Author Topic: Whats the best magic way  (Read 1458 times)

DarkShadowSly

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Whats the best magic way
« on: October 12, 2010, 08:20:34 pm »
whats the best magic way and why?

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the best magic way
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:54:03 pm »
The one that fits into your RP description best ;). No, I'm serious! A merchant may want Azure Way. A Hunter May want Brown Way, Blue Way, Redway maybe. A darker Character may want Darkway, and a nicer character or healer may want Crystal way.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 06:08:05 am »
High-end mages are CW and DW mages.
Blacksmiths are Red Way masters, or should be…
I guess Kran and nature-lovers could be Brown Way practitioners.
Mek is righty: merchants would be good friends with Azure Way  :)

And such…

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 07:09:01 am »
Zhaomal would probably say all, seeing as he seems to be almost maxed in all of them. And getting filthy rich teaching others some of it.
I would say that all Ways have their uses, together with pros and cons. And also you might have gotten a more unified answer if you asked what is the best offensive/defensive Way.
I like to look at them in this order with the current spells (offensive -> defensive): DW - RW - CW - AW - BrW - BlW
I'm also agreeing with Mekora and Mishka here. Let your character suit up in an unmistakenly magical direction  :sorcerer:
The ones among us who have played a few RPG games, be it Oblivion or online stuff, have always seen Hunter/Ranger chars summon creatures to aid them (BrW implementations?). And Healer chars kinda need CW to heal. RW is a nice Way for blacksmiths and crafters.
My personal fav. while playing gotta be DW. I still remember the somewhat sadistic fun of regenerating your own HP by taking it from monsters.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 07:10:47 am by Koios »
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 07:17:03 am »
Blue Way because you manipulate water and ice.

Ruya

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:04:25 pm »
Blue Way because you manipulate water and ice.

I like Blue Way best in theory, but from what I can tell it's (currently) the worst implemented.  I'm masochistically leveling it anyway for IC reasons, but it's not fun.   Hopefully some more quests with Blue Way glyph rewards are eventually added.

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 11:43:53 pm »
Dark way is fun if you are sadistic  :devil:

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 04:30:11 am »
(offensive -> defensive): DW - RW - CW - AW - BrW - BlW

Disagreed. Tough, such a sequence strongly depends on how much focus you put on setting, implemented spells and glyphs available to the public. Also, some ways are said to be much more subtle than those few spells we know of them in game.

DarkShadowSly

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 04:40:18 pm »
DW sucks, Brown Way Has Even more Offence then Dark Way.
Like the spell taste of death max dmg is 60 total, in brown way, flying stones make 88 dmg total way lots more then your known offence magic

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 04:57:58 pm »
I don't think there's a "best" way. I personally prefer CW for the healing and AoE spells and RW for the great offensive power and again the AoE spells.

DW is pretty nice as well if you know how to play it, but it's not as straight forward as the other imo.
AW is a lot more subtile than the others (i.e. the effects aren't as easily noticeable), but it's pretty powerful, too
BrW... well... I don't like it personally - too many using it :P
BlW has the great disadvantage of being almost as expensive as RW as the glyph you'll really need there is one of the most expensive ones around (if you get a hold of one at all)

EStripus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 12:49:01 pm »
Yep yep yep I agree with the players that said don't worry about the statistics of the game to decide on what magic way you want to learn. Have it fit your character: why are they learning magic? why did they learn that way? what are their beliefs to support having learned that way?

The magic system will change again at some point, most likely. It is still in development. Not all possible spells are released, some have been rendered inactive by devs, some have returned to being active. I highly recommend not choosing your magic based on the current stats. Time in the game taught me that.

I know some players that have bravely creating characters that don't use magic at all, so they do not train it OOC either. AND strangely their characters manage to survive RPs, fight scenes, and OOC earn the elusive PP required to train their chosen skills.
Don't godmod me and we'll get along fine.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 02:23:02 pm »
I know some players that have bravely creating characters that don't use magic at all, so they do not train it OOC either. AND strangely their characters manage to survive RPs, fight scenes, and OOC earn the elusive PP required to train their chosen skills.

My character is such a one. She has killed the infamous Ahriman in an RP duel, stood up to; though lost; the few duels she has had and always has a surplus of PPs. It is hard for me to understand why some folks have a problem with the PP system. My surplus has been steadily climbing since starting play on PS.

- Nova

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 03:48:52 pm »

That one was almost good enough to be sigged. Find someone to show you some Realm 4 and 5 DW spells   :devil:

Disagreed. Tough, such a sequence strongly depends on how much focus you put on setting, implemented spells and glyphs available to the public. Also, some ways are said to be much more subtle than those few spells we know of them in game.
The limits are a bit fluid, RW might surpass DW and AW might surpass CW. Depending on what ancient glyphs you got a hold of, that is. And seeing as it's all unfinished, that's a highly subjective listing.  :sorcerer:
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 03:59:29 pm »

That one was almost good enough to be sigged. Find someone to show you some Realm 4 and 5 DW spells   :devil:

Not sure it quite beats the quote on Laanx, though, but it's pushing the envelope for certain  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:42:47 pm by Caraick »
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 06:15:32 pm »
* Earowo is the best magic way.
Everyone should learn the magic of Earowo.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?