Author Topic: A Commander, or a Leader?  (Read 1461 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A Commander, or a Leader?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 02:34:51 am »
:D Hey people, come over - a second Cooking Fair! Free sandwiches for all!

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

dragnoor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • -Talad only knows-
    • View Profile
    • nexus of devotion
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 02:37:43 am »
Hehe Vannaka you should know better... But Van's approach isnt that unusual.. But hey lets keep on topic ! [ Can I have a sammich too please? ]

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 11:57:27 pm »
hhhmm looking at all of this i guess that i am a failed commander. :surrender: i would be a good leader, if i began recruiting for Phasmatis Of Vitality already. Nonetheless im not ready for that, but for the future i have to remember how to fasten my commander boots when the time comes.

-sig by sarras

Ahanien

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 06:03:55 pm »
The terms leader and commander used in this context are pretty misleading. A commander is a leader. Neither word says anything about leadership style. A dictator is a leader, and so is the speaker of a democratic council. A military general is a leader who is also a commander, but that doesn't say anything about his leadership style either.

You must also remember that all styles of leadership have a place. A democratic style of leadership works in a small community when there are no crises apparent. If, on the other side of the scale, you are riding a small guild through a violent crisis, quick and unpopular decisions will be the order of the day and you need the iron fist of absolute power.

Extremes aside, there is a time for every style of leadership, and there is a style of leadership for every time. Not all leaders are capable of every style of leadership, and some aren't capable of any style of leadership. This doesn't stop some from trying.

The real test will come when you need to kick people from the guild who have done a lot of good for the guild and who are popular members but whose continued membership will only harm the guild. If you can do that and retain the confidence of your guild, you've got some really good leadership qualities in you. Certainly more than I have.