Author Topic: Mosaic / Grafitti / poster item  (Read 110 times)

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Mosaic / Grafitti / poster item
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:53:08 am »
I was wondering if a flat transparent graphic (editable outside the game) could be created as an item for decorating spaces and public postings. I was thinking the identical item with different names could serve as mosaic for decorating guild houses, posters to be hung on walls, and graffiti that can easily be scrubbed off walls. I don't know how achievable that is, but it seems like a good way for players to alter the look of the game without touching the underlying artwork.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mosaic / Grafitti / poster item
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:32:34 am »
Too easily abusable, if it wasn't approved each time it was changed...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 12:01:53 pm »
If I had meant what I said, rather than what I meant that would be correct.  :oops: I meant that it would be editable, like a book, but creating the image would require a source external to plane shift. and then the file could be loaded to a player's mosaic, poster, or grafitto. The end result would be no more disruptive than hanging a book on the wall.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 03:15:32 pm »
OK, back to the technical aspects ... some issues of sharing a common server-based image were already discussed in the thread about a changing environment, a landscape eroding by the walking characters, making paths through the grass, and grass growing back over unused paths...

The usual server messages are small. UDP has a limit of less than 64 KB per packet (remember the risk of losing connection to overfilled storage categories?); bigger images would probably require several packets to be sent to fill the file, but UDP is an unreliable kind of connection, the server won't know if packets arrived, they may have to be sent several times to ensure their arrival. This will eat bandwidth a lot, possibly.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:18:38 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty