Poll

Should we host a new contest to choose more OPS members soon?

Yes.
No.

Author Topic: Ready for a new OSP Contest?  (Read 3159 times)

Elady

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Ready for a new OSP Contest?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 06:30:09 pm »
As Aiwedil stated the Stonehead isn't an OSP area and thus we don't have a requirement to put on events. I will point out though that we have done one stand alone event at the Stonehead, the opening dinner of the Summer festival, and we have provided catering for all of the outpost OSP events and have supported events at the Den with catering. Also we are working on additional events to be held at the Stonehead.

I know that Aiwendil and Lhaa put a lot of time and effort into the Red Crystal events but I also know you can pull off events with a lot less effort. For example the community picnic that Lilura and I put in Hydlaa on the grass next to the Laanx temple. It was less than 24 hours from the time the idea the event was hatched 9 and the idea of the event was to give people somethign to do while the NPC client was down) to when the picnic happened and I think we had a pretty good draw for something that was put together on such short notice.  The community picnic would not have been possible without the resources of the Stonehead. If the main idea of the OSP is to promote RP them maybe the strict structure of what an OSP project might need looking at. Is having monthly events more important than having a place/recourses that helps make RP happen in general?

Over the last 10 days I have been tracking how many people come into the Stonehead during my shifts to RP. I don't count people who just come in and run around without saying anything to anyone. Over the past 10 days we have been averaging just over 12 people per day with a high of 21 people ( twice) and low days of 4 and 5.  Again what is more important having 20+ people together in one place at one time RP'ing or having places where 3 to 4 people on average are there? I think there are needs for both large events and smaller get togethers.

Maybe all OSP projects don't have to fit into the same mold ( ie all of them have to have monthly events) but all of them should at least encourage RP as their primary function.

Havuik

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 08:20:54 pm »
I think it is important to have the OSP to help fill in the gaps of the game with players rather than npcs and GMs. However, to answer the question from a personal perspective I am not ready for another contest. Now I'm not saying that others might not be ready, but I am saying that if there were to be a OSP contest I would not have my guild put forth an area for sponsorship, despite my interest in it. The reason being, I am still organizing a project of my own and having a hard enough time with that as it is. Perhaps in some months time I, and my guild, would be ready for such a responsibility. But right now it is not realistically possible for The Brigade and I wouldn't think for one minute I could pull it off.

With that answer I would also like to comment on some of the things said in the previous posts, hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread too much :whistling:.

I would have to agree with the player population and the numbers of players who are willing to actually make an attempt to RP and follow settings. I would second (or third) Aiwendil's post about the amount of work needed and the amount of work hands willing to do it (although I can't say too much because I haven't volunteered the most time to the Den, hopefully I can do so more in the future  :thumbup:). But I noticed in their previous event (the fashion parade) they had to use multiple characters from one player to fulfill the staff required for such an event. Also the audience, although significant at the beginning, was only a handful of people at the end. So the amount of players willing to contribute to an OSP event and the players willing to use a OSP resource doesn't really justify another one at the moment.

But I would like to say something about the direction the Stonehead has taken. I think it is a fantastic way of contributing to the RP environment in a (for lack of a better term) less demanding way. I would encourage those who have voted 'yes' and have a project they want to start, first take the path the Stonehead has. It's still a lot of work but you won't be held to the same standards and requirements an OSP project will and gives you an opportunity to show the community your plans and commitment.

I think we will need OSP projects, 'Vigesimi' sponsored projects, and regular players holding events/projects to fill in the gaps in the game world. I think player run everything could be the best thing ever if players are responsible. But I think it needs to be a gradual transition, replacing npcs with players in small amounts over a longer duration. Think about it, there is probably as many npcs (not including monsters) in the game than there are players on most of the time. Most jobs in Yliakum are probably already covered by two or three npcs at least (however getting rid of them would be tricky because of how training works right now).

Right now there is a lot of unused space in Yliakum right now. Hydlaa alone has lots of building I could see as being something like the Den or other player run business/establishment. Perhaps instead of having another OSP contest buildings that are around the plaza should be auctioned off to groups of players who have put forth some sort of project they would like to have a building for. Although I can see this seriously back firing, I think if these are auctioned off to people that have shown they are responsible it could work. Perhaps these buildings could always be left unlocked and serve as various buildings you would find around towns: Inns, taverns, shops, etc. (But this would require some work for the devs too, by making different types of insides of buildings)

Although I've almost certainly swayed from the original topic of the thread I hope my post was worth something to someone, even if it is just a congrats for reading the lengthy reply.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2009, 01:34:50 am »
I voted yes.

Lhaa and Aiwendil's post made a case, but I can't say I agree with their argument. They assume that all OSPers must be hardcore RPers willing to put in HOURS of work EVERY day. The vaudeville requires that as a vaudeville would. However there are much simpler ideas out there, and I may look into an idea for the Enkidukai Alliance.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2009, 04:24:22 am »
I voted no. Based off the sole reason of lack of players, while I know this is a used argument. I do however believe their are commited players.

jaycol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://salonatest.sa.funpic.de/CoD_banner1.jpg
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 03:29:52 pm »
There are committed players, and the lack of players isn't really that true. Not to cut you down for that. It was mentioned before.

OSP areas and the Stonehead are from my understanding experimental. Which means the ideas still are being built upon. Both area designs have provided what their goals were as far as I am aware. OSP promises monthly planned events and open RP opportunities. Both OSP areas are managed different, they have different rules and guidelines so the requirements needed and the outcomes are different based on the approaches they use. The Stonehead was meant to provide continuous RP opportunities and to provide an atmosphere that helps players to develop their RP by interacting with those that RP well. This is provided by the characters that stop by and by the staff present.

Both Designs have been successful, DUE! to the commitment of the players managing them. As IT was intended (with some or little help from the PS team) From what I gathered from the first round of the last OSP contest. It was only intended that they help you set the area up. After that it was up to the players WHO took on the responsibility to make it work. With an occasional OSP check on, to see how you are doing.

Does it require a lot of work - yes
Does it require a lot of time - yes

For those and a few more reasons I pulled the CoD's application in the first round, or rather decided we were not ready at that time to continue to pursue it. Fully aware at that time of the requirements and work involved. HOWEVER, that was based on how WE would have approached it with the idea that WE submitted. There are easier ideas and there are easier ways. That is dependent on the guidelines set forth from the party that is running the area. Let me quote Salona telling me about rules. "More rules mean more work :)" So some flexibility should be incorporated into the management plan to get it through slower periods.

So, maybe before we get into another contest, everything learned from the existing areas should be reviewed first.
[Sample questions]

What seems to work and what doesn't?
What would make it easier?
What problems are there?
What makes them successful and why?
What can be done to make the next OSP area successful? (based on what was learned from the first ones.)
What needs to be changed?
How should it be changed?
What could be changed?
Are the requirements to demanding? (based on the average player's playing time) If so how?

We already know who has a campfire, who has a Red Wand and who has a kikikiri (all pointless, falls under helping to set up the area)
So how about we offer some constructive information as feedback for a change.

I did see a post about OSP areas competing with each other. I disagree with this. If they do get into that, then there is little likely hood that they will be successful. Scheduling is important. In that they need to check either the forums or with each other first so that they do not over lap each other. So far as I seen this has been done, except maybe once but that was corrected. There is little difference from them posting their events and those posting other events. It is common courtesy to make sure you do not over lap someone elses planned event.

I do believe there is room for more OSP areas in-game. That there are able and willing players that can handle those areas successfully. That the ideas that they present can be adapted into the game without hurting the existing areas or themselves. That the participating number at events is overrated. The major topic here concerning OSP areas is RP. So, you might get a big crowd, you might not, more often not. But, ask yourself and the other players that participated if they enjoyed themselves. If the majority say yes, and most often they do, then that is all that matters in the end. The ones out mining and training will get tired one day and stop by to see what you are up to. They almost always do. Or, they go play WoW!

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 08:52:10 pm »
I think that it would be a good idea for the people who bring the OSP into effect to do more research into server usage monthly, to see when peak periods of PlaneShift play are. Identify trends etc. to find when it is best to start an OSP competition, so that the winner(s) will exit the competition coming into a peak period of play, where there will be plenty of help.

I understand that Euro-winter (Northern Hemispheric winter) is a peak period, so organizing a competition to unveil the results about quarter of the way into winter is a good idea. Also, expectations should be dropped for 'dry' periods when the server has little usage, to allow the OSP winning teams to relax a little and plan larger events for more popular periods, which will in turn boost PlaneShift's numbers even further as people see what a game community is capable of.

Edit: changed some text that accidentally put a line through most of my post.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:11:50 am by Akkaido Kivikar »

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 10:07:50 am »
Thank you all for your comments and votes.

Now, to make it clear, since apparently there is a misunderstanding about this issue: the OSP is an ongoing event but neither GMs nor Devs have ever claimed credit for the events thrown by OSP members. Their events are something we profit from as a network (in terms of RP in Laanx), like a parent company profits from its subsidiaries, but not something we ourselves see as our own merit. The hard work both The Explorers and the RCO put into throwing these events is commendable and a good sign that the privileges bestowed upon them are well placed. And here's another thing that needs to be clarified: becoming an OSP guild/organization is a privilege. You will be held to a higher standard and more will be expected from you, both in-game and out. In return, you will be given the room, feedback and autonomy to throw events regular players cannot. It is a job you're hired for and that demands constant work in order to keep. It is imperative that the community see that becoming an OSP member is not the result of favoritism but the acknowledgment of the players' creativity and RP skills. It is something one earns with their good performance in and out of the game and not something one is entitled to or that should be taken for granted.

Those in the OSP deserve the greatest respect for, as long as they are a part of this event, they represent some of the best our community has to offer in terms of RP.

Given the results of this poll, we're probably going to wait a little longer before throwing a new contest but we're evaluating other initiatives to allow payers to take on a more active role in the promotion of RP. Stay tuned.

dragnoor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • -Talad only knows-
    • View Profile
    • nexus of devotion
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 11:13:25 am »
Having been almost completely ignorant of the original OSP, my fault I might add, can I just add a few things...

1) Yes it was well IG/forums publicised this Competition but alienated us Powerlevellers...so we kinda felt left out..Sheesh! A very muted why? **

2) Bloodedirishman had it bang on..lack of players IG at any one time to give justice to the winners ideas, was this not forseen ? The time of year etc..

As for the devs & GM's, Sterling job chaps keep it up.

I voted yes

** Can I add we knew this was an Rp Compo & it had our blessing. We just knew we could not fulfill any of the concepts that were picked.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:18:05 am by dragnoor »

Lhaa

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 02:47:58 pm »
Disclaimer:
This post was written by both Aiwendil and Lhaa and all you read below has been agreed upon.

Thank you Dajoji for clearing up an issue that seems we and others misunderstood.

In regard to our vote: what we wanted to say in this and other threads (and it's something that becomes apparent when you read the former OSP threads) is merely that the OSP itself was created to support RP on Laanx in a wider range than it had been supported before, but that this doesn't mean the GM or Dev teams will be there to do the work for any OSP members or to always solve a problem an OSP member ran into, and that players applying for it should take this into account. The team gives us freedom to run the RCO as we please, and we, in return, don't ask them for any further help, which we think is fair for both sides. This doesn't mean we aren't, sometimes, asked if everything is alright or if we do need something ideas-wise. Simply that, besides the starting kick which we are of course grateful for, nobody applying to the OSP should expect help like spawning monsters or handing out special items for their events by GMs/devs. But the PS team offers advice and suggestions for events. Up to now we didn't need that for our events, but we appreciate to know that we can come and ask for example if a specific event we have in mind is against any laws in Yliakum or how the team thinks our events could be made more popular.

The OSP event was/is a premier, so it's only natural that there are some ongoing adjustments on how it is handled. Rules like this of course have to be added after seeing that there is some confusion about the OSP event. Up to now it wasn't mentioned anywhere that OSP members are privileged or have to fulfill a higher standard out-of-game too. At the start the OSP event looked to us, and we think to most other players too, amongst other things like a reaction to the complaints about the last guild house auctions (please correct us if this statement is wrong). This event was a very welcomed alternative for RP guilds to come up with plans for promoting roleplay on Laanx, and not only the OSP members should be (and are) grateful for this enterprise but also the rest of the players that benefit from it but don't have to work to enjoy it. Such privileges do imply an amount of work the OSP members do to entertain other players, they are not given for the sake of it.

That said, we of course take the needed changes into consideration, and tried to and will try to stick to them as best as we can. Anything else we may disagree in regard to other topics has nothing to do with the OSP or the events we run for it and it never was our intention to mix them up. In this post we are only trying to make sure our words aren't taken in the wrong way, so please refrain from starting another discussion in this thread, it's not the right place to (if there is one).

1) Yes it was well IG/forums publicised this Competition but alienated us Powerlevellers...so we kinda felt left out..Sheesh! A very muted why? **

We can only try to answer the question from the point of view of the players who enjoy roleplaying far more than leveling. For some players it was about the same feeling with the last guild house auction and the high prices, and that's (we think) one of the things that caused the start of this event. GMs put up a lot of events in which non-Roleplayers have an easy way into and it's very hard to make an event that pleases everybody, so in our opinion it was only fair to have an event directed more towards Roleplayers. Can't tell if an event of the same nature (help-wise) but in which roleplay isn't needed is a possibility, though.

Thanks for this post Dragnoor, we appreciate the way you wrote it.

-Aiwendil
-Lhaa

Aiwendil

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 02:48:42 pm »
Disclaimer:
This post was written by both Aiwendil and Lhaa and all you read below has been agreed upon.

Yes, true.