Author Topic: Withheld items  (Read 2076 times)

Ayloth

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Withheld items
« on: August 13, 2009, 12:36:34 pm »
My complaint is a simple one, but I need to make it known nonetheless.  I became interested in planeshift because of the emphasis on Rolplay and fun. And for the most part, I have not been dissapointed. I understand that it is a work in progress, but that is what makes it different! it keeps getting better.
However!! All this aside I still must express extreme frustration regarding the issue of "wand" type items.
For example. one can go to Harnquist and see a "wand catagoty" in the shopping list. but there is no way to buy any. at first I had thought perhaps that it is a work in progress and the items would be added later, but this is appartently not the case. I have seen players with them, so they must exist. I have been told they are given as rewards & such from Game masters.
WTF?? So am I to understand that if one is to start playing a game based on the concept of role playing and this person wants to be a "wizard" character of sorts, you have to be content to buy a stick or something? Maybe this isn't a problem for some, but it has to be made a valid point that these items appear to exist! they can be equiped! Why are they not in the game for all to enjoy!? I have even tried speaking to a few GM's about this matter, and i am met with a variety of "put off"responses; they are anything but informative or helpful. In fact it seems like they try to make a person feel bad for even asking! Wands are becoming more and more a source of frustration for some players. Why should a select few be able to hold these? Has the thought ever crossed anyones mind that it could eventually be a source of irritation between players?!? they shouold at the very least be able to be crafted or gotten through a quest or something. Not only given to game admins to bestow upon who they "Think" might deserve one!
I make this complaint not only for myself, but for every other player that has to wait for the whim of an admin that doesn't care about them just to get an item to enrich the gaming experience.
And for any responses to this that would be something along the lines of  "" well....wands are coming in the next release""  PLEASE! don't bother.
If these items are available and being used, then they should be available to everyone.

neko kyouran

Re: Withheld items
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 12:42:31 pm »
I've waited 5 years for a working fishing pole myself.

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 12:51:02 pm »
* Minks makes a complaint that supercomputers are witheld from her and most of the rest of the population.

Ahem.

Seriously. As far as I know, special items that can only be aquired via quests or GM events are a common occurrence in online games.
And I like it. Gives you the "special" feel when you finally get one.

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 01:07:27 pm »
A few items that are now for sale in game were introduced the same way, through quests and/or events.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 01:51:52 pm »
Besides... hunting for every item anyone in game might have to have them all oneself might be tempting, but is not the goal of the game  ;)
E.g. will I most probably not have one of those +20 dark way swords in foreseeable future. I'd like to have one, but it doesn't bother me really much that I won't - and for sure will I not hate the game because of something like that.

(And, like Minks said, I also like when there are items that not everyone has)

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 01:58:09 pm »
'wizards' do not use wands in PS to make magic. That is cliche.

Second, 'fairness' kills roleplay. Jealousy and envy are unbecoming. Deal with it.

Rigwyn

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 02:20:31 pm »

I don't think those fancy staffs that you see really do anything. From what I hear they are just a decoration at best.
You can buy a plain wooden quarterstaff from one of the npc's ... you'll just need to ask around a bit.

If you really must have one of those ultra-rare fancy sticks you could always make someone an offer....

Ayloth

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 02:24:23 pm »
You have only shown me what i already know: those who like the system are those that benifit from it.

MellasFenixxes

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Melly on DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 03:25:38 pm »
*Melly checks her items*

I don't have anything really fancy or special on me I'd say, but like you there's an item I had my eyes on - a tambourine.

Same story, I checked all around only to find out it was a GM reward. So I let it be and hoped that one day I could receive that reward.
My character enjoys dancing with the tambourine, she used to dance in the tavern - I remember Dannae and Dinnae dancing with me once. It was great fun, and I just RP'ed the use of the tambourine. I wasn't happy about being unable to get one, but hey, when I get it, it will really special :) Like the possession of a campfire was amazing, until everyone had one.

So I'd say just cross your fingers like me... wish upon the crystal, and our dreams will come true  \\o//
And you'll love the day when it comes!!

Elady

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 03:39:34 pm »
I have no special items and I'm not that upset about it. Maybe some day I'll get one in an event but until then I have no ill will towards those who do have them.

Lhaa

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 03:51:08 pm »
I don't have a problem with having some people only have certain items. Not a problem with helms or items of the likes being rare.
However, when a shovel or a campfire are weird stuff RP goes to funny sillyness levels:

B sits near the plaza staring at his brand new campfire.
A says: Hi. Where did you get that campfire?
B says: I ran miles and miles away to this guy who had a job for me and then asked me to do this and that. It was a nightmare to get, but now I have my cozy campfire.
A says: Ah.
A goes away and picks up some stones.
A produces a pick-axe and cuts some wood.
A comes back and drops everything near B.
A lights the fire.

A says: It wasn't so hard.
B's jaw hits the floor.

Same happened while quarterstaffs were only lootable in Dlayos, people would pay fortunes for them. Now who and why would really pay a high sum of money for a simple wooden stick? Doesn't matter how you look at it and how hard it is for players to get one, it's just a wooden stick.
How far from being a wooden stick wands are... I guess that's subjective enough to not argue about it. ;)

Ayloth

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 04:04:41 pm »
ill will of any sort is not what my post is about. It is a matter of principal. having specific items doesn't make or break a game by any means, but in a world of game choices, it makes no sense to me that such a "cross your fingers" mentality would even be tolerated. Some people like special items because of roleplay, and some because they want something that nobody else has so they can feel less insignificant.  I However, do see a place for reward items. They want to give items that are different for rewards? Fine. make special trophies or maybe even special weapons. the difference I am pointing out it that while warrior characters may want the special axe, sword, or whatever, they can still buy or make one.
As far as I can tell, this is not the case withwands and any other "mage" items. And to answer an earlier post, okay, maybe wands are cliche, but some people like them.
I have said all I will on this subject, I really don't believe it will change. but for the sake of many players who
 enjoy the game, I hope that it will.

Prolix

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »
This is not really new. The developers seem to believe that players ought to be rewarded for participating in official events and it is hard not to agree. Typically the items make their way into the general population after some time so that the reward is special for only so long. The magic system is not greatly conducive to magical items as such and a wand would likely take a great deal of skill to create as you must find some way to bind a glyph to the stick. It is theoretically possible to find a stick with a glyph already present but then the problem would likely be finding a way to activate it. It is just as likely that you would find one in a carrot.

Did I say likely too much? very likely.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 06:55:44 am »
yeah it will change. in a future release. but till then, patience grasshopper.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 07:30:23 pm »
Years back, a friend won chain mail leggings in an event. He was offered tens of millions for it. Now, chain mail leggings are a few thousand tria. Relax; kick back, dont worry about that and enjoy whats available. Hell, the best roleplayers work with what they have with their imagination and creativity.