Author Topic: Klyros common mind channel  (Read 498 times)

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Klyros common mind channel
« on: December 05, 2012, 01:34:42 pm »
Fuusan has created a channel for klyros to share our thoughts. It is called commonmind. The command to access it is /join commonmind. I put that in my autoexec.

The purpose of this channel is to express the klyran group consciousness. As you know, klyros share experience through the union of all klyros. A form of telepathy or something like it.

Therefore this is an IC channel of a conversation that only klyros can hear. Don't tell the other races about it!  ;)

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Klyros common mind channel
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:45:11 pm »
There would probably be more Klyros on the Klyros Junction channel ;)

But on a more serious note, I wouldn't really RP Klyros as having 'telepathy' per se. It's more of a bond between two oppressed persons of the same community imo.

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:09:12 pm »
[...] A form of telepathy or something like it.

Therefore this is an IC channel of a conversation that only klyros can hear. Don't tell the other races about it!  ;)

more "something like it" for me. Still...

(not bad)

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:28:33 am »
Its not exactly telepathy, its hive-mind or collective consciousness. In the same way bees decide to fly to a certain field after just one of them has discovered lots of flowers there or how they all attack the same target at once even though only some were alerted. To my understanding, hive-mind allows different individuals to work for the same task, have the same friends and enemies etc, but doesn't allow  for the exchange of ideas, philosophical views or detailed information about specific subjects.
Example: Klyros guard spots an ulbernaut pack near Amdeneir. All amdeneir warriors run to drive them off and klyros women call their children back home in a matter of seconds.
So yes, such a channel can be great but it would need some moderation as of what is being said there if it is to remain IC. You can't have klyros discuss with each other what they ate for lunch but I guess they could send messages as "I am in trouble, I need help" or "Something dangerous is in the forest".

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:31:49 am by Chessire »

Moja Aere

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • TheOne Guild Info
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 02:27:44 am »
[sorry, sorry, sorry for this OT :( ... I just have to write that... so, Klyros are some sort of Yliakum's Borg :o ?]

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 03:14:36 am »
@ Moja:

Nevertheless, interesting similarity. But the Borg will have established this "hive mind" technologically. The origin of the Klyros' "common mind" will have to be discovered, but quite probably the magical environment below the Crystal may have supported it.

By the way, they are not the only race with a strong bond; Kran have a documented "sense connection" as well.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Denes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:02:57 am »
Interesting topic! Here is how I see it: If I’d have to think of a parallel I’d sailfish. They also have some sort of “long distance communication” (detailed on perception http://www.planeshift.it/klyros.html) to support herding of schooling or bigger prey in their home water world and aid their survival when food is scarce.  (bee communication is short distance only by the means of dances and odors) As I understand hive mind - bees and borg - have different classes for different tasks and usually one central hub: a queen whilst workers – drones – lack individual identity so this probably wouldn’t apply.
Kran on the other hand (and I’m still guessing only) have a sense to “feel” living beings by practicing some sort of empathy. Due to the “Original sin” against female Laanx they constantly want to atone for turning the two Gods against each other. There is a shortcut however as they can turn this off.
Bottom line IMO: Klyros can communicate directions, details to each other while Kran can sense fear, joy, pain in everyone up to a certain extent in a smaller area.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 05:13:06 am »
any sort of communication is built upon being able to send, receive, and modulate a certain frequency. Both klyros and kran can be sensitive to vibrational frequencies well beyond the senses of any human, elf, dwarf, or enkidukai. Perhaps klyros have an extrasensory organ, buried deep within their reptilian brains, that are attuned to x-ray waves. This way they can have extra 'voices' that are capable of travelling vast distances quickly and passing through solid substances uninhibited. This would explain the principle of this 'mind channel' being abuzz with tiny, simple packets of information, such as 'alert at the north gate'.

A kran named Lilura once explained to me that she didn't have ears and 'heard' through the sound vibrations traveling through the earth. If kran are so attuned to vibrations at that level, it makes sense that they too can be sensitive to emotional vibrations. This would explain the more empathic nature of their ability.

I think the 'hive-mind' or 'borg' concept isn't fitting, since they both describe a scenario in which there is little to no personal autonomy or individuality amongst the members of the 'hive'. We all know that this lack of personal identity just does not exist amongst the many good klyros and kran of Yliakum, and for this reason I support the idea of extra-sensory communication rather than a shared mind.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:17:17 am by Aramara Meibi »
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 05:48:25 am »
Does this mean that if I roll a kran or a wingy, I can use guild chat or tells to secretly communicate with fellow allies? I'm not all that up to date on the settings stuff for kran and klyros at the moment, but this sounds like the sort of thing that could easily be abused into silliness. With cell phones, you have to speak audibly - opening yourself to whoever is nearby, with mind control, and vibrating or farting or whatever, you are even less vulnerable!?

This remote communication thing is something that crops up quite often in RP in various forms - and not just on Planeshift. Its convenient, just like cell phones and pagers, but can quickly lead to ooc nonsense - like your character just knowing things that they shouldn't because its convenient for the player, or because they are too lazy to have in-character discussions.

I have a better idea. Just let your character know whatever you, the player knows and make up an excuse later. "Of course my character knew about the surprise party that you wrote about on the forums. She used the computer in the Winch to get on-line. She's buddy buddy with top brass over there."  *Sara Palin wink*

I have an IC message for all you mind reading wingies and vibration feeling klyros. "You're a bunch of n0bs" ;)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:55:00 am by Rigwyn »

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 07:09:18 am »
I agree with Rigwyn that this channel has an enormous OOC potential, the player must be aware of this.
Given that klyros receive more sensations than complex thoughts, what are these sensations, how could we transmit these basic feelings through the channel?
My two cents:

<fear>                  example: /me feels <fear> [<location?>]
<danger>                           /me calls for <danger> [<location?>]
<hate>
<love>

Having two or three shortcuts like this transmitting on /commonmind should be trivial, except for optional location.

This is obviously pure speculation, since it happened to me to pick up a book at Jayose's library, evidently buried behind bookshelves until recently. The title is "the union of klyros" if I remember correctly, from an unknown elder.
The revelations of this book stunned me greatly, to be polite. It's cataloged under "tradition". Genetic memory is cited, among other things explained by, I don't know, magic influence by the Crystal?.
A must read book for everyone interested in klyros matters.

I mean, how can you RP a genetic memory? Some Dune RPG manuals around?

EDIT: there was one indeed
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:15:24 am by BoevenF »

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 11:24:07 am »
I'm going to use this on a daily basis

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 10:48:21 am »
I agree with Rigwyn that this channel has an enormous OOC potential, the player must be aware of this.
Given that klyros receive more sensations than complex thoughts, what are these sensations, how could we transmit these basic feelings through the channel?
My two cents:

<fear>                  example: /me feels <fear> [<location?>]
<danger>                           /me calls for <danger> [<location?>]
<hate>
<love>

Having two or three shortcuts like this transmitting on /commonmind should be trivial, except for optional location.

This is obviously pure speculation, since it happened to me to pick up a book at Jayose's library, evidently buried behind bookshelves until recently. The title is "the union of klyros" if I remember correctly, from an unknown elder.
The revelations of this book stunned me greatly, to be polite. It's cataloged under "tradition". Genetic memory is cited, among other things explained by, I don't know, magic influence by the Crystal?.
A must read book for everyone interested in klyros matters.

I mean, how can you RP a genetic memory? Some Dune RPG manuals around?

EDIT: there was one indeed

Thanks. This will help make the channel work much better IC  ;D

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 04:18:42 pm »
How many users did the in-game channel 'commonmind' have so far? I never found anyone else when I was online with Lesiros...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 10:28:33 am »
I have added "join commonmind" at automated tasks after logon, out of curiosity, but I don't play lately. Forita was the one and only I've "sensed" once so far. I assume that the "bond" doesn't work while the Klyros sleeps, or is traveling between levels.  ;)

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 03:08:41 am »
I sometimes join it, but nobody's on when I do...
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa