Author Topic: Get rid of guildhouse keys  (Read 441 times)

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Get rid of guildhouse keys
« on: January 05, 2013, 11:35:50 am »
Guildhouse keys seem to be an ongoing problem for players, GMs, and devs alike. You need more, or have stray keys floating around, it is just a general pain. Entering the winch or the house of the spirit involves a test condition rather than a key. Making guild membership a test applied by the magic guildhouse lock would make the whole thing self-administering. The downside is you couldn't give keys to friends and allies, someone would have to let them in unless there was an additional whitelist that could be edited from the guild window (if given the privilege).

Thoughts?

Mokek

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Get rid of guildhouse keys
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:57 pm »
Keys could also be copyable by guild masters? And the guild master could allow the copying of keys by other specific members?

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:45:13 pm »

Not a bad idea at all. Permissions for entering and unlocking the guild house could be added per rank to the guild window. If that gets too crowded, weird permission like muting ranks in guild chat could be eliminated.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:47:39 pm »
some houses aren't owned and run by guilds, but rather loose coalitions of 'employees'. I'm thinking here of the RCD and Hydlaa Museum. These establishments need to be unlocked, left unlocked for patrons to filter in and out, and then locked back up again when the business day is done.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 04:56:35 pm »
As the engine stands (and as I understand it) we could make guild membership a method for allowing access to a house but then ONLY those members of a guild could enter and leave and as a guild you would have no way to know which of your members could come and go. So this one is rather restrictive so most likely wont happen.

Allowing players to make copies, as the system stands you need the master key and those are mostly held by GM/Devs as players kept losing or selling them and to get a new master meant changing the lock and all the keys. There may be some master keys from older guilds still about but not for the new houses. So a new system would have to be coded to make this work. Not likely to happen any time soon from a lack of coders to do it.

Have 'guild house permissions' in the guild permissions I think would be the best way to go for individual guild. If the box is ticked then you can come and go from the house but I could see it having the same problem as just allowing the whole guild in and out. This is because to lock/unlock the door you need a key, its how the system works. This would again require code changes which again means its unlikely to happen any time soon. Then of course for somewhere like the RCD the people running it are part of multiple guilds, so then you would need a way to limit it so that only certain people could unlock/lock it.....

So then Keys.

The current problem or bottle neck with getting more keys is that only Weltall does it. As settings devs Mordaan and I can't do it and no GMs can do it. It use to be that the command was available at my security access, but that was changed.

Taya

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 05:38:43 pm »
A lot of the Postal Service RPs have also involved giving non-guild members access to the post office as well. We also have postal workers who are not in the guild via mechanics for various reasons who sometimes need access. So like with the RCD, we'd have big issues if access was restricted to guild members as well.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:31:11 pm »
Just as an FYI the museum is always unlocked so no current issue with it. Well except for when trying to leave the museum you almost always have to log out and then back in after using the exit icon since due to the high number of items in the house the client doesn't update your position once you leave. Once you log out and back in though server and client re sync your position properly outside of the house.

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 08:42:55 pm »
thanks Sarva for the explanation, it occurred me once but I thought it was due to temporary network lag.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 02:59:51 am »
Thanks for the info, Venalan.
The current problem or bottle neck with getting more keys is that only Weltall does it. As settings devs Mordaan and I can't do it and no GMs can do it. It use to be that the command was available at my security access, but that was changed.
Oh, good to know. So that's why masterkeys are supposed to be returned?

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 11:14:10 am »

Have 'guild house permissions' in the guild permissions I think would be the best way to go for individual guild. If the box is ticked then you can come and go from the house.

This is a  :thumbup:. If GH access could be included as a permission in the guild window, this would allow for certain members to lock or unlock the door of a guildhouse to enter, and to open it for others to enter who don't have that permission (non guild-members, for instance).  This would really simplify things, I think. However, as Ven pointed out, you've got the problem of places like the RCD that are owned or managed by people from different guilds.
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
Why not change guild house keys to be catagorised as 'Quest Items' meaning they cannot be sold to NPCs (as no NPC buys quest items), this way the key can be stored in storage or destroyed by a GM.

Are you able to have some houses work on the guild permissions and some houses not?
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Lusserall

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Wanderers
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:01:31 am »
Why not just ad a window like buddy/group list to the door
3 categories

1. admins - names off chars who can go/leave, lock/unlock and add/remove members from access list
2.            - names off chars who can go/leave and lock/unlock the door
3.            - names off chars who can go/leave
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:08:02 am by Lusserall »

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:31:55 am »
  Caraick, I would think the different guilds/persons of RCD could manage that ....  :whistling:
   I really like Lusserall's idea, very simple, but make it part of the guild window, like Caraick said .... is logical?

:sorcerer:
my name is Sanrai ;)

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 03:32:37 pm »
After all, a key could be seen as a token, or an attribute (even a temporary attribute) given to a character. You could add a command like /guest characterName so a guild member, or a guild leader, could give permissions to a certain character. Those permissions could be permanent or temporary (switches could be added to the command). In that way the guest character could enter and leave the house... perhaps could not be allowed to modify forniture arrangement, unlock chests and so on...
Just an idea.  :sweatdrop: