Author Topic: Goodbye  (Read 1907 times)

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 07:05:16 am »
Hey, wait whether they will reflect on my bug report 3986,
That report is unfortunately not visible.

Happy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 07:38:55 am »
For a game that apparently needs each and every player because the numbers are so low I would think that if the changes for each release are making the players leave something should be rethought. Yes people come and go but having a stable player base is very important to any game. Maybe this game is going in the wrong direction.

I read a lot of how people miss the ‘good old days’ and wonder why.

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 07:51:40 am »
There is over 800 bugs right now and new are found every day, why making new mess without fixing the current bugs first?
actually most of those bugs are very minor bugs in quests. if you have a closer look at the bugtracker you'll recognize that a lot of the new bugs lately are only typos in quests that most players won't even recognize. on the other hand quite a few of the big engine bugs have already been fixed.

If you want someone, who will revise things before applying, I can do it, but it's always good to have other people see it first, because everyone can omit something and more people mean more chance to find it and fix it before applying.
that's exactly what's the testing team is doing. if you'd like to help, feel free to apply to join the team

Many people did it before you wiped them from ezpc again and they didn't registered again because they can't find the registration page (like me).
ezpc has been restored to it's pre-test-phase status. it's not a testing server anymore, just the non-rp one.

Hey, wait whether they will reflect on my bug report 3986,
That report is unfortunately not visible.
that's due to it's spoiling nature. of course reports showing item descriptions won't be left public, just like those containing quest solutions.

I read a lot of how people miss the ‘good old days’ and wonder why.
everyone misses the "good ol' days" everywhere. no matter how good or bad they've been - that's just natural
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 07:53:49 am by RlyDontKnow »

bangoor

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 08:31:04 am »
Sure, planshift is under heavy development. The inner circle of PS decided to make it an open alpha or open beta.
That way you need alpha or beta testers. Pretty easy. What i do not understand is, how 'roleplay' should fit into that.
For roleplay you need some stability(client + settings). I don't see that...

One player might complain about it. Another player might leave.

The inner circle of planeshift might decide to change things. That's fine. But please take into consideration that some players might
not like those changes.

That way you keep certain players and lose others. You are left with a certain player base.

If you are looking for yes men, believer or follower this is not my game. I wanted to play a game. I was not willing to join a cult.

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 08:36:09 am »
Sure, planshift is under heavy development. The inner circle of PS decided to make it an open alpha or open beta.
That way you need alpha or beta testers. Pretty easy. What i do not understand is, how 'roleplay' should fit into that.

Personally I think 'roleplay' is something that you should be able to do without much help
at all. Even in the VERY early days of PlaneShift when there were no npcs, no crafting, no
nothing, people were roleplaying. It is a kind of acting. And to act you only have to use
your imagination. You don't need many tools for that.

Of course the tools can help. That's where the PS devs come into play. We try to make the
tools you can use for roleplaying as useful as possible. You are free to use the tools as you see
fit but if they are (for some reason) not working properly you should still be able to roleplay by
using your imagination. That's what this game in about in the end.

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.

neko kyouran

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 09:40:33 am »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 09:44:22 am »
Bangoor, are you going to tell us why?

Anyhow good luck.

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 09:57:36 am »
I'm curious about, me too. Please explain, If you want.  :beta:

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 11:03:44 am »
Btw, I'd really like to never see the complaint "Fix bugs before adding content" it's short-sighted and doesn't help us. We fixed nearly 1000 bugs for the last release. Bug fixing is an ongoing process, we never stop fixing bugs. If you think managing hundreds of bugs is easy, you're welcome to join us in fixing them.

As said by someone else above, we have whole different teams that have their own skillset and it isn't the same people working on fixes that work on other content.

The whole world now has weights and measure with verisimilitude to rl weights, if this causes some anguish, tell us what you think has to happen to make it better, don't delete your characters and leave.

While we love and support role-play, one of the roles you play in the PlaneShift alpha test, is as a tester. I'd love to see people "act the part" of testers more as a manifestation of their ability to "role-play."

This is another case where we were asked to make changes, made them, and people (not the ones who originally asked) don't like those changes.

We cannot stop developing because some people don't like the changes.

We can listen to players and incorporate some of their ideas, sure.

What we can't do is place our content out there for people to vote yay or nay before implementation, isn't the process slow enough as it is?

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 11:28:45 am »
... Many people did it before you wiped them from ezpc again and they didn't registered again because they can't find the registration page (like me).
Click me! :) I agree, maybe the link should be placed somewhere more noticable.

You can find the link right next to the laanx register page link on our planeshift.it pages.. with a description of the two servers. Should be pretty easy to find now.
Ok, now it is there but when I was looking on that page last time (around beginning of this months), there was only laanx, sorry for mystification

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 11:37:14 am »

Personally I think 'roleplay' is something that you should be able to do without much help
at all. Even in the VERY early days of PlaneShift when there were no npcs, no crafting, no
nothing, people were roleplaying. It is a kind of acting. And to act you only have to use
your imagination. You don't need many tools for that.

Of course the tools can help. That's where the PS devs come into play. We try to make the
tools you can use for roleplaying as useful as possible. You are free to use the tools as you see
fit but if they are (for some reason) not working properly you should still be able to roleplay by
using your imagination. That's what this game in about in the end.

Greetings,
Completely bad. He means stable client that is easy to configure without crashing and freezing on every second step. Roleplaying with crashes every 5 minutes isn't so fun when you need to wait 2 minutes for client to load.

We cannot stop developing because some people don't like the changes.

We can listen to players and incorporate some of their ideas, sure.

What we can't do is place our content out there for people to vote yay or nay before implementation, isn't the process slow enough as it is?

I don't say stop developing, changes are life and life is change, but some things, such as sizes and weights should be revisable by people, who know them from real life. If there is nobody in the team, make it public, someone probably is. That's all.

Yes, there were made changes in gold hammering, right, I take it, heating metals for crafting is now only possible with stock book, I take it too, it's logical. But thinking that hammering will change the weight to half while the size doesn't change and heating to the same temperature will make the same final product from 3 different weights, additionally in range 1:4 and then you can hammer it back to 16x the weight before hammering, that is really mess. This had to be thoroughly revised before applying. The question is: why I use 4 stocks to make weapon, when final weight is less than 3 ingots? It's like if you take metal plate of size 1 x 1 meter to make 20 x 12 centimeters big cover for a box, and rest you will throw away as junk,even if you can use it to make another covers or something else. And there are other things that are not logical.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:25:01 pm by -stf- »

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 11:45:46 am »
What i do not understand is, how 'roleplay' should fit into that.
Changes in the environment, and in particular in prices, can feed roleplay. It can upset characters without upsetting players.

Of course, I'm not sure that's what you're talking about. Like others already mentioned, we don't know why you are leaving.

Personally, I think the balance team was what PS lacked the most. Now is the time when you can speak your mind about prices, a proper economy, jobs sustainability, that sort of things. One reason to stay, not to quit.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 12:52:26 pm »
But thinking that hammering will change the weight to half while the size doesn't change and heating to the same temperature will make the same final product from 3 different weights, additionally in range 1:4 and then you can hammer it back to 16x the weight before hammering, that is really mess. This had to be thoroughly revised before applying. The question is: why I use 4 stocks to make weapon, when final weight is less than 3 ingots? It's like if you take metal plate of size 1 x 1 meter to make 20 x 12 centimeters big cover for a box, and rest you will throw away as junk,even if you can use it to make another covers or something else. And there are other things that are not logical.

Those observations should go in the bugtracker as separate items, then they will work on them. Nobody is reviewing every single thing in game every single time there is a release and deciding that all of it makes sense and is logical. Record observations and the issue will be discussed and taken care of when a decision has been made and if it makes sense to change it at that time. There is a virtually infinite stream of people who will play this game, it doesn't matter if some of them leave. Deciding to take off because they don't do it your way is an immature and useless approach to this  project. But don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 01:44:42 pm »
quote:
Deciding to take off because they don't do it your way is an immature and useless approach to this  project. But don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Now there is a mature observation.... :thumbdown:
   Many of us have tried to report "things" not seeming quite right.  Many times we are told it's our fault, our net server's fault, our grahic card's fault, etc. Personally, I'm glad I ignored these replies because had I listened I wouldn't have been able to play at all.  Instead, other people have helped me solve the various problems, without the usual immediate response of above.  I think I can understand his frustration.
   Another observation:  I am so afraid of 'posting in the wrong place' that I rarely do any posting at all.  Which also means, I don't know if I have a bug, or it's just me.  So y'all usually don't get any feedback from me....
my name is Sanrai ;)

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 02:13:28 pm »
In reply to -stf-s comment that there are over 800 bugs that should be fixed first before updating, some numbers:
- yes, there are currently 864 open reports
- 292 of those are feature requests (as in requests for not implemented features)
- The bugs (things that are implemented but not working as supposed) include everything from critical ("ps not working on fedora 12") to very low (" Rock in Cutthroats Bane may have changed texture"). Obviously we concentrate on the critical ones, when people who CAN fix them are available
- Over a 100 bugs are for quests, mostly typos that got in when the settings team spend months re-creating all quests for the menu system.
- Someone who can work on balance can not necessarily do anything about all non balance/weight/size problems. But just to tell you how happy I am that finally after 5 years someone did go through all weights and sizes to make them more realistic: I hope to close 15 bugs soon just because of this change.
- after the release of 0.5 (so in 6 weeks) 404 reports were opened, 253 closed (counted last sunday). Most of these were quest errors (many typos, severe once are fixed first), many crashes are fixed, duplicate reports were closed to make the important reports more visible. Also the test team has limited time :). Still we hope all the really important problems are visible enough in the bug tracker to be noticed and fixed. And yes, feel free to make new reports if this first improvement in 5 years is not yet perfect