same problem.  Can't walk on a road anymore.  I've found constantly jumping helps keep you moving, but drains your stamina faster.  This is pretty frustrating.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 04:18:06 pm »
it will be fixed as soon the next client update is released.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 12:21:29 am »
I was on for about 2 hours this evening. I did not get stuck once. I notice the update smoothed some of the jagged landscape, but I was happy not to continue getting stuck. Also, I didn't spontaneously lose stamina once. I did update... but had to use the --CheckIntegrity option or it told me no update was available.