Author Topic: Mounted speed and network lag  (Read 1263 times)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Mounted speed and network lag
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »
A while back I had opened a report on the bug tracker indicating that, when mounted, my character was moving more slowly than if they were walking unmounted. The question came up about how much network lag I was experiencing. I checked, and the lag was notable. I confirmed this and the bug was closed. I just logged that character about 10 times over the last two weeks and each and every time, the network lag is preventing me from enjoying my mount. What I am honestly wondering is why it should be any different for a mounted character compared to the character simply running and shouldn't this really still be considered an open issue?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mounted speed and network lag
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:23:41 am »
Do you mean running down a ramp, or in general running on a plane surface too?

The "running down a ramp with pulled handbrake" is very annoying indeed, and I have no clue why this movement code was "really necessary" ... developers said, if they did not do that, people would permanently suffer falling damage while riding.

But extreme lag while running on plane surfaces would be rather surprising. I could only imagine that harddisk access (loading NPCs with their attributes) pauses the movement, as this happens extremely for me.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 06:24:50 am »
Yes, when mounted and moving on plane surfaces. My perspective after considering this for a while is that it is not how it should be, so it should be considered a bug. It was PS #4495 in Flyspray.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:29:09 am by verden »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 07:01:09 am »
But I could not confirm your experiences. Sometimes I play via satellite connection - that's possibly the worst you can have, extremely varying PINGs with a range of 1-5 seconds, about 2 seconds average. I never noticed a remarkable slowdown while riding, compared to walking.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 07:18:07 am »
if you move too slow it's some timing issue (probably sudden short freezes or heavily varying frame rates) that cause the movement interpolation to choke a bit.
it shouldn't be related to your network lag that much unless you have a high packet loss or a *really* high latency (I'd say >2s at least)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 07:25:04 am »
It is happening with my character right now. No GMs online to get some input from. Any rough ratio for how fast a character should be moving when mounted? I'll try to spend some time with this when I can.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 09:44:01 am »
Feel free to add info to the closed report if you think it is different than RLyDontKnow thought when closing, and ask to re-open there.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:48:28 am »
Mounted, it should be twice as fast as walking. So running "per pedes" should be about as fast as riding normally. At least if I am not wrong.

If you can't find GMs in game, try to find them in IRC channel "#planeshift-gmtalk" on FreeNode. Call their names to have their bells ring.

Is your character called "Verden" too?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 11:18:26 am »
Thanks for the responses. I wanted to check here before doing anything with the bug report. I'll test this some more when I get the chance.