Author Topic: Blackjack in a medieval world?  (Read 326 times)

Durwyn

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Athénée Royal Jean Rey Couvin
Blackjack in a medieval world?
« on: March 11, 2007, 02:23:49 pm »
Hello to all :) well i was asking myself a question "do the people from the medieval period play a sort of blackjack game"? i have just played this game remixed with ps and i was thinking about making something as an event but i have to be sure that a sort of game same as blackjack was played in the medieval period :) please answer to my question so i can prepare the stuffs ;)

(anyway i will play the game with small groups so if you want to play it /tell me :) )

Amicaly Durwyn ;)
http://arjrcouvin.jimdo.com/
Athénée Royal Jean Rey Couvin

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
Re: Blackjack in a medieval world?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 02:34:29 pm »
This isn't the "medieval period" so I would say sure. Just call it 'Yulbarfinger' and you can get away with it :P

I'm wondering how it would work, though. I'm guessing you try to /roll as close to 21 as you can or something?

Gharan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 02:34:55 pm »
Hmm I suppose you could do it with dice somehow, as for it being in a medieval world, I doubt it. I only imagine games like chess being around then as it's the oldest game there is. Not too sure about "card" games. :P

:offtopic: A chess game would be great though.  :whistling:

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:06:15 pm »
The distinction of oldest game is up for grabs, I doubt Chess predates oware and it depends on what you call a game. I imagine "tag" and "keep-away" have been around longer.

As far as card games go you may find this wikipedia article of value.

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 03:18:29 pm »
As Emeraldfool just said though, this may be a medieval style period, but it isnt THE medieval period.

I think having similar games to RL is great, but just dont name them after RL games. E.G. the chess game that  is mentione in game. Should that really be there?

I can imagine 'Yulbarfinger' would be played by rolling D11s twice to start you off then choosing between rolling another D11 (hit) or not bothering (stick) maybe even have the ability to split and buy and stuff like that ;)

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."