Author Topic: What PlaneShift is not  (Read 3267 times)

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
Re: What PlaneShift is not
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 03:30:36 pm »
PlaneShift is not living up to its potential.

Due to bottlenecks in development, some narrow point of views and definitions of what 'success' is, the progress of PS is often a quagmire of conflicting opinions often dominated not by those with the most skill or vision, but by those who can stand the politics the longest.

*addendum: That being said, there are still some very good and talented people on the team.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:07:52 pm by Under the moon »

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 03:33:27 pm »
PlaneShift is not well.

'Cause it just got burned, son!

Moon laying down the law :P
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

dragnoor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • -Talad only knows-
    • View Profile
    • nexus of devotion
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 03:29:23 am »
Planeshift is many things. But as already mentioned this is a dream in the making. We either stick with it (& the bugs, lag, LPB advantage, etc), or like most people, give up & leave.

Scarn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 01:44:11 pm »
Planeshift is many things. But as already mentioned this is a dream in the making. We either stick with it (& the bugs, lag, LPB advantage, etc), or like most people, give up & leave.

I think you didn't understand the part where you should say: PlaneShift is not ____________.
S: I want to be Columbo! K: That is NOT a class...

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 12:41:28 am »
Thought I would give a hand since you guys are obviously failing.

PlaneShift is not a toolkit
There are two kinds of engines that can be used for making virtual worlds.  The first kind are toolkits like BigWorld, Realm Crafter, and Torque.  The second kind are the kind that are more than just a set of tools, but full client-and-server packages like PlaneShift-the-engine and NeL.

From the point-of-view of an MMOG engine shopper, there are two main differences between these kinds.  The first is the amount of work it takes to use the system.  Many hobbyists, novice programmers, and smaller companies are known to use Torque and Realm Crafter due to their ease of use and adaptability, and many MMOs have been made using BigWorld by larger companies.  PlaneShift-the-engine, on the other hand, is tailored for PlaneShift-the-game, and NeL is tailored for The Saga of Ryzom.  It would take a team of serious developers in order to develop off of one of these, something that a team of novices or a company would not be able or willing to do.

The second difference is price.  There is no such thing as a free virtual world making toolkit.  BigWorld is known to have a six digit USD annual price tag, yet companies continue to make MMOs with toolkits like this one, hoping that the return ends up being more than the cost.

EDIT:  Are there any entries that are good enough that people actually accept, or is my opinion no less subjective than UtM's?  I'd consider moving some of these to the OP but it doesn't look like this thread is mature enough yet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:50:21 am by Tuxide »

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 09:56:27 pm »
Since nobody has responded yet, I'll post another one to clarify the difference between objectivity and subjectivity.  So far, "no subjective entries" is probably the most broken rule on this thread.

PlaneShift is not "a closed source game that just happens to use an open source engine"
PlaneShift is an open source game.  That is what the press is calling it.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/dreaming_massively_multiplayer_open_source

Here, I am putting two opinions against each other:  The subjective opinion "PlaneShift is a closed source game that uses an open source engine" and the objective opinion "PlaneShift is an open source game".  The prior represents how some individual (possibly you) perceives PlaneShift while the latter is how PlaneShift is collectively perceived by everyone, regardless of what the individual thinks.  The individual's definition of an "open game" is prone to subjectivity, but the press's definition (in most cases) is not.  The press has (to my knowledge) never said open games must have open content.

As an example to illustrate the above, this would be the difference between you saying you were born on Mars and the press saying you were born on Mars.  In the end, nobody really cares what you say, but everyone will collectively believe what the press says if they don't already.

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 10:38:59 pm »
The art licensing debate will be open for a long, long time.  The answer will probably end up being a per-project one, btw...but still, we need people willing to explore a variety of policies at the moment.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 11:08:41 pm »
There is no debate. Atomic Blue owns the rights to the game project period, and they have had a license written and in place for years. And there is no "opinion" on the open/closed actuality of the project. PlaneShift the engine is open-source, PlaneShift the game is closed source. The *cough* unfortunate part is that these two projects bear the same name, and if you look on the project page, there are screenshots from the game on the front of the engine project which leads to desire and then disappointment on the part of the seekers that wander by.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 02:48:06 am »
kaerli and verden:  Your arguments are ignoratio elenchi because they aren't really directly addressing anything that is on this thread.  Your digression is that PlaneShift is closed content, and as it stands whether anyone thinks that's an issue in the first place is subjective in nature.  The issue that you should have addressed that is relevant to this thread is that the press is calling PlaneShift an open source game, and the only way to refute it properly is to either get the press to agree with you or find some news articles that support your way of thinking.  In the end, nobody is going to care what you think here, but collectively, everyone will believe what the press is saying as long as press sources don't conflict with each other.  That is why I implore you to refute it using the method I stated.

This thread needs more of this:

PlaneShift is not free-for-all PvP with looting
PlaneShift will never have player looting.  There are special areas in the world map where open player killing is permitted, such as typical areas for arena matches and those designated for role-playing.  In the role-playing server, attacking or killing in the latter areas is considered an in-character action.  The engine does not support creating open PvP instances; for example, one cannot have an open PvP guildhouse because that would force all instances that use the same map to be open PvP as well.

The above could be wrong or outdated; if it is different now then please let me know.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 08:41:27 am »
OK Tux, I have digressed and erred. PlaneShift is not documented in a clear and consistent manner.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 02:47:27 am »
PlaneShift is not documented in a clear and consistent manner.
Please explain your justification here.  I want to believe you but every explanation I come up with is flawed.  I ended up changing it to one that I posted here already.

Maulus Octir

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 09:15:33 pm »
Planeshift is not privately funded.

Because Talad's mother stopped giving him an allowance after Molecular Blue.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 11:28:37 am »
PlaneShift is not a project where any critical Joe or Jane can rise from the masses, deliver his or her messianic message and expect to be heralded as the greatest visionary the project has ever known. It's more of a collaborative over-time process.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 11:59:36 am »
PlaneShift (the game and the forum) is not a democracy
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 09:05:52 pm »
PlaneShift is not as bad as some people make out.
The devs and GMs are not perfect, but have a hard job and deserve some respect.