Author Topic: Questions re: quests, skills, travel, etc.  (Read 1235 times)

MightyTeegar

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Questions re: quests, skills, travel, etc.
« on: November 22, 2007, 03:58:21 am »
Hi all, just started playing this week.  If these questions have already been answered, I apologize.  However, I did search, just so's ya knows. :)

1.  Is there a penalty of any kind for discarding a quest?  E.g., will the NPC who assigned me the quest be less likely to deal with me in the future? 

2.  My most recent character started with a skill level of 3 in mining, but I can't dig up a thing.  I get "You can't find a good place to dig" everywhere I try, and I've tried a LOT of places for all the listed minerals, including the most commonly recommended place for new miners.  Even with a >0 skill in anything, do I still need to train/practice that skill before it kicks in? 

3.  Walking the map becomes tedious after a while, especially when you know exactly where you're going and what you're doing.  I've seen mention of portals, but having found none save for the one in Death Realm I assume they're not implemented yet.  I've also seen references to animals (pets?) and was wondering: Is there a faster way to travel, like buying a pet and riding it?  If not, will there be faster travel methods one day?  One frustrating experience for me was in the Bronze Doors area -- I got lost and even once I re-oriented myself, it took me almost an hour just to get out (run, rest, repeat). 

4.  What is the accepted protocol for taking on multiple quests?  Acceptable, not recommended, illegal?  I like having multiple quests running because I can complete two or even three with minimal effort sometimes, if they all involve the same areas to visit.  Is this OK? 

5.  What is the accepted protocol for spawn-camping (hovering near a mobile's respawn point to kill it repeatedly)?  The reason I ask is because there was one creature in an area that I wanted to fight for practice, but another player hovered in that spot and attacked it on every respawn.  This went on for half an hour, but I couldn't think of an RP way to ask him to let me have a turn.  "This rogue seems to have many lives; may I try and take one of them?"  Didn't seem right. 

6.  When will some new creatures be added? 

7.  Occasionally some of the textures (especially on buildings and plants; happens to me a lot in Ojaveda) display as this weird red-green checkerboard pattern.  It'll show up even in places I already visited during a session which were fine previously.  What causes this?

8.  Other than leaving and fighting, is there anything significant to be discovered or done in Death Realm?  Not asking for spoilers; just a "yes" or "no." 

9.  Finally, a silly question:  if my character drinks a lot of beer, will his movement/actions be affected?  I don't have enough trias to find out on my own. :P

Thanks and loving PS so far.  Especially enjoying hanging out in places where others are congregated and observing the interactions.

Eodun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Questions re: quests, skills, travel, etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 04:41:30 am »
Wow... I'll only answer you number 2 (follow someone with a pick until you see where he digs, or ask, there aren't minerals everywhere) and number 4 (there's no problem taking multiple quests, but be aware that some use the same NPC and if that happens you must end the first quest before being able to follow the others that npc influences), because I'm new and not 100% sure about others;)

But I like your style, and hope we meet in-game!
"I think 640k will be enough for everyone"

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 07:20:38 am »
Okies one at a time

1.  Is there a penalty of any kind for discarding a quest?  E.g., will the NPC who assigned me the quest be less likely to deal with me in the future?
you may be discarding a quest you will need later and if discarded will be unable to reobtain
2.  My most recent character started with a skill level of 3 in mining, but I can't dig up a thing.  I get "You can't find a good place to dig" everywhere I try, and I've tried a LOT of places for all the listed minerals, including the most commonly recommended place for new miners.  Even with a >0 skill in anything, do I still need to train/practice that skill before it kicks in?
just need to find a good place to dig, following others is always a good bet
3.  Walking the map becomes tedious after a while, especially when you know exactly where you're going and what you're doing.  I've seen mention of portals, but having found none save for the one in Death Realm I assume they're not implemented yet.  I've also seen references to animals (pets?) and was wondering: Is there a faster way to travel, like buying a pet and riding it?  If not, will there be faster travel methods one day?  One frustrating experience for me was in the Bronze Doors area -- I got lost and even once I re-oriented myself, it took me almost an hour just to get out (run, rest, repeat). 
The portal mentioned are those linking maps not a teleport style portal, transportation ie ridable animals will be available in future releases
4.  What is the accepted protocol for taking on multiple quests?  Acceptable, not recommended, illegal?  I like having multiple quests running because I can complete two or even three with minimal effort sometimes, if they all involve the same areas to visit.  Is this OK? 
Not illegal but definitely not recommended current system can end up with quests blocking each other
5.  What is the accepted protocol for spawn-camping (hovering near a mobile's respawn point to kill it repeatedly)?  The reason I ask is because there was one creature in an area that I wanted to fight for practice, but another player hovered in that spot and attacked it on every respawn.  This went on for half an hour, but I couldn't think of an RP way to ask him to let me have a turn.  "This rogue seems to have many lives; may I try and take one of them?"  Didn't seem right. 
Spawn camping is OOC so ask [OOCly ;)]
6.  When will some new creatures be added? 
Soon (tm)
7.  Occasionally some of the textures (especially on buildings and plants; happens to me a lot in Ojaveda) display as this weird red-green checkerboard pattern.  It'll show up even in places I already visited during a session which were fine previously.  What causes this?
Textures failing to load and the default checkerboard loading
8.  Other than leaving and fighting, is there anything significant to be discovered or done in Death Realm?  Not asking for spoilers; just a "yes" or "no." 
Yes
9.  Finally, a silly question:  if my character drinks a lot of beer, will his movement/actions be affected?  I don't have enough trias to find out on my own. :P
Not yet
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:25:02 am by Mordraugion »
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 08:58:00 am »
Not illegal but definitely not recommended current system can end up with quests blocking each other

For the most part this is true. If you're certain the quests don't contain the same NPCs, or if they're simple "fetch me this item, no need to speak to anyone else" quests, then it's safe. But seeing as you're posting in the newbie thread, you won't be certain. So yes, not recommended.