Author Topic: Magic manuals  (Read 191 times)

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Magic manuals
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:41:13 am »
[Yet another bit of my request spew. I know I'm noisy - if it gets annoying just say so]

Wouldn't it make sense to get a manual in each way along with the apprentice wand (or maybe from the Archmage at the first meeting). This could give you basic information like what glyphs and spells are known to exist, and what the principles of the way are. It would also give you combinations of glyphs to try as your skills advanced, just like a crafting manual improves with practice. So the way society would be providing it's students with a tangible benefit in the form of knowledge.

- Noisy Cir

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Magic manuals
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:09:57 pm »
[Yet another bit of my request spew. I know I'm noisy - if it gets annoying just say so]

Wouldn't it make sense to get a manual in each way along with the apprentice wand (or maybe from the Archmage at the first meeting). This could give you basic information like what glyphs and spells are known to exist, and what the principles of the way are. It would also give you combinations of glyphs to try as your skills advanced, just like a crafting manual improves with practice. So the way society would be providing it's students with a tangible benefit in the form of knowledge.

- Noisy Cir

Hey Noisy Cir, you have to know I totally agree with you!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 05:52:27 pm »
Those manuals are actually created by players and distributed on demand.

Moja Aere

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • TheOne Guild Info
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:00:27 am »
 ::) That's a good thing I ignored 'til now, but, wouldn't it be easier if they were given by ways' trainers/teachers as Cirerey suggested? I think that's a nice idea :thumbup: !

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 07:55:31 am »
The problem is that one has to find someone to sell or give a manual. In these days of lean attendance that can be difficult. It might also lower the barriers for noobs if there was a structured means of getting this basic information. Also, It makes the way societies a little more useful to a beginner.

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 11:55:32 am »
Agreed! That's a nice idea. And perhaps having the manual in "mind" would boost your stat for that way a little as well?  :sorcerer:

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:33:57 pm »
In general I think it goes against the idea of experimenting with magic, so I'd guess devs wouldn't like it. I.e. they assume that you should really discover spells by experimenting in combining glyphs. But illogical glyphs combinations for actual spells defeat this purpose IMO. For example one can assume that Icy Ground should use Cold and Earth (it fits the logic, isn't it?). No luck with that though...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:38:34 pm by Gilrond »