Author Topic: Automated crash reports  (Read 1317 times)

bilbous

Re: Automated crash reports
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 09:29:39 am »
a-ha, what "seems" is not always what "is." 
I meant no disrespect to the team.
If you'll notice my bug is still marked unconfirmed but since I haven't yet got around to installing the latest version yet I'm not even positive if the report is still valid, though it sounds like it is.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 10:44:43 am »
In random order:
- there is a bug report about this issue. It was marked critical until very recently, but demoted to high because of a combination of not hearing complaints, the EULA stating that info may be used, and there were other critical bugs that needed to be more visible. The reason it is not quickly fixed by a using a confirmation window is that: 1) on some OSes it already lets you enter information about what you were doing. Killing this box means nothing is sent. 2) there are no devs around who can quickly fix this. 3) the reports are VERY useful, even though they have not yet enough information.
- before, people were asked to send the dmp files to me. Several did. I could only use them if I had up-to-date program database files, which I often did not. Of the files that were send me 90% were crashes in ati drivers, solved by pointing to an old forum thread. All in all, this way of getting info was not very useful
- Many os/hardware related crashes happen shortly after starting the game. We lost many new players this way. They would try a few times, then give up on the game. They would not go to any place to know where to send info.
- The bug tracker is a good place to provide bug reports, but many crashes cannot be reported there properly either. Luckily many players do report bugs, but crashes that occur very often are not recognised this way. I can tell you that with the new crash reporting, some major problems surfaced, that were then fixed by devs spending much time on them. From a situation where ATI crashes were below 20th place, we were quickly back at ATI crashes (when added up) being the number one problem again. If you own a MAC, be very glad for the automatic crash reports, or most of you would have been left out of playing the game for a while now. When at this point sending the reports would have been optional, we might have missed some important information about how often problems occurred on certain systems.

Only a small number of people have access to the reports, which include a char name, which enables us to ask people for more information, some OS and hardware info, and a comment if the player specified it. A stack trace shows where the crash happened. Example of the info:
Date    Product  Version Build  OS  CPU  Reason Address  Uptime Comments
Jun 07, 2010 18:09 PlaneShift 0.5.3 Mar 11 2010 19:27:59  Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2  x86      EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION  0x34 51 PlayerName:Lanarel Arewar Compiler: VisualC RendererVersion: 3.2.0 Renderer: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2

ALthough the EULA does mention information may be used for debugging, I personally do not read those things either, and think it would be better to make it optional, or have people put a setting somewhere. There are more important things to fix though. I would prefer no crash reports need to be send in the first place :)

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 10:59:40 am »
alas the snipit won't satisfy the personal data paranoids,and arm chair lawyers out there. you may as well copy and paste in a full report... well, less the char name (despite the fact it was asked to be unedited).

and now i head off to empty the saucer and get a new napkin for my teacup.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 11:13:10 am »
A setting in pslaunch sounds like a good idea, too.

As a site note: About the personal data paranoids.. Since this is a game for people over all the world do you have to accept that there are regions where it is normal to use data of other people without explicit permission and other regions where it is considered inacceptable (actually against the law). Without naming good examples of both  :P

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 01:39:56 am »
Lanarel: No one is disputing the real usefulness of such reports. I do not doubt for a second that they are extremely valuable. The issue is that PS is transmitting identifiable user data without explicit permission from the user. This is illegal when the data is generated within, and transferred outside the EU.

Steuben: Personally I couldn't care about what personal info PS stores about me. I know perfectly well that they have my name, D.O.B and several other pieces of personal information. My concern is that some retard like lin***nius could report the situation and seriously screw things up.

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."