Author Topic: Getting Into Winch - Is the Process Fair?  (Read 1913 times)

Lady_Gramorian

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Getting Into Winch - Is the Process Fair?
« on: April 03, 2007, 04:39:38 am »
Firstly, I just want to say I am just loving the PS experience and extend a real thumbs up to the whole team who make it possible for us to partake in the community.  :thumbup: I have limited experience playing PS by comparison with all the veterans out there, however I have some upfront questions about the quest process and getting into 'Winch'. I have been following protocol about accessing in-game hints and clues about how to unlock that tantalising gate  ;D but those in the know are suggesting you have to complete a certain number of quests and in a particularly delicate order - one slip or discarded quest and I am led to believe that the game is all over in the sense that it is the last chance you get of gaining entry. If this is the case, those who want the challenge of upgrading their skills beyond what's available in BDs and who want to go on to ever greater quests , would seem to be getting a bit of an unfair deal. ;)

My question is, surely there is not only one way to get into Winch - one that is so difficult and obscure that you would be afraid of attempting it incase you stuff up any chances of doing it again in the future? Secondly, is a series of quests (with no conclusive list available) that has to be done in exactly the right order in the spirit of fair gaming? I mean, if that is the case then you would always have to be reliant on someone in-game with the knowledge to direct you through, which defeats the spirit of independant adventuring which the game promotes? Or has the process been designed so that you DO always have to rely on someone in game?

I would really appreciate some feedback on this - obviously my questions are directed at questioning the process and not at trying to get an explanation of how to get into Winch - I respect the fact that I am not to seek out actual in-game solutions through the forum. 

Thanks again team and all who make PS what it is! Would appreciate the community's feedback on this one :)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: Getting Into Winch - Is the Process Fair?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 05:39:41 am »
Yes you have to do a list of quests to get in but no it does not have to be done in any order. Right now there is no other way to get in then doing the quests.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:23:58 pm »
Since we're in open development where the community sees every one of our steps, you'll rarely find new additions in perfect working order. Often there are bumps that need to be smoothed out, such as our current issue with discarding quests. You may be interested in the Winch thread within the Complaint board - our Settings team is more than aware of the problem, and are working hard to find a balance. Aside this one problem, however, getting into the Winch should not be difficult. There is a series of quests, as Caarrie stated, and once you get them, completing them should be easy. Our NPCs are beginning to show slightly more intelligence than they have in the past. To make sure that you need not discard any quest, simply accept one at a time - that way no two quests will interfere with each other, the usual reason to drop a quest.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:58:51 am »
SPeaking as someone who has not yet been granted access to the winch I am not too concerned because I'll get in eventually. As far as doing quests one at a time goes that would be the prudent course I suppose, but to me it is unrealistic because it means multiplying the number of time you have to make the trek from hydlaa or even ojaveda to the bronze doors greatly and that is simply too time consuming not to minimize. Now having said this, I am not going to complain too much because some of my quests need to be prioritized due to the current implementation which requires some creative job ordering on my part. I am confident I will be able to get most of the quests I pick up done eventually, I have eight on the go now.

One thing I think should be said is that quest timeouts are a bad idea because that is one cause of quests becoming impossible. You can get around this if when the quest times out it releases all the npc's involved so that they do not get stuck on the timed out quest responses preventing them from responding to other quests. I am not sure this happens now but I also do not know it does not.

hulla

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:35:18 am »
Hi me i can go to the "wynch"   ;) but i "discard" manny of the quest of bd (yes before) and i cant have this quest again !! :( i wait (for a "long time" now whit "hope" ) but i dont know if she "comme back" !(and what about your "stat level" for the "wynch" acces ?)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 11:38:06 am by hulla »

Shangreloo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 01:27:15 pm »
As far as doing quests one at a time goes that would be the prudent course I suppose, but to me it is unrealistic because it means multiplying the number of time you have to make the trek from hydlaa or even ojaveda to the bronze doors greatly and that is simply too time consuming not to minimize.

Since people tend to emphasize "realism" in this game, I'd also add that it's not entirely realistic to expect a person (or character) to run only one errand at a time, especially when those errands require traveling great distances between two points. I know I ask other people I know, "Hey, I have to run out to Timbuktu.. do you need me to pick anything up for you while I'm out there?"
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who understand numbers and those who don't.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 01:35:13 pm »
As far as doing quests one at a time goes that would be the prudent course I suppose, but to me it is unrealistic because it means multiplying the number of time you have to make the trek from hydlaa or even ojaveda to the bronze doors greatly and that is simply too time consuming not to minimize.

Since people tend to emphasize "realism" in this game, I'd also add that it's not entirely realistic to expect a person (or character) to run only one errand at a time, especially when those errands require traveling great distances between two points. I know I ask other people I know, "Hey, I have to run out to Timbuktu.. do you need me to pick anything up for you while I'm out there?"

I don't find it really realistic going round doing errands for lots of people :P. Unless thats your job.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

lordraleigh

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 06:40:10 pm »
I don't find realistic getting access to an "elite" area of privileged merchants by just doing simple errands, specially if your character is penniless. Neither I find realistic warriors seeking access to an area of merchants so the players behind them can see it.

And lastly I don't find realistic that there is only a way you can acquire access to it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 06:42:05 pm by lordraleigh »

bilbous

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 11:50:39 pm »
What do you do for a living Miadon? Run around doing errands for people? I go to work and do errands for the people who employ me, they are certainly not things I am doing for myself except to get paid. It isn't exactly the same as what goes on in the game but the essence is the same.

Doing these errands is the only real way to include some of the npc's into your roleplay, other than that they might as well be statues or not exist at all.

Great you don't need them to make a living in the game, there is no problem with that. Of course if I was a merchant or a trainer and people were trying to curry favor with me by doing my errands, I would tend to give them my time and merchandise and those who did not would get short shrift and jacked up prices. Perhaps this is something the factions are to address.

The process to get into the winch is fair because everyone has to do the same thing. It is going to be more fair when there are more ways to get in. Whether or not there will ever be a way to get in without any npc helping is questionable.