Author Topic: WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!  (Read 567 times)

Zai Awakidey

• Traveller
  • Maow.
    • View Profile
WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:50:13 pm »
So, this is the 3rd time it has happened, although this time it was in a different place.
I got to point on the map (this time Ojaveda Road near the Banished Camp I think) and my computer gave me a grey screen and a message saying please restart computer. This was on a MacBook Pro and hasn't happened up until now! Gah!
Last 2 times it was near Gugontrid.
Can anybody help me? Shall I reinstall?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:10:55 pm »
Reinstalling a correctly working game won't help.

The reason of this issue will be either in the hardware (e.g. overheating chipset which never got so utilized without playing a graphically intense game, maybe even in relation to a hot 7200 RPM harddisk, quite possible for a laptop) or a part of the Operating System failing (e.g. OpenGL drivers programmed with bugs).

Unfortunately, hardly any developer has Macintosh based hardware. They will prefer a gaming PC for half the price and twice the performance...  :whistling:

Searching the web, you can easily find a few threads in different forums complaining about a "mac book restart  {gray|grey} screen [of death]". The usual result seems to be: "Send your complaint to Apple."
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:31:03 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:20:59 pm »
Are all chars crashing? That means, does it depend on the char's position or not? (If another char works --> get a gm to move your crashing char)
Also, just in case it's an overheating problem; turn the computer off for some minutes to let it cool down.
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Zai Awakidey

• Traveller
  • Maow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:55:26 pm »
Are all chars crashing? That means, does it depend on the char's position or not? (If another char works --> get a gm to move your crashing char)
Also, just in case it's an overheating problem; turn the computer off for some minutes to let it cool down.

It's usually just this one char. But I don't want to keep asking GMs to move my crashing char... it's a bit annoying for them!