Author Topic: Roleplay Preferences: List Yours Here  (Read 2621 times)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Roleplay Preferences: List Yours Here
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:51:00 am »
Role Play Preferences
To participate, simply reply listing your likes and dislikes, then put a link in your sig to your preferences page as I did with mine below.

This is intended as a place to list what you as a player, like and dislike regarding role play. The idea behind this list is to make it easier for players to quickly figure out what is compatible with which players. 

For example, if you see in my preferences list, that I am not interested in plain vanilla romance, but am interested in dark, immoral plots, playing both victims and criminals, then you will have a pretty good idea of what I am open to and vice versa. You may wish to PM me with an idea or to simply attempt to interact with me in character.

I'll Start in the next reply.

To make a link in your sig, just add this from the Forum Profile window replacing the red text with the link your your preferences post. Make sure to remove the * from the URL tags!

[*url=http://HTTP://URL-TO-YOUR-PAGE]My Role Play Preferences[/*url]

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:15:23 pm by Rigwyn »

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplay Preferences: List Yours Here
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 10:52:22 am »
Rigwyn's Likes and Dislikes:

Action scenes - chasing, spying, fighting on rooftops, etc...
Dark themes - crime, violence, stories written from the "evil camp's" perspective
Magic - but only when written well. ( see dislikes )
Plot twists - surprises, reversals, unexpected consequences
Gray characters - characters who are not good or evil, but both, neither or complex
Religious and occult themes - scandals, apostasy, heresy, temple drama
Stoic Characters
Victims - Yes, I like writing victims too!

I can tolerate this if I have to...

Slow, action-less stories
Casual, everyday tavern RP without anything going on
Dicing systems - though I'm warming up to light use of dice.

Dislikes:

Actions that abruptly and prematurely end the evolving story.
- ie. destroying the conflict with a "This will fix everything" potion.
Cybering - Just NO.
Romance
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:56:49 pm by Rigwyn »

Ebonwumon

• Hydlaa Resident
  • lol b&
    • View Profile
    • DEPOT WAREHOUSE!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:00:14 pm »
I liked it when the baddies win. When there was a baddie with a well-thought out plot, I would always make an active OOC effort to let them win, because it simply doesn't happen enough, and when they win, they can continue their stories.

That being said there were definitely times when I would make an active OOC effort to not let the baddies win, this included every instance of Alirukell or his over 9000 alts who attacked indiscriminately and in the centre of the tavern with epic magic brawls, and then if he started to lose would log on one of his 9000 alts and bring them to fight too. Rinse and repeat until he won. I do not like this.

I am most certainly NOT the one known as Perriwinkle or Overtherainbow

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 01:02:06 pm »
Zalya's likes and dislikes!

Moral ambiguity
Bad guys with a secret good side to them :P
PG romance, with twists to fit the setting and current plots
Lovecraftian tale's of an utterly alien intelligence like the Black Flame
IC Silliness to keep the mood up. I.E Eating rubies.
Plots where no one wins. There is either a loss or victory on both sides.
Riddle's incorporated into the plot.
Use of books and quest items for RP
Clumsiness on Zalya's part
Groups that contain 2-7 players.

Dislikes:
Unnecessary OOC chatter in main
Plots that you guess whats going to happen and be right 100% of the time
R rated romance
The view that the DR is just a fast travel from BD to Hydlaa with a minor cold.
Grinding
Large groups

Hates:
People not getting along OOC. :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:05:11 pm by Zalya »
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

Dau

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 01:33:41 pm »
I like believable villain RP, whether playing a perpetrator or a victim.   By which I mean, if you're playing Saturday morning cartoon villain levels of obvious, then I really hope the character's just a temporary one for plot purposes.   And few things make me growl rapidly than players who insist on ignoring the NPC guards.   There's like twenty of them, mostly concentrated in a few areas.   If you can't figure out a way to move your RP away from the places where you'd obviously get arrested then you are terrible.

Other things I like:
* Tricky characters running tricky schemes
* Music/poetry/other art forms being incorporated into RP
* Players who take into account their characters' appearances/current on-hand belongings in describing how they move
* Non-standard location choices for RP
* Characters with complex/hidden motives
* Non-Ylian characters who aren't played as humans with fur or green skin
* Religion-centric plots/devout characters
* Mystery RPs (oh man I love a good murder investigation)
* Plotlines featuring scholars bein' scholarly
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:35:41 pm by Dau »

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
Qualifier Disclaimer: If my character is initiating the RP with another then the style of RP should be that of the character my character wishes to interact with. If another wants to RP with my character then my preferences of RP style should be respected.

[Edit 15/11/11: The following likes and dislikes only apply during periods of RP with my character. What one does when not RPing with my character does not matter to me. ]

That said....

. Dice rolls for any significant outcome which directly affects my character. Modifiers can be worked out in advance; made easier with the introduction of MyPlane. Even a simple 1d6 is satisfactory just to introduce an element of chance outside the control of the respective players.

Dislikes :

. Disregard of the intentions of the DR. by using it as a quick route from the BD to Hydlaa or a 30 minute inconvenience.                                         

- Nova

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:45:49 am by novacadian »

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 11:41:41 pm »
Hi people
Pub talks, parties, dice games, fighting, large groups, outrages party activities.

Dislikes:
OOC fighters unless they said that they will fight you OOC you know what I mean when you are trying to have an IC fight, small group, noobs trying to OOC roleplay.
Potare

Ebonwumon

• Hydlaa Resident
  • lol b&
    • View Profile
    • DEPOT WAREHOUSE!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 12:49:55 am »
I'm going to add to my dislikes:

I dislike when people dislike that others use DR to quickly get from Bronze Doors to Hydlaa. I haven't killed a mob in well over 2 years, nor do I intend to really, but if people want to train stats in BD, then quickly get back to hydlaa, all the power to them. If that's what they find fun, then this is a game, and we should facilitate that. People quickly returning from BD via the Death Realm doesn't harm anyone else's roleplay, so there's no reason to look down on people for doing so.

When they start dismissing the DR in character, that's different. But for training, who cares?

I am most certainly NOT the one known as Perriwinkle or Overtherainbow

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 01:02:59 am »
  • Twists - I do like characters that have a slight twist to their background
  • Settings - Simple settings based characters is something I do like. It's not necessarily stereotyping or mary sue, they still have their fears and their differences.
  • With relationships I don't like people who go around marrying everyone on all of Yliakum, I do like the strong simple PG (as Zalya has already stated) relationships, sure having a few problems and fights between the two every now and then.
  • Adventurous stories (note: not necessarily heroic)

Dislikes
  • Mary Sue
  • "It's the song that never ends, it goes on and on...."  :-X Drama blabbering crap that goes on forever...
  • Making Yliakum a soap opera.  :love:
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

miomo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 10:41:42 pm »
Desires:
  • Role playing.
  • Role playing.
  • Unique characteristics, or actions.
  • Being invited into your role play. Yliakum is big; not always can one be at the right time and place serendipitously.
  • Small-to-medium groups (about 6).
  • Wall-of-text RP.
  • Did I mention role playing?
  • Making friends OOCly, regardless of what our characters may do to each other.
  • Role play-style dueling.
  • Socializing ICly and OOCly.
Aversions:
  • The single most frustrating thing is to be totally ignored, to the point of being OOC.
  • Not role playing.
  • Cyber.
  • OOC drama.
  • Game-mechanics style dueling.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:39:06 am by miomo »
Miomai is currently sane.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 12:13:07 am »
these are the standards that I hold myself to:

Do:
- Create well thought out characters FIRST. In my experience, the best RP emerges organically out of the conflicts and relationships that develop between characters. Develop your character, and put yourself in the mindset of that character while playing. Other than well thought out, unique, and creative characters, I also am a fan of deconstructions.
- Let RP emerge organically, don't fight it. Plotting RP is also good, but make sure it makes sense for the characters involved. Well plotted RP I think should be based around a character and through the course of the plot, reveals that character's background.
-Treat every single second ingame as RP. Don't train anything your character wouldn't train. Train the things that fit your character. If your character is a hunter, they should hunt. If your character is a cook, they should cook. Do what the character would do AT ALL TIMES. Even if you're just idling and chatting away in guildchat, you better have an IC excuse why your character is just chilling on that rooftop. {read: I am never, ever OOC if I can help it. The only excuse I can think of to ever do something OOC is if I'm setting things up for a plotted RP}
-Be inclusive. Treat every player equally.
-Stick to settings, but also explore the settings. Not everything is spelled out precisely, and there is a lot of room open for interpretation. I hope things stay this way.
-Let RP shape and develop your characters. One dimensional or flat characters are sometimes necessary, but a static character is boring. The only constant is change. Change comes from conflict. Not everything can be an unstoppable force or an immovable object. I like Zalya's point that resolutions should result in gains and losses on both sides.
-Create RP that adds to the culture of the world.
-Be fluid and adaptable to other's RP styles. I do think an agreement should be set when combat is involved, whether it be rolled, game mechanics, or RPd. I personally prefer RP combat, I find it to be the most immersive, but be open to other player styles.
-Keep OOC discussion out of Main as much as possible. If things need to be discussed, that's what the whisper, group, and guild channels are for.
-Allow all other players immediately involved in current RP a chance to post their reactions to my actions. Idealy, this would be done in turns. On a related note, your posts should contain a reaction to all of the actions directed towards your character, or at least somehow related, posted in the prior turn. I believe that this is what Miomo meant by 'wall-of-text RP'. This of course can get confusing with large groups or in areas where characters are filtering in and out of the scene. Be patient! sometimes it takes a while to type out long responses.
-be descriptive in your posts. yes, well written dialogue can convey a lot, but it helps when you describe character body language and motions, as well as tone of voice, eye contact, etc. Those are all part of communication as much as verbal language is. The use of the /me and /my commands I believe should be encouraged. Verbal ticks and the like are also a great way to add characterization.

Don't:
-Ever ever ever snub someone out of RP. BUT! if your character is a reclusive jerk, she should be a reclusive jerk. That's still RP.
-Give away spoiler information on plotted RPs. Most of the fun is in the slow reveal of background information. If everything is explained up front, well... that's just bad form IMO.
-Godmod. Explain your character's actions and reactions, but don't define their results. That's for the other player to decide. Let bad things happen to your characters. That's how they're going to grow. If an action has an unrealistic result that you disagree with, that's where OOC discussion should take place.
-MarySue.(MartyStu, AntiSue, GodModSue, or any variation thereof) Your characters are as flawed as you are. If they are flawless, they are unrealistic and boring. There's a reason people love to tear celebrities off their pedestals (the irony being that we put them on their pedestals in the first place, but that's a whole different forum thread)
-Be a jerk in OOC channels. I'm here to have fun, and make sure that all are having fun. OOC conflicts are as unavoidable as IC conflicts, but I'm not one to seek them out. If I'm ever being a jerk, let me know. I'm a passive-aggressive smart-ass, sure, but it's in good fun :P I've learned the hard way that sarcasm doesn't carry over well in text based communication, but it's a bad habit that's hard to break.
-Continue to RP actions when you haven't given other characters a chance to reply. I've always found it aggravating how quickly things like conversations can get out of order, which usually causes mass confusion and communication breakdowns. Don't RP at the speed of light!

i think that's about it. i'll add to it if i think of more. but it's late, and i'm sick. see you ingame! :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 02:32:37 pm by Aramara Meibi »
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Karlyle

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 02:13:34 pm »
I am up for RP'ing of almost any kind ... would appreciate a heads up in /tell if you want to try something a little different, but more then likely I'm on board.  I'm still learning all the ins and outs to RP, but I try my best .... I think  :P
Come by the Crystal Den and enjoy a drink

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 08:20:07 pm »
-At least semi-realistic RPs considering Yliakum's society.
•Like people speaking about the economy rather than the black flame.
•Like little girls NOT being able to dual wield two claymores.
•Like someone's armour shouldn't be able to block Lava, Ice, Dark way magic etc.

-When people speak in Rhymes...(Weird I know.)
-Funny RPs
-When characters and all their alts aren't master mages or warriors, yet not leveled at all IG.
-Well thought out RP plots.
-Well planned Events. (I know how hard it is, yet fun in the end :) )

Dislikes:
-Fighting RPs mostly.
-Overdone RPs such as Memory Loss.
-Cybering
-OOC annoyances
-When people think I'm being mean to them just because my char is a snob.
-When every single little RP shapes some character's life in one way or another.
-When someone wants to be the protagonist/antagonist of every RP
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:22:04 pm by Mekora »

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 04:05:32 am »
hm... I like a lot. I only play to RP at the moment and would join nearly every RP

Dislikes:
- Cybering
- People who mix OOC with IC up (for example OOC information or my IC behaviorr with my OOC behaviour)
- Smithes who are too busy hammering something to be able to answer :P
- Chars without weaknesses
- being completely ignored in a RP (not even a "XXX ignores YYY" in the sentences so I know I am not ignored myself, but just my char is for whatever reason)
- Bitching about having a char dying or possible dying through a RP
- having to search for a RP for hours without finding one
- People who only RP with the same peoples

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 12:08:58 am »
Deep characters that are more complicated than simply "good" or "evil."
Snarking ICly, because it's amusing
Good RP fights, that implement realistic situations while still taking some statistical analysis into account
Fighting the baddies, or playing as the baddies, but not always letting the good guy win (at least not right away)
Paragraph RPing, describing your character's body language as well as words to make it more vivid
INCLUDING PEOPLE IN RP, no matter the "skill level"
Interesting character backgrounds. I say interesting. Not necesarily complex, or "deep," emo/happytastic/whatever. Just interesting.
Characters that are "realistically flawed," perhaps even tragically so. A tragic hero is more interesting than a stainless white knight.

Dislikes:
Cybering. You try it, you're ignored. I will not remove you from ignore, and we will not RP. End of story.
Simple characters. "Mwah hahaha, I'm evil, just to be evil," or "I'm good, simply because it's the right thing to do."
"Perfect" characters. Good at everything, pretty in every way, always intelligent and makes no mistakes.
EXCLUDING PEOPLE FROM RP. It's a good way to drive people out of a game. Do not simply assume new = bad. Teach, and kindly, but do not exclude.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:12:06 am by Mariana Xiechai »