Author Topic: quest help. NPC doesn't understand  (Read 1794 times)

Alissia

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
quest help. NPC doesn't understand
« on: October 02, 2007, 05:16:41 am »
I've tried to ask others ingame (at least as much as Natalee dears to speak to others) but the ones I've asked havn't found the right way to get her to understand.

In the tavern in Hydlaa the bartendeer asks you to give a drink to Aleene, and report back how she liked it.
When I came back and said "Aleena liked the drink" she didn't understand, so I tried "I have given the drink to Aleena", she didn't understand.
I've tried alot of other phrases but I can't get her to understand that Aleena was satisfied with the drink.

Please give me at least a clue on how to write a phrase that she understands so I can complete the quest.

neko kyouran

Re: quest help. NPC doesn't understand
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 05:21:57 am »
a few things:  is the npc server still having troubles?  could be that you are using a good phrase, but since the npc server could be having troubles, its just not working as it should.

or, do you have any other open quests atm that could be interfering with you being able to complete this quest becuase those other quest(s) are using the same npc?  if you do, try completing one of those first

Martine

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:18:55 pm »
I have the same problem with that quest but in fact it work perfectly.

Try to be close to what Aleena says and likes.

If you are still blocked and you meet Biscaye in game ask her for help.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:39:46 pm »
Yeah, took me a long while to guess that exact right phrase as well.  But it works, keep trying, and keep it simple.  You'll probably when you finally hit it.   :D
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Dahos

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 04:53:13 am »
But why should anyone have to guess and guess until they find a specific phrase? this is a poor reflection of the so called Artificial Intelligence, the best solution would be to have a series of recognizable commands, common sense ones that anyone could figure out immediately, making the game more bearable during these long winded trial and error situations. why not have a list of phrases easily available that the specific NPC will respond to.

One of the things that put me off the game big time at first was the fact that the NPC's won't recognize a massive amount of common words, and finding exactly what to say in order just to get a simple response is a hell of a pain in the ass.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 05:11:40 am »
NPC dialogue has improved immensely of late but of course there will still be improvement needed especially with the diverse range of non-native English speakers we have so if you do find an NPC particularly obtuse check this link out
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

neko kyouran

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 08:27:31 am »
expanding on that, Jer PMed me not too long ago to let me know that because of this thread, he's added more responses to this npc to cover these types of phrases noted as being tried in the opener post.  yay for progress.  :)

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 09:02:25 am »
Yay!  That's always good news.   
Props to Jeraphon!  :thumbup:
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 01:26:20 pm »
You're welcome.

I've updated that link to remove the list and provide new info. Don't forget Jeraphon's motto for you to help me:

"1 NPC. 10 questions. 100% difference."

wolfeedarkfang

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 03:20:37 pm »
Had this problem yesterday. I liked how they worked NPC dialog in oldschool EverQuest. Everything your suposed to talk about is listed in brackets like this [].

-Funny Example-
Guard, Says "Hail citizen. Welcome to freeport. Stay away from [boomba]."
You, Say "boomba"
Guard, Says "Aye. That large [ogre] over there who's sellin pickles. If you get to close you might be the next thing he pickles."
You, Say "ogre"
Guard, Says "Now don't be makin me explainin ya what an ogre be... Go frolic with a [gnoll]."
You, say "gnoll"
Guard looks around paranoid and lost for words.

Nalini Gupta

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 03:16:20 pm »
I am facing the same problem!  :(
One with the drink at the tavern and another in Oja's tavern where you have to go buy an apron, I bought the apron gave it to the NPC, now when i go upstairs to tell the other NPC about it, she don't understand!
I lost my 40 Trias and 6 rat hides.

HELPPPP!!!